Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the benefit of running?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SamforMayo wrote: »
    And I know people who never ran a step in their life and their joints are also f...ed.

If they had some genetic condition then if they did run serious miles on roads then they could be doubly f*cked.

This is like the "smoked all his life and lived till 90" line, without smoking he could have lived till 100 and been fitter in his later years.

As I said before I know loads of lads with wrecked knees, it is probably more down to twisting & turning in soccer/gaa sports, but the irony is they partook in sports to "stay fit" and ended up far less fit to do many simple tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't know if you're trying to get fitter there are healthier options than this, swimming for instance.

I could never do this, I always found running, swimming, cycling just for the heck of it just way too boring. Never got that endorphin thing either. I found playing ball was the way for me. Could be anything football, tennis, badminton, water polo, anything but pounding monotonously the roads the treadmill the lanes whatever. That way you have some fun plus you get to do all the running you want to do. Plus you become a little more versatile then just running.
    And before you say it some of those options aren't all that healthy either I know but what is.

Thats just me btw, not having a go at running. I know a lot of people love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I used to run 10km twice a week. I stopped running 5 weeks ago and I'm now swimming. I feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Aside from what you might find on a quick Google Search; Running is good for the brain apparently:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26841988

Although, apparently too much running is linked to shorter lifespans:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/study-too-much-running-linked-to-shorter-lifespans/
    there may simply be “too much wear and tear.” He said the “sweet spot” for running is a slow to moderate pace for a total of about 2.5 hours each week – about two to three times each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Would second the suggestion that running outside is preferable, my reason for saying so is more to do with the effect running outside would have on my mental health, seriously great way to de stress and have some time to yourself.

Running outside is better for mental health supposedly compared to running indoors, something to do with the horizon movement as you jog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just make sure to warm up before you head out on your run, every time... i would also recommend getting two pairs of runners.. might be worth looking at taking some glucosamine also 1 a day (1500mg) for your joints.. you will get a surge of endorphines from running ... get out and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Running and swimming are boring. I make it interesting by trying things I haven't done before.

Like when I was comfortably doing 40 laps in the pool I said why not try 60+ (a land mile). My next challenge is 75 (a nautical mile). Determination is what got me to that stage, not enjoying doing lengths (which is pretty crap when it's busy in the pool.
    JJJJNR wrote: »
    Just make sure to warm up before you head out on your run, every time... i would also recommend getting two pairs of runners.. might be worth looking at taking some glucosamine also 1 a day (1500mg) for your joints.. you will get a surge of endorphines from running ... get out and enjoy it.

+1

Also, work on mobility. It's something that if you try to do it after training for 6 months it'll be much harder. I don't think there's many people that frequent this forum that wouldn't like to have started mobility work sooner than they did.

Advertisement