Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercising but no weight loss

• 27-02-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

About this time last year I realised I needed to lose weight and did just that, just over two stone over a space of a few months bringing me down to 122 lbs. My gym membership was out at the end of summer last year so using the treadmill was out of the picture and I began going on walks but I did gain over 10lbs back.

I began another gym membership in the middle of January because no matter what I did I couldn't lose weight. I started using the elliptical machine instead of the treadmill due to injuries but I seem to be gaining weight instead of losing, I did lose some but have gained it back again and I know it's not due eating wrong because I'm keeping a good eye on it.

I'm currently 137lbs!!!! I'm 23 and go to the gym 5 days a week and use the elliptical machine for 33 minutes, what am I doing wrong? It's rather disheartening and it's just making me not want to go any more and finding it hard to push myself to do so.

Anyone else have any problems with this and could help me know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm also a girl, if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

sounds like you have hit a plateau what worked for me was changing up my workout maybe try doing more weights and less cardio, as your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over and you get less out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ewwen27

jimboblep wrote: »
    sounds like you have hit a plateau what worked for me was changing up my workout maybe try doing more weights and less cardio, as your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over and you get less out of it

Hi there. I thought the same myself which is why I did change it up, I stopped using the treadmill, mainly because of injury, and started using the elliptical. I also do a bit of weights but I'm a noob when it comes to that stuff and am probably not doing the right things but I'll look more into it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

what height are you and what's your daily diet like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

To get the most out of feedback you'd need to give more info on your food.

Exercise is the minor partner to food when looking to lose weight.

I would also recommend keeping an eye on your shape in a mirror rather than scales. Yes, whether male or female matters. You might also want to post your height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Depending on your height, you may not have much to lose at all which means it may be more difficult and, again depending on height, may be unnecessary. You may need to focus on building muscle for "toning" instead of weight loss; losing inches. But diet is 90% of it so you need to post up an honest day of what you eat generally.

• Advertisement

Okay, I'm 5"3.

My diet, well how do I explain that? My calorie intake can be between 1200 to 1400, I was told it could be too little but I'm never hungry enough to take more in. I'm not a big meat eater, red meats are a no for me so I eat more eggs and chicken. What else can I tell you? :confused:

Depending on your height, you may not have much to lose at all which means it may be more difficult and, again depending on height, may be unnecessary. You may need to focus on building muscle for "toning" instead of weight loss; losing inches. But diet is 90% of it so you need to post up an honest day of what you eat generally.

An honest day, okay. Well I tend to eat cereal for breakfast, mainly cornflakes or weetabix. For lunch I'd eat tuna on brown bread or just a bowl of tuna as I'm not a big lover of bread, other days I'd eat soup. Dinner would be the hardest part of my day... I tend to eat pasta or omlets, sometimes chicken casserole, I eat a lot of quorn as I don't like meat. Snacks would be cheese or salmon on crackers.

Also, if any of ye are into weight training and such, what would be the best for losing weight and toning for women? I'm at a complete loss when it comes to weight training and each site tells me something different.

Thanks for all your replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Ewwen27 wrote: »
    About this time last year I realised I needed to lose weight and did just that, just over two stone over a space of a few months bringing me down to 122 lbs. My gym membership was out at the end of summer last year so using the treadmill was out of the picture and I began going on walks but I did gain over 10lbs back.

I began another gym membership in the middle of January because no matter what I did I couldn't lose weight. I started using the elliptical machine instead of the treadmill due to injuries but I seem to be gaining weight instead of losing, I did lose some but have gained it back again and I know it's not due eating wrong because I'm keeping a good eye on it.

I'm currently 137lbs!!!! I'm 23 and go to the gym 5 days a week and use the elliptical machine for 33 minutes, what am I doing wrong? It's rather disheartening and it's just making me not want to go any more and finding it hard to push myself to do so.

Anyone else have any problems with this and could help me know what I'm doing wrong?

Dont lose heart !

Are you sure your diet is right ? losing weight/body fat is done in the kitchen, you can excersise till the cows come home if your not eating right your not gonna get see the results,

The keys to losing weight are simple things that are often overlooked

1: keep a diary of what your eating
    2: consistancy consistancy consistancy! going to the gym today and doing a brilliant work out then not doing a tap isnt gonna get you the results you want.
    3: Walking aswell, isnt great.. its better than nothing but theres far more effective workouts that will take way less time, Sprints,Swimming, skipping ect
    4: Track your weight , weigh yourself in the same place same clothing same time (every 2 weeks or so) not every 5 min as your weight will change thru out the day.

The most important thing of them all is not to give up, ever because you ll never see your results that way. its the most counter productive thing you can do, keep a postive attitude your not getting your results now but atleast your trying and your learning a lil bit every day and in general going the right direction.

Losing weight will take time, its not a sprint, its a marathon of consistancy, working out when you really dont want to!

Now if your really struggling and nothings working for you the most solid advice i can give you is, join a boxing or kickboxing club for there training (you wont have to fight just say you just wanna get in shape a good club will help you out its a fantasitc workout) And go to a dietitican they will give you a diet 100% will work they are pros! it will cost bout 100 euro give or take.

All the best anyway and keep at it!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Woah deja-vu of me a few years ago.

Post up exactly what you're eating. Everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Please post up a more complete food diary. Not just the foods you eat but the quantities of each. If you are trying to lose weight you need to measure everything to have a accurate measure of calorific intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Ewwen27 wrote: »

Wait... are you doing the same thing everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

your exercise time might not be the best, you might need to push some of your sessions up to an hour with a mix of exercises as the real fat burning will only happen in the latter half or you need to mix it up with high interval training so you really push your body and not just "coast" on a machine. Diet is where most of weight stabilisation will come from, if you were even eating one chocolate bar and a packet of crisps a day your body would always be in weight gain mode even if you believe you are exercising it off

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 MaileyDavis

For weight loss management, it is always recommended to follow the strict diet regimen coupled with good amount of exercise. However, many of the people are oblivious that deficiency of a vital hormone can have a serious impact on our lives. Human body has got a wonderful hormone - HGH, Human Growth Hormone , levels of which can be raised with HGH injections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

For weight loss management, it is always recommended to follow the strict diet regimen coupled with good amount of exercise. However, many of the people are oblivious that deficiency of a vital hormone can have a serious impact on our lives. Human body has got a wonderful hormone - HGH, Human Growth Hormone , levels of which can be raised with HGH injections.

the best thing since exercise :pac: . A decent regime of strenuous exercise will also release HGH and would be a more sustainable long term solution. I don't know in particular with this case but the body has a habit of forgetting to do/make things if you introduce artificial replacements.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Whatever you're eating, eat portions 2/3rds the size. Weight loss is simply using more calories than you consume. Exercise helps but the total quantity of food is the biggest factor. If you're not losing weight you're eating too much.

At your stats you'd need to eat 1400 calories per day just to stay at the same weight, and that's before exercise. So you couldn't be eating 1200-1400, it must be more like 1400-2000. Portion size is essential!

You have a healthy BMI, by the way, though on the upper end of the normal range.

You should definitely do more weights. Fit is better than thin in every way. If you have a bit more muscle you'll burn more calories just by being alive and will look much better than if you were just thin. Also!: Bear in mind that exercise builds muscle which is four times as dense as fat, so you can easily keep the same weight on the scales or even gain weight, but be shedding fat. This is good. Everyone should have lean mass.

The mirror is really the best judge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

If I were you I'd increase what I'm eating, that is if you're definitely only eating 1200-1400. Take a look at the foods you eat and the portions you take and make sure you're counting accurately. I also sometimes hear that not eating enough to meet your BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories your body needs at rest, if you were just lying still) that your metabolism slows down. So you may want to take it up a bit. 1500 or 1700 even. There are calculators online that can calculate your BMR and calculate how many calories you need at your exercise level (I like Losertown personally. It asks your gender, age and exercise level and shows you a week by week weight loss/gain based on how many calories you apply to it).

The only thing with the elliptical I can think of straight off the bat is that you might be thinking "I exercise moderately 5 days a week!" and maybe you're going slowly and overestimating how hard you're working.

I really like Jillian Michaels workouts :) Maybe you should try them. They're on youtube, or a lot of them are. I recommend six week sixpack (requires one weight, lasts 35 mins including warmup and cool down) or Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (55 mins long including warm up and cooldown, no weights required) . Or Yoga Meltdown (35 mins, no weight, no footwear). I don't know if you've ever used a DVD. You might think they're silly, but maybe just try one. It can be fun having someone talk to you, and to watch other people work out with you. It's engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Firstly well done on the weight loss.

Go see a proper strength and conditioning coach

They'll do you up a proper exercise programming.
    Stop fannying about on silly machines

Advertisement