Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭goose06

We will be monitoring the road surface over the coming weeks and if required an alternative route will be looked at

I meant to add in the Wall rather than avoid that section of road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WHEELSX2

Disappointed the Orwell route has changed so drastically... the wall, luggala and shay Elliott in one cycle - not on any other sportive/randonee... not to mention the stunning scenery... the little exclusive Greenane food stop... shur it was just class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is the new route easier compared to last year? I did last years and it was tough in spots but not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

WHEELSX2 wrote: »
    Disappointed the Orwell route has changed so drastically... the wall, luggala and shay Elliott in one cycle - not on any other sportive/randonee... not to mention the stunning scenery... the little exclusive Greenane food stop... shur it was just class.

Thanks for the feedback. We felt it was time to make a change to the route this year to freshen things up. It's one of the things that we think can kill an event when you do the same course every year but don't worry: we think this is actually harder than last years course.
    Riders will still be able to experience the stunning scenery assuming the weather is with us and we've got a nice spot picked out in Laragh for all your carrot cake needs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

I know last year I got a bit of a hammering by that wind that took a good bit out of me, but I really loved doing this event, especially as it was a little bit into the long evenings and it kicked off the buzzing for the summer. thanks for organising it!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Really disappointed i missed this event last year and i'm really looking forward to it this year. Great to see that its in aid of the Ross Nugent foundation again such a great cause, we will be doing a four day event for the same charity a couple of weeks later and the Randonnee will be a great warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orwell Randonnee

billyhead wrote: »
    Is the new route easier compared to last year? I did last years and it was tough in spots but not too bad

billyhead: The route this year is different but it is not easier - some people may find it tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

billyhead: The route this year is different but it is not easier - some people may find it tougher.

Just had a quick look there and there's an extra 400m of climbing compared to last years event.

Don't worry billyhead: we'll make sure that the chipper is open early enough for you should you get back quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

looking forward to it already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 WHEELSX2

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. We felt it was time to make a change to the route this year to freshen things up. It's one of the things that we think can kill an event when you do the same course every year but don't worry: we think this is actually harder than last years course.
    Riders will still be able to experience the stunning scenery assuming the weather is with us and we've got a nice spot picked out in Laragh for all your carrot cake needs!

Thanks Ghosty669, I can see that a Club should always seek to keep a route interesting especially if it is boring in the first place. The great attraction of the Orwell Randonee IMO was the unique challenge of the route including the Wall (forever in my memory) followed by Djouce followed by Lugalla, then Shay Elliott and then the best food stop of any Sportive. The last word to be used for such a route is boring. So why change something that works very well and is unique to Orwell and replace it with an average route that we all cycle on a regular basis? Change for change sake perhaps. A retrograde step IMO but wish you well nevertheless as it is a fine Club and always puts on a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

WHEELSX2 wrote: »
    Thanks Ghosty669, I can see that a Club should always seek to keep a route interesting especially if it is boring in the first place. The great attraction of the Orwell Randonee IMO was the unique challenge of the route including the Wall (forever in my memory) followed by Djouce followed by Lugalla, then Shay Elliott and then the best food stop of any Sportive. The last word to be used for such a route is boring. So why change something that works very well and is unique to Orwell and replace it with an average route that we all cycle on a regular basis? Change for change sake perhaps. A retrograde step IMO but wish you well nevertheless as it is a fine Club and always puts on a great event.

Average route we all cycle on a regular basis? Who exactly is "we all"? Or do you mean yourself?

I certainly don't cycle it regularly and welcome the change, spreads the pain more evenly throughout the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orwell Randonnee

Folks

If you are trying to download the route to your GPS device the following is a link to the route on a different mapping site. This new site appears to have an easier interface for downloading the routes.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI

Regards

Orwell Randonnee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

greenmat wrote: »
    Great event, first time last year, a tough test but very enjoyable. Defiantly up there with the best of them.

Join up again this year?

Edit: Defo leave the deep sections at home this year. Nearly took flight a number of times last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Join up again this year?

Edit: Defo leave the deep sections at home this year. Nearly took flight a number of times last year!

Plan to, was a great test last year. Yea that crosswind up the gap was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

My wife and baby son get back from almost three weeks away the day before this. Hmmm... tough decision as to what I should do. Not really. Great event. Great company. Super marshals and food. Entered!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Join up again this year?

Ah yes, remember those from last year. We were leaning at almost 45 degrees into the crosswinds and those deep sections gave our little group some entertainment.

Was going to do this again this year but got a lift with another participant last year who cannot do it this year. I will be coming from North County Dublin and will have to get the dart. Whats the nearest stop to the start at St Benildus college and how far is it and if possibly could someone give directions from the dart station? Just preparing in advance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Was going to do this again this year but got a lift with another participant last year who cannot do it this year. I will be coming from North County Dublin and will have to get the dart. Whats the nearest stop to the start at St Benildus college and how far is it and if possibly could someone give directions from the dart station? Just preparing in advance:D

LUAS green line (Stillorgan stop) will drop you on the doorstep, Benildus is 2 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

LUAS green line (Stillorgan stop) will drop you on the doorstep, Benildus is 2 mins away.

But you can't bring bikes on the Luas.

Blackrock looks closest on the map: http://goo.gl/maps/qWUKR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

buffalo wrote: »

Blackrock looks closest on the map: http://goo.gl/maps/qWUKR

From Blackrock its only 15 /20 min cycle grand warm up . .

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Wow! made the assumption that a newish modern public transport system would facilitate the ability to bring your bike with you (possibly outside rush hours, similar to DART)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

I had a flat once late at night. The Luas was quiet so I brought the bike on. I think I lasted to the next stop. The looks, tuts, sighs I was getting are those usually reserved for ever so slightly greater crimes. Not worth it.

Cheers guys. It would be 7am-7.30am in the morning when I would be getting the luas. How strict would they be about bringing the bike on the tram then? Otherwise the only option is the dart and use the 5km as the warm up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Wow! made the assumption that a newish modern public transport system would facilitate the ability to bring your bike with you (possibly outside rush hours, similar to DART)

I know. I've been ejected from it with a bike before. Tried to talk sense to them at a higher level later, but was stone-walled:
    > The National Cycle framework Policy, in relation to Luas states, "We
    > will provide for the carriage of bikes on LUAS when services are of a
    > frequency and at a capacity that allows for it. i.e. when it is
    > considered possible to carry bikes on carriages when they do not
    > interfere with the capacity for pedestrians". We constantly review and
    > analyse passenger numbers and travel patterns and unfortunately we still
    > believe it is not appropriate to allow bicycles on board trams, unless
    > they are the folding type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I know. I've been ejected from it with a bike before. Tried to talk sense to them at a higher level later, but was stone-walled:
    > we still
    > believe it is not appropriate to allow bicycles on board trams, unless
    > they are the folding type.

Folding type, eh? Maybe you could just "fold" the front wheel off for a few minutes. Maybe with the fornt wheel off it's not even a bicycle anymore, just awkward luggage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cheers guys. It would be 7am-7.30am in the morning when I would be getting the luas. How strict would they be about bringing the bike on the tram then? Otherwise the only option is the dart and use the 5km as the warm up:D

Really depends on the driver TBH, he may care, he may not. If the LUAS is your only option, you could remove both wheels, then try and carry it on as luggage or a piece of art :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also Kilmacud LUAS stop is the closest, less than 5 minutes walk.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Really depends on the driver TBH, he may care, he may not. If the LUAS is your only option, you could remove both wheels, then try and carry it on as luggage or a piece of art :p

Might chance the Luas so. I will have to conserve my energy for the event so the clsoer I am to the start point the better;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Might chance the Luas so. I will have to conserve my energy for the event so the clsoer I am to the start point the better;)

15 minutes from Blackrock DART Station isn't going to kill you.

The rest of it might :D

Advertisement