Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Just declaring now i will be running an anti-campaign against all candidates.

Including Inanimate Carbon Rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

How/Why do you intend doing that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Which will achieve? It's an interesting concept.... would it not have been easier to seek nomination though?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

The only way it could be effective is if we had Reopen nominations or RON on the ballot. It's like a none of the above option

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

I think it's actually a great shame and injustice that there is no RON / none of the above option on the ballot. I think the risk is lessened now but there is a chance a candidate will be elected unopposed. There should always be an option in my opinion, at this level certainly, for students to reject everyone on the ballot.

I think the college does a terrible job at transparency during elections. Kelly O'Brien is effectively in charge of every campus media outlet. In the other big colleges on this island, they have newspaper published by the SU and another published without SU interference.

Essentially all the candidates will run their entire campaign without being asked any difficult questions. A brave fellow might throw a toughie at them during hustings but their campaign team will just drown it out.

The Thomond Student Times, regardless of their intentions, never approach the real issues with the candidates. ULSUelect makes some attempt to bridge the gap but that blog is relying on hearsay and conjecture and isn't always reputable.

For example, will Kelly or Paddy be asked about their apparent complete lack of a working relationship? I'd bet my bottom dollar none of the 'news' outlets will even broach the subject of the fact Kelly orchestrated a smear campaign against a fellow officer.

Boards is a medium for querying candidates but I think its been shown that it isn't as impartial as it pretends to be. The fact that an admin and moderator is essentially a unofficial member of the su is testament to that.

My aim is to dissect the campaigns of as many candidates as I can and expose their frailties and weaknesses, which they all have, being human. The turn out this year is going to be about 4500, with 2/3 candidates in each category with no joke candidates running I expect the difference of 4-500 votes will be massive. I am of the strong opinion there are actually 4-500 students in this college who actually care who becomes elected and would love to vote while making an informed opinion. They will be the demographic I intend to target.

right now how it stands, is like the SU is like xtra-vision and you're only guide is the xtra-vision magazine which essentially says all the films are deadly. I think it's time UL got itself a rotten tomatoes.

I also have no idea how i will achieve any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

@roro1neil0. What are you looking for from "The fresh meat"?

well i'd need to do a lot of research to know what makes them tick. a couple of the candidate are completely new to me. it would be unfair to go after kob and pr and leave the others out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

I wish you well in your endeavours roro1neil0, a noble quest indeed. Hopefully your voice is heard through the inane crap that has become the norm from both the candidates and their easily bought, chattering groupies.

thanks colon.

even if i was to allocate 1 hour per candidate it would still take 10 hours or so to get through them all, in reality it will probably take a couple, if anyone is interested in helping out please pm me etc.

Have none of the campaigns put forward campaign pages for confirmation yet? Or is the mod still verifying what he's received?

i know it's the international weekend of going drinking but it's a very slow start for the campaigns.

• Advertisement

It is slow, Because it is the week that is in it.

All the advertising mediums have to be reviewed and approved.

And Friday, Was a very slow day.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Have none of the campaigns put forward campaign pages for confirmation yet? Or is the mod still verifying what he's received?

i know it's the international weekend of going drinking but it's a very slow start for the campaigns.

ulsuelect.com has already started linking to campaign pages for candidates on the candidates page

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

I think it's actually a great shame and injustice that there is no RON / none of the above option on the ballot. I think the risk is lessened now but there is a chance a candidate will be elected unopposed. There should always be an option in my opinion, at this level certainly, for students to reject everyone on the ballot.

Out of curiosity who said their wasn't going to be a RON option for the elections?

Or are you just referring to when there is only one person nominated - and that they should still have to go through an election? I suppose I can see your point with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

well i'd need to do a lot of research to know what makes them tick. a couple of the candidate are completely new to me. it would be unfair to go after kob and pr and leave the others out of it.

Cathal Ronan here, I declare I will be campaigning for myself. Any "dirt" you find feel free to ask me about it, I will gladly answer your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think the college does a terrible job at transparency during elections. Kelly O'Brien is effectively in charge of every campus media outlet. In the other big colleges on this island, they have newspaper published by the SU and another published without SU interference.

Essentially all the candidates will run their entire campaign without being asked any difficult questions. A brave fellow might throw a toughie at them during hustings but their campaign team will just drown it out.

The Thomond Student Times, regardless of their intentions, never approach the real issues with the candidates. ULSUelect makes some attempt to bridge the gap but that blog is relying on hearsay and conjecture and isn't always reputable.

For example, will Kelly or Paddy be asked about their apparent complete lack of a working relationship? I'd bet my bottom dollar none of the 'news' outlets will even broach the subject of the fact Kelly orchestrated a smear campaign against a fellow officer.

Boards is a medium for querying candidates but I think its been shown that it isn't as impartial as it pretends to be. The fact that an admin and moderator is essentially a unofficial member of the su is testament to that.

My aim is to dissect the campaigns of as many candidates as I can and expose their frailties and weaknesses, which they all have, being human. The turn out this year is going to be about 4500, with 2/3 candidates in each category with no joke candidates running I expect the difference of 4-500 votes will be massive. I am of the strong opinion there are actually 4-500 students in this college who actually care who becomes elected and would love to vote while making an informed opinion. They will be the demographic I intend to target.

right now how it stands, is like the SU is like xtra-vision and you're only guide is the xtra-vision magazine which essentially says all the films are deadly. I think it's time UL got itself a rotten tomatoes.

I also have no idea how i will achieve any of this.

Considering we weren't around this time last year I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion

We haven't exactly gone easy on the SU since our inception either

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

Hey guys, noticed people saying that there weren't any manifestos up online, mine has been on my facebook page since Thursday, but no one was reading it on the Info page, so shared it in a note located here and here's my manifesto in full if you don't want to like or view my page:
    Issued by Lorna Bogue, Campaign Manager for David Hartery

I’m a 4th year Law Plus student. I’ve been active the last 4 years in UL Clubs & Societies and ULSU initiatives, written for An Focal for the last two years and present a show on ULFM.

Experience
    Experience is so important for the SU at the moment with the trouble and turbulence it has experienced in the last year and with the obstacles the coming year will undoubtedly provide. I have wide experience of existing in an organisational structure like that in the SU and I will bring control and stability to the role. I've sat on the C&S Exec, chaired C&S council, been a member of the C&S Working Group into the Students' Union finances, been a PRO, Treasurer, Intervarsity Convenor and Auditor of the Debating Union.

Accountability
    I want monthly status reports from the ULSU executive. Everything going on in the Union will be available to students via the website and other media. If it's impossible to send out the minutes of Exec meetings (due to confidentiality of issues discussed or other factors), then status reports which summarise the position of the Union will be published to maximise transparency. Management accounts and audited accounts will continue to be published and available, just like they were at the end of this year.

An Focal will be preserved, especially important now that the Communications Officer is abolished. A strong student newspaper is invaluable in uncovering what is going on, as this year has proven. It is in the interests of everyone to have a strong news media. Editorial independence will be protected if you elect me. If I or any of the new sabbats are doing something that An Focal shouldn't be able to run then perhaps we shouldn't be doing that. If there are any obstacles to An Focal being as critical of the Union as it can be, I’ll remove them.

Good Governance
    I firmly believe the president is a representative primarily and an administrator second. In the Union there’s a democratic deficit, insofar as the neutering of Class Reps council and uncertainty over how the new constitutional changes will reflect in daily procedure has lead to many students feeling the Union is not working for them but against them. I will institute policies or procedures that maximise the voice of students within any new constitution. The president is a position that needs to constantly be aware that they serve at the pleasure of the students, making decisions for students in a way students can get behind. Too often have we seen decision made up on high and then it being communicated poorly by disconnected sabbats. I will absolutely endeavour to prevent such a thing from happening. Any decisions I make as president will be within the mandate of the electorate, with consultation from all affected parties. My first step when undertaking a policy decision will be communication, not unilateral decision making based on my own perception of what is best or what the rules are.

Costs
    While I understand that a more rigorous budgeting system is being introduced currently, I will work to ensure that there is complete accountability for SU Sabbats under any new system and that there is a stringent budgeting and allowance system to control costs. This budgeting system will be published in full, so that you know exactly how much your officers have to spend on your interests every year.

New Ideas
    Job training - a similar idea to the one that recently took place in Trinity College Dublin - basically, getting jobs in bars or cafés is really hard right now without experience. The SU could run some training courses in bar skills or becoming a barrista in the Stables or Scholars, people could pay a small amount of money for some useful life skills. Perfect for J1, summers jobs or something to do after graduation.

Laptop rental scheme - in the UCD library they have a number of laptops you can take out on your student card. Something like that for UL would be a great scheme to have, no more dragging books down to the computers on the ground floor or carrying a laptop into college just to leave it at your desk all day. If elected I will work with the library to try and bring about this plan.

We need to heal the divide between SU and C&S. Get SU more involved in aiding C&S by holding things like themed weeks (perhaps Arts Week, SU promotion and support of the weekly Music Soc Open Mike night, the Comedy Soc Open Mike etc, Rainbow Week) or large sporting events on campus. C&S are still the cheapest and effective way to have fun on campus.

Clubs and Societies
    Clubs and Societies made my UL experience over the last 4 years. Dramasoc, the Debating Union, the Kayak Club or any of the other countless societies I either joined or attended events of have been the most fun in college and all my best experiences are linked to C&S.

This year has been difficult for both the SU and Clubs and Societies. In the new world of budgetary constraint and money troubles, Clubs and Societies will be more important than ever since the SU ability to hold events will be curtailed. We need to heal the divide between SU and C&S. Get SU getting more involved in aiding C&S by holding things like themed weeks (perhaps Arts Week, SU promotion and support of the weekly Music Soc Open Mike night, the Comedy Soc Open Mike etc, Rainbow Week) or large sporting events on campus. C&S are still the cheapest and effective way to have fun on campus.

With concerns over the C&S autonomy and standing within the new constitution, I believe that the C&S should maintain complete autonomy over their own matters. I will work tirelessly to preserve it.

Lastly, with regard to the 4 year temporary financial assistance agreement, I will ensure that the Students Union hold up their side of the deal for as long as I am in office.

also tl;dr shiny shiny pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 wrote: »

That's McCambridge. :pac:

Any sign of the manifestos for any of the other candidates? I've seen Kelly's, Dave's and Jackie's, but what about the others? Or am I missing something?

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    That's McCambridge. :pac:

1d46318db61799cddc1c9b251aaf6c16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

There is a RON option for people to vote on. Its in the constitution that it must be given as a choice.

I know adam and dave so i thought i'd check out Eammon and see what his policies were as I've never heard of him before. I asked a few questions on his ideas and opinions and when he didn't have an answer or proof ( this is how it seems ) he branded me as a david hartery supporter and that my opinions didn't matter cause they went against what he thought. He has lost any chance of getting my vote and i doubt he'll get much support so i'll be considering the president election a two horse race.

https://www.facebook.com/VoteEamonnHorganforULSUPresidentUPr/posts/192773924168688?notif_t=feed_comment_reply

Link to the posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

have to laugh at the cronyism comment when they are running on a "ticket", be fun to see how they work together then if one of the three didnt get in

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

he branded me as a david hartery supporter and that my opinions didn't matter cause they went against what he thought.

If you want to be a David Hartery supporter, I'd be glad to have you! :D

Tighearnan wrote: »
    There is a RON option for people to vote on. Its in the constitution that it must be given as a choice.

I know adam and dave so i thought i'd check out Eammon and see what his policies were as I've never heard of him before. I asked a few questions on his ideas and opinions and when he didn't have an answer or proof ( this is how it seems ) he branded me as a david hartery supporter and that my opinions didn't matter cause they went against what he thought. He has lost any chance of getting my vote and i doubt he'll get much support so i'll be considering the president election a two horse race.

https://www.facebook.com/VoteEamonnHorganforULSUPresidentUPr/posts/192773924168688?notif_t=feed_comment_reply

Link to the posts

Screen capped just in case. That's a pretty stupid comment to make. Accusing someone a being a supporter of another candidate is just immature and doesn't actually answer anything. Will be hard to redeem himself in my eyes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Would just like to declare I shall be supporting Paddy Rockett, Adam Moursy and Cathal Ronan.

Seems to me a few of the new faces have no idea what is actually involved in the job they are campaigning for and that's just from looking at their posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

That's a pretty poor start, all I took from reading the profile was that he's sound and everyone in the union is a waste of space and/or a bully.

Haven't posted in here yet and in terms of declaring interest seeing as I ran in the same election as Paddy and Kelly I know them well enough, not to mention being to blame for bringing a young Adam Moursy onto a C&S committee. :P

Best of luck to everyone involved, hope it's a clean fight and all that. Remember to not let the whole thing get to you and it will be one of the best weeks of your life, although my campaign manager will always remember it as a form of torture!

Tom

djnr8 wrote: »
    Would just like to declare I shall be supporting Paddy Rockett, Adam Moursy and Cathal Ronan.

Seems to me a few of the new faces have no idea what is actually involved in the job they are campaigning for and that's just from looking at their posters.

Have you read all the Posters?

I know that William Jennings has put up one that Tighearnan has given him a good Drilling lol.

Merger wrote: »
    Have you read all the Posters?

I know that William Jennings has put up one that Tighearnan has given him a good Drilling lol.

I have looked at all posters that are currently available, through facebook at least. Still working my way through manifestos.

Is there any way of linking manifestos here?

• Advertisement

Link to the posts

Is this definitely true? I distinctly remember not having this an option last year. Am I mistaken or was it not implemented?

Advertisement