Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Irish ever get over their drink culture?

• 03-02-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

I'm off it 8 months now and loving it. I quit because I wasn't enjoying it anymore. It was making me miserable with no apparent benefits so I said enough is enough. My life has changed unrecognisably since then and I feel much more fulfilled, plus of course, much more alert, better concentration and memory, digestion, less anxious and depressed - etc etc etc.

The only thing I wish is that more of my fellow country men/women would quit too (or never start). Purely because I hate being such an odd one out at social events (yes, selfish outlook, I know!)

Do you think the next generation coming up (for example, the current 10 year olds) might be different in their outlook to alcohol? Maybe the recession would make better examples of their parents?

And before someone has a go at me, I'm not saying people shouldn't drink, I'm just wondering if every teenager in the future, forever more will be under such enormous pressure to binge with their mates because they can't see any alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dial Square

Well done Hubba ...I'm off it since New Years Eve...feel so much better without it, I wasnt a big drinker but just got fed up of the hangovers & anxiety the day after etc...I'm in my thirties & cant understand the shot culture among twentysomethings, it has to do long term damage..I have two kids myself & am hoping that they will be teenagers in a society with a different outlook on drink in years to come...i think attitudes are changing, a big step would be banning alcohol advertising in sports imo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

(I'm off it 8 months now and loving it. I quit because I wasn't enjoying it anymore. It was making me miserable with no apparent benefits so I said enough is enough. My life has changed unrecognisably since then and I feel much more fulfilled, plus of course, much more alert, better concentration and memory, digestion, less anxious and depressed - etc etc etc.)

Well done hubba on your 18 months alcohol free,Being alcohol free over 3 years now myself I can relate to all them positive changes you have said :)

(The only thing I wish is that more of my fellow country men/women would quit too (or never start). Purely because I hate being such an odd one out at social events (yes, selfish outlook, I know!)

Don't think that will ever happen as most people are not problem drinkers and enjoy there few glasses and pints,Actually I have read that Ireland has more people who abstain from alcohol than any other european country.From one extreme to another it seems.

(Do you think the next generation coming up (for example, the current 10 year olds) might be different in their outlook to alcohol? Maybe the recession would make better examples of their parents?)

I would have hope that this is happening with people becoming more aware of binge drinking and the damage that alcohol is & can do to one,s health,It wasn't to long ago that it was quite acceptable socially to drink & drive and personelly would hope that the same sort of knoledge can extend to binge and abusive drinking as in its not so cool to be slaughtered drunk anytime we drink.

(And before someone has a go at me, I'm not saying people shouldn't drink, I'm just wondering if every teenager in the future, forever more will be under such enormous pressure to binge with their mates because they can't see any alternative?)

Its the same peer pressure that has young people smoking but that is changing,so as I have said we can live in hope,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Congrats guys!

No I don't think we will get over this culture and it's sad to see such wasted potential! As this generation grows older we'll definately see an increase in liver problems, cancer related diseases and social problems.

My friend doesn't drink and he is very uncomfortable when he goes out with us. I've tried it myself for a while and it's definately not easy on a night out! Fair play to you guys, i've great respect for ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

I dont drink alcohol- I never did either. I find its hard socially not to drink. I have met girls in the past and I get on great with them, soon as I say I dont drink they suddenly get paranoid and suspicious of me. THey seem to think that if Im in a pub and not drinking, then of course Im on the prowl to see who can I take advantage off. Guys think Im a weirdo. Other people think Im a tightass and others go on about how they would love not to drink... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im 19 by the way, so I dont think our current 10 year olds will fare out too different, maybe the babies being born now, they might be different... but this drinking culture is so ingrained in the mindset that I cant see anything changing for a good decade or two yet...... Id love to be proven wrong, but I just cant see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Congrats guys!

No I don't think we will get over this culture and it's sad to see such wasted potential! As this generation grows older we'll definately see an increase in liver problems, cancer related diseases and social problems.

That's just it - it's such wasted potential. Talents left untapped an unexplored and growth/development just stunted in general. Such a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In order to get over the drink culture, it would have to be established first that there's a problem with our drink culture. That's never going to happen; anyone who tries to suggest the problem is labeled a "dry arsed auld ****" and are ostricised from society, making it impossible to do anything about it. As such, others become too scared to speak up against Ireland's drink culture, choosing to become part of it and accepted rather than a social reject. :/

Advertisement