Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

159km yesterday, 145 or so today. Tomás Mulligan memorial cycle First time giving 'William' a real test of distance and spped. Cyclists are very nice creatures altogether, little shocked about that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

112km. Cork- ballinadee-ballinspittle-kinsale and back. Last chance for a decent spin before the SKT. left at 8 and twas a bit chilly that time. Considered wearing some layers but decided against it. Glad I did, 'twas v warm by 930. Lovely morning to be out, the place was looking well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

From my house in Dundrum to Enniskerry and back is about 23.5km. I used to do it the odd time on my old heavy mountain bike in about 1 hour 5 mins. Now that I'm out cycling everyday on my new racer and my fitness has improved I decided to do the old route today. I did it in 49.27.

I'm quite happy with that :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin up from Wexford yesterday, Enniscorthy, Slaney drive to Bunclody, Carnew, Aughrim, Rathdrum, Laragh, Roundwood, Enniskerry and home. Celebrations going on in Bunclody and Rathdrum, with the main street in Rathdrum closed off for an uphill hay bail push by the local mounainy men. L leisurely 140k and a few laughs on route. Had planned on taking in Glenmacnass on the final leg, but after a lovely coffee and cake in the sun at the hippy cafe got a bit lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I cycled from Malahide to Dublin city centre this morning. At Earlsfort Terrace a van pulled out in front of me. I was forced to extend my arm with thumb and index finger touching, gesticulate wildly and shout "Cosa fai stupido!".
    All is well with the world..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Hour long cycle in 35 degree heat on Sentosa island in Singapore. With the OH on dodgy rented mountain bikes. Good fun, slow pace. :D Nice to loosen the legs a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Did a leisurely 60km spin yesterday evening, lovely evening for it, preparing for the SKT, took in a wee climb in Ballyduff, where there's quite a few climbs to choose from, it was 3km @ 8.1% (or 2.5km @ 9%), a nice little quad/lung buster .
    I was tempted to call in to a friend of mine who lives half up up the climb for a PEA (performance enhancing alcohol) to get me to the top of the climb :p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

First cycle with new Garmin edge 500 today and my longest one

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107088152

Probable too long for me, really felt sore in the last 15km. Delighted to do it and get it done, but will stay around the 40-50km for a couple of weeks before I try this one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Saturday was a family cycle from Achill Sound to Mulranny (sp?) great 20k or so with the little fella doing 10k for the first time. I pulled my baby boy for that was truly knackerd.

Today did 20 km in ashbourne time down from 1hr 6mins to 56 mins need to get my training going as doing a 50km cycle for the DAA charity from Dublin airport to balbriggan and back.

feel embarrassed posting 20km though you guys hitting 140km etc... real noob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

First time taking the new bike for a spin round phoenix park , clocked up 30K getting there and doing Laps .

Pedestrians and slow Cycling Tourist groups are a PITA tho , Really didnt wanna go onto the grass on the new bike but had to for 3 ignorant Teeny boppers who would part.. they were walking against me so no reason not to move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BrookieD wrote: »
    Saturday was a family cycle from Achill Sound to Mulranny (sp?) great 20k or so with the little fella doing 10k for the first time. I pulled my baby boy for that was truly knackerd.

Doing the greenway next weekend with the family, and expect to have to give our younger girl a few tows along the way.
    feel embarrassed posting 20km though you guys hitting 140km etc... real noob

Distances stack up surprisingly quickly once you're comfy on the bike. Enjoy your first 50k spin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lovely morning for it today. I was tired though. The non-cycle training is taking its toll on my cycling god damnit! I was very seriously glad of the tail wind / no wind (whichever it was - met says both).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

another 20 km logged here
    http://app.strava.com/activities/1284346

just a question, on Strava it states on the same route three different elevation figures on the three different days i did the ride.

day one was 107
    day two was 234
    day three was 283

what is this and why is it so different?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

BrookieD wrote: »
    another 20 km logged here
    http://app.strava.com/activities/1284346

just a question, on Strava it states on the same route three different elevation figures on the three different days i did the ride.

day one was 107
    day two was 234
    day three was 283

what is this and why is it so different?

cheers

I think its not actually plotting the exact same route each time. Also you can see your starting elevation is different each time for example. I dont think strava has any elevation correction (yet), so its relying on the accuracy of the data fed from the device. My Garmin for example constantly gets the start elevation wrong, I think its good at working out the changes though. Im by no means an expert though.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭superbad50

new to the cycling , but i managed to cycle to blessington town centre and back to crumlin , windmill road. not sure of the distance but my god was i wrecked. can only imagine what lance armstrong went through. my bike is a felt z100. hope to keep it up as i am burning lots of calories

any advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

same as that, beginner on felt bike. did 26k today in 1hr 5 min, 5th cycle since getting bike. complete beginner but enjoying it. trying to keep going on hills is killing me... ha ha :):)

same as that, beginner on felt bike. did 26k today in 1hr 5 min, 5th cycle since getting bike. complete beginner but enjoying it. trying to keep going on hills is killing me... ha ha :):)

let the calve muscles grow , hoo ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

new to the cycling , but i managed to cycle to blessington town centre and back to crumlin , windmill road. not sure of the distance but my god was i wrecked. can only imagine what lance armstrong went through. my bike is a felt z100. hope to keep it up as i am burning lots of calories

any advice welcome

How long that take you? Thinking of taking the bike out same route on Sunday, see how I'm feeling and the weather is ok and try do a few more km after that. First proper cycle since getting the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Had an hour to kill and test my bike after a fresh service. Headed out to Sutton cross and back into town. First few K were dealing with the lights and then managed a pace of 30+Kph out and back with a slight headwind. After getting battered in 5 a side last night my legs are feeling it. Day of rest tomorrow :)

Roddy23 wrote: »
    How long that take you? Thinking of taking the bike out same route on Sunday, see how I'm feeling and the weather is ok and try do a few more km after that. First proper cycle since getting the bike.

it took me a bout 1 hour 20 minutes going up , a bit of a climb going up. around 50 minutes coming home . good cycle all the same . burned around 1600 calories so not a bad days work

• Advertisement

f1000 wrote: »
    Had an hour to kill and test my bike after a fresh service. Headed out to Sutton cross and back into town. First few K were dealing with the lights and then managed a pace of 30+Kph out and back with a slight headwind. After getting battered in 5 a side last night my legs are feeling it. Day of rest tomorrow :)

thats the stuff . no pain no gain. might try that cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

After 2-3 weeks out of the saddle I passed the 60Km mark yesterday, (62Km) which was a big milestone for me..took me 2hrs 35mins in quite windy conditions....

On track for the Sean Kelly 90km Sunday week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 recentlybigl

From Greystones out to kilpeader up the tooman road towards ballinastoe turning right at djouce golf club and then down to kilmac around the bends around the sugarloaf. Sun shining, brisk talk wind down hill and fatboy slim album on head phones...Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

superbad50 wrote: »
    thats the stuff . no pain no gain. might try that cycle

If you do head out as far as Sutton crossroads you could then tackle Howth hill. Would have done it last night but had no lights and sun was setting on my way back. Will do it in the morn, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Went on a "mini-tour" of south Dublin today after about 4 weeks of holiday indulgence.
    Did about 40-50km, not really sure.

The wind was very dangerous today, that and the stupid woman that slammed on at the last second to turn a corner in Dundrum and almost put me through her back window.

Slicks, damp roads and breaking hard on hills... Don't want to go through that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Around 1km to the top of the park and back with alot less pain than last weekend, slowely getting better! New bike being ordered this weekend which lifts spirits even more. Cant wait to head out on spins again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

left work in blackrock with the intention of going home up and over sally gap and then onto tallaght via kilbride, didn't happen-wind just beat me down!

instead took a left at glencree then over to glencullen via devil's elbow (thanks to another thread i now know what that wee killer climb is called), back over to stocking lane and home, so not a total disaster.

def noticing it's getting dark sooner though, will miss the longish evening spins in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amberhues

50km from home out Edmondstown Rd and up the Cruagh Wood climb and back home. Checking if the extra miles I'm getting in since starting to commute regularly would make a difference. Nope, it didn't get any easier.... But I did get faster. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Was out for a 30k cycle this with a mate. Nothing too fast. About 15km into it we were on the hard shoulder of a main road, 2 abrest. We were chatting away and a guy came up behind us on a bike, we didn't see him coming. He started shoutiing "coming through" so we went single file to let him past. As he passed, he kinda tut tutted and said "slow cyclists should stick to the back roads". :confused: . We kept going at the same pace and about 5km later we started to catch on him. Another km and we were right behind him and he was panting. As we passed him, he cursed us and said that we had broken his stride earlier on :rolleyes: . The cheek of some people.

Anyway, it was a lovely morning for a cycle and we enjoyed it :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

reilig wrote: »
    Was out for a 30k cycle this with a mate. Nothing too fast. About 15km into it we were on the hard shoulder of a main road, 2 abrest. We were chatting away and a guy came up behind us on a bike, we didn't see him coming. He started shoutiing "coming through" so we went single file to let him past. As he passed, he kinda tut tutted and said "slow cyclists should stick to the back roads". :confused: . We kept going at the same pace and about 5km later we started to catch on him. Another km and we were right behind him and he was panting. As we passed him, he cursed us and said that we had broken his stride earlier on :rolleyes: . The cheek of some people.

Anyway, it was a lovely morning for a cycle and we enjoyed it :D:D:D

I hope ye asked him did he want to "sit in " behind ye.

P***K

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement