Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kellt

45 k around lusk balbriggan, naul with ro06. great weather lumpy route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

50km cycle with two buddies.. cycled up st patricks hill and died at the top.. pretty much cycled around cork city. Legs are still hurting a bit but sure what harm :D Nice day for a cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Douglas-Ringaskiddy-Carrigaline-5mile-Home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213080106222772273462.0004a8c561b0557c14a0e&msa=0&ll=53.273837,-9.183197&spn=0.170607,0.308647
    Almost 44km
    Just getting into cyclng. Could anyone suggest some more loops around galway please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

40km around East Meath with my son and he tried to drop me at least three times - including when we were heading up Bellewstown!! I think watching the highlights from the Alpe gave him some ideas above his station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

dermiek wrote: »
    19.6 km in 57 mins approx.
    Mostly flat.
    I'm fairly new to cycling, I'm 50 and overweight.
    Will probably never enter a race or sportive,
    will definitely never win one if I do.
    BUT.... I love cycling.
    I just don't get enough chance to go out.

Just take every chance you can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

30km yesterday - Berrings, Coachford, Dripsey, Cloghroe, Berrings - 1 hr 30mins

and 38km today - Berrings, Cloghroe, Dripsey, Coachford, Donoughmore, Berrings - 1hr 35mins.

First two spins out in a while but it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Was coming back from Dun Laoghaire, so about 17 km and someone walked out in front of me, the back wheel is bent assuming it has to be replaced how much should this cost me in a shop don't want to be ripped off thanks everyone :)

I have a city bike, just fingers crossed I don't get ripped off eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I did my usual 45km commute from Meath to Dublin today, lovely day for it. I left the gears alone for the full trip, so 34/12 the whole way in. My trip time was much the same as usual at 1'26", but my legs are a bit sore due to pushing a big gear up the hills, particularly the hill over the M50 just before Auburn avenue which is 10% at its toughest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

My new Sunday long ride: Cork - Macroom - Cork

This time I went out along the R618 and back the same way.

Too much traffic on the N22 and lack of hard shoulder for the first 1/4 or so makes it too dangerous for me.

71K in 2 3/4 hours = just under 26k p/h. So happy with that since I felt comfortable the entire time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Did my first cycle over 50km today, somewhat improvised from drumcondra to sally gap(r115), down by lock tay(what a decent!!) back up the N11 then R117

got, frustratingly, lost quite a few times, so my riding partner and i were about to kill one another

final tally:
    89km
    ~4hrs
    av:22kph(but it was my first time climbing anything bigger than the hill of howth....and it was alot bigger 0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Early start. Left home at 7.20. Dun Laoghaire/Dundrum/Johnny Foxes/Viewing Point/bloody gravel all over the shop/Sally Gap/Ballinastoe and a quick coffee in Enniskerry. Just me and Gasco. The old(ish) lady who I always meet near Kippure told me it was wet. When she says put your jacket on, you put your jacket on. So I did.
    A tourist got me on video climbing up near Lough Tay. As I was wearing my Boards Jersey I was forced to climb at speed and give the impression of being awesome*

My knee has been in bits so it was nice to get up a few hills.

*failed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My brother got a bike on the B2W thing, and hasn't cycled in 20 years. Fair dues to him, he'd already done 2 x 25km flat spins during the week and accepted my offer to take him on another flat 25km spin yesterday. I let him direct it, both speed and direction wise and while we weren't bulling it, he ended up doing 50km @ 23km/h around Maynooth, Lucan and Celbridge. 100km in his first week on a bike in 20 years, fair dues to him. He's probably in ribbons today though.

Stopped at the River Café beside Stagg cycles for coffee & a scone. Tasty.

The trip from my house to his is 13km, so a fairly easy 76km overall for me, though I made of point of hammering it both ways to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Yesterday up stock Lane and along Military Rd until some sort of temporary surface. Road was busy enough and my phone was dead, so I left it, which was a bit negative. Today, just to work along Tallaght bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭thebourke

I did my daily commmute to work this morning from kimmage to leopordstown...distance 11.48km's.....it took me 31 minutes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Just starting the second week of my new early morning cycles. 16.1km in 42 minutes at an average of 22.5 kmph with a few hills thrown in along the way. they say that when you do something 10 times in a row, its starts to be come a habbit - so here's hoping!! Already waking up 10 minutes before the alarm every morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

Tour de Kilkenny 107k , a/s 27 kmph, great weather & great day

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/581475

Cycled from dublin to galway as fast as I could! Been wanting to do this for ages and with zero wind and overcast sky forecast, and having no other plans whatsoever, I kinda had to go for it today. 228KM in 7 hours 45 minutes with a 20 minute break in Kilbeggan for a coffee and a roll. Is that good?

Tough going at times but a nice spin, having been born and bred in county wicklow I found the midlands seriously dull though, it got a bit more interesting after athlone. Anyhows haven't really been out there on the bike before, maybe the old galway road is hardly the best of it!

(ps. don't ask what happened between moate and athlone... a combination of a serious lack of signage, poor post lunch concentration and a stupid unwillingness to take the map out during a shower...urgh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

58 miles around thr Ards Penninusla, glorious weather, avg 19mph. One of the guys had his alloy stem snap a about 2 mins after a long 40mph decent. Luckily happened at slow speed but nasty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely spin in Kerry yesterday, Waterville, Ballaghiseen, Glencar, Lough Caragh, Glenbeigh, Cahirciveen, Waterville. Ranks among the best cycling scenery I've hit to date in Ireland, and I'd thoroughly recommend the spin over Ballaghisheen if you're in the vicinity. Back to Dublin today, and missing the Kerry back roads already. Shame it's so far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

My 5 year old did 15km through the woods at Glenasmole Reservoir today on an Islabikes Cnoc 16 (3rd time this week), a mixture of tarmac and forest trails, I had to tell him I was tired so that he would stop and go home! Better that I could manage at 5. Apparently we're going again tomorrow:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I finally got my early Saturday morning cycle started at lunchtime today (Sunday). Puncture from a pot hole / hedge cuttings on road after about 1.5km (not sure, small hole doesn't look like a pinch flat, but went down fast. Bent a tyre lever (cheap lidl ones) taking tyre off so had to use the flat blade on my multi-tool to remove tyre which dinged my rim. Found nothing in the tyre, fitted spare tube and went on my merry way. 2 min later the wife rang and said that our dinner with the in-laws was brought forward so could I cut my cycle short. I turned around and just went home.
    Total about 4km.
    Some days are better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

did my 2nd run from Ashbourne going north on n2,
    just over 10km as i am starting a fresh, first run was 34 mins a/s 18 km
    today was 28 mins a/s 22km,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I cycled back ( to Dublin ) from Camolin Wexford - down for the weekend testing my new Carradice Nelson Longflap saddlebag. 119K and a very modest average speed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Started at lismore and went at the Vee from that side first and on over to Clogheen, and then did the return trip, some ramps on either side are quite testing but mostly ok. Took it handy as kiilkenny was still in my legs.
    The surface is heavy enough and be on your gaurd for the Pink and blue sheep, lol. Last time i was here was in the Tour de Cure in the middle of a storm so at least this time i got to see some of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Did my usual Rush to Mount St. 28.5k. 1:05.

But it was on my new(second hand) SPD pedals and shoes. Yeah for me I didn't Fall :D, fingers crossed fr the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Dunno if this counts but...cycled from Cork to Greystones hugging the coast as we (myself and Ghostrider) went. Four days of gentle cycling but the south east coast turns out to be a revelation if you haven't been down there, especially if you avoid the N and R roads (which is easily done).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Johnners1878

Did my first Category 4 climb up the Curlew Mountains last night. Need some more hill time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

did 47km around leixlip/maynooth/kilcock/maynooth/celbridge/lucan average speed 29.5 kmh which im happy with starting to get the distances up.....very tired after my week away :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

102km just shy of 1000mtr climbing in a long loop from Glantane via Bweeng, Donaghmore, Courthbrack, Blarney, Tower, Nadd mountain, Nadd, Banteer, Lombardstown and 2 short laps around Gortroe to build the km. Rained the whole way and the first 40 ish km was largely into the wind.
    Officially my longest spin ever, not bad for a fat bloke.
    The standard felt saddle gets seriously un-comfy after 70km and I need to get overshoes.
    details here:
    http://www.strava.com/rides/102-kilometers-1129904?units=meters

bertie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement