Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

47km last evening with 674m climbing at 24.6kph, up Cruagh Rd to Glencullen down to Kilternan, was supposed to turn Left for home , turned Right instead to Enniskerry, glad I did as it was only then that my legs started to behave.
    Beautiful evening, loving this weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/281684965

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

From home to Dublin via Rathdrum, Laragh, Roundwood, Bray. 61kms or so - strava ignored all but the first 20km or so😠. Serves me right for using the phone rather than the garmin. Another glorious day though and gradually getting a little more comfortable on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

alentejo wrote: »
    1st century of the year :).Good god N81 is terrible to cycle on..

Head for Ballyknockan, Lacken and Manor Kilbride instead and stay off the N81 till Brittas. From there you have a shortish narrow stretch until you get to the top of the Embankment. Alternatively, if you want a bit more pain you can head up Seskin from Brittas and rejoin the N81 on the outskirts of Tallagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Have we got an unusual wind direction at the moment? I'm tearing down Military road these last couple of days. Touching 70km/h at times.

I've even been passing out cars :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Nipped out this evening based on the forecast for tomorrow being iffy, lovely evening if blustery in spots. Managed 43km @27kmph, but more impressive (for me) is that it takes me over 120km in the last seven days:) I know for some posters that's less than a single spin, but I'm very pleased :D

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Other evening had a lovely cycle in the middle of the sunny spell, which seems to have ended for now as its lashing rain and windy again this evening.

Cycled to work at 6am that morning so was dark enough when leaving but starting to brighten, was beautiful.

Then cycled back in the evening via the garden center and then went back towards Kerryhead.

Only 40km but a lovely cycle none the less and I try do it as often as I can.

Had an opportunity to do a different type of cycling ( for me) today: instead of gentle cycles along the quiet, sylvan lanes of South Wicklow I was able to experience the madness of Dublin City centre - 19 Kms on the hybrid from Phoenix park to Parnell Square and then on via the wonderful N11 to the 'burbs. Going up O Connell St was fun: there is, apparently, a cycle lane - and at one stage I think I got to within a traffic lane of it. I was too busy dodging buses, taxis, pedestrians, pigeons whilst trying not to scream from the pure adrenaline rush of it - a mixture of pure fear and enjoyment. Sublime madness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Glasnevin - Swords - Skerries - Loughshinny - Rush - Glasnevin

63 km. 23 kph average.

Happy with that. But ferrocious winds. Nice few bumpy hills too. I'm not a climber but starting to encorporate some hill work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ozzy jr wrote: »

And on a continuous white line too !

I cycled a mere 10km yesterday, only getting back on the bike after a longgg time off, I really missed not cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Have we got an unusual wind direction at the moment? I'm tearing down Military road these last couple of days. Touching 70km/h at times.

Only 70? :cool::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cycling at along the south canal today, abreast with a friend, suddenly an adult swan lands on his back. One on my biggest wtf moments ever.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Finished work and headed up Ballinascorney/Sally Gap/Featherbeds and down Stocking lane. It's becoming my regular hill training loop, I still need loads of metres if I'm going to get up the mountains on holidays.

"Go on Steve, sure what do you want long bib and long sleeve jersey for? FFS, its nearly Summer.
    Ah, I'll throw on the jersey, might be breezy up there, maybe the overshoes.
    Whaattt??? You're from the OX Mountains. Real Weshty mountains, not these soft Jackeen things. You'll be grand, sure you'd do this in your underpants.
    Ya, I probably could but feck it I'll stick on the jersey just in case.

See, Its lovely up here, PR on the Ballinascorney climb, cruising now....barely a cloud in the sky....except for that small one over there beyond Blessington. Go on, not a bother, nearly at the top of the Sally now, sure we'll head for Kippure....
    Ya, why not. Is that cloud getting close? It's after getting a bit breezy now...
    Jesus Christ my ears, my legs ....Hail Stones!!!! Oh that's awful bloody sore. Where has the warmth gone? Headwind too?? FFS
    What the hell is going on with my forhead? NNGhhh...It's like I've eaten too much ice cream too fast. Oh God almighty that's fkn perishing, I can hardly breath.
    And now my glasses are fogging up. And now my fingers and toes are going numb. F%$K Kippure!!!! Get me the hell off this abomnibal mountain quick before I freeze to death. Where's my overshoes? Gloves? Long Bib ? Steve, you are a stupid prick.

Oh wait, here's the sunshine again just as I start to descend. No worries at all....except for a vicious gust of wind through a gate halfway down Stocking lane. Ah sure here, have another blast of hailstones for the craic."

46km in 2:11 with 849m climbing.
    Got a pile of PRs on the climbs. They don't get easier but I am getting a tiny bit faster.

And I'm never listening to myself again

https://www.strava.com/activities/283318138

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set off today after the young lad's hurling match. It was a bit later than I'd hoped for. Standing watching the hurling match (they lost btw), I felt the wind. I thought to myself "the ould cycle will be a bit of torture with this wind"

So, hurling done and dusted, I donned full winter clobber after my pitch side experience and set off with a mate. We struggled out the Tallaght Bypass and went up the Embankment with the wind p1ssing us off the whole way. We continued with our struggle around Blessington Lakes, through Valleymount and turned left in Blessington for Naas. The wind was once again in our faces but at least it's predominantly downhill to Naas.

At Naas we stopped for a coffee and as we sipped, big dark clouds loomed and the associated hailstones fell at an alarming rate. Thankfully we were sheltered by a Maxol canopy. I looked at my bike (I do this regularly) and then I thought :eek: the mudguard is at home! So despite the fact that the rain had stopped, I got drenched at the rear by my almost worn Michelin Pro 4. Absoultely drenched. My backside was soaked and cold. I yelled at the Bus Éireann driver who squeezed me into a massive puddle that I was trying to avoid. I called him a wank3r but obviously he didn't hear and he probably didn't realise that I was trying to avoid said puddle.

Anyway, I made it home with 92km on the clock. Usually I'd carry on and turn that into 100km but I was cold, wet and tired. The thoughts of another 4km into the wind (and 4km in the opposite direction) just didn't seem as inviting as a warm shower and food so I turned into the driveway.

92km, 710m @ 23.1km/h.

Thankfully the weather forecast for the coming week is looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Headed down to Sundrive today. Cycling there, training and cycling home amounted to 55k and brought me up to 115 for the week so far. I've managed to get over 100k for the last three weeks in a row. Like someone said a few pages back, that's nothing for some of the guys on here, but I'm delighted with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Alek wrote:
    Cycling at along the south canal today, abreast with a friend, suddenly an adult swan lands on his back. One on my biggest wtf moments ever.

Where about on the canal was that??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Where about on the canal was that??

Park West Business Park, more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kilty_lad

Cycled out to St Anne's park from Irishtown for the Parkrun this morning. Ran my 5k in a new PB 19.25 and then hopped on the bike again on to Howth summit followed by Portmarnock then Malahide. Turned around to face a daunting wind and went back the same route taking in Howth summit and along the coast road to Clontarf.

Delighted to get 70km at 25.2km/hr (+5km run) after purchasing a new set of wheels during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

331k today - my longest cycle to date (3,183 metres climbing averaging 25.1 km/h. Had registered for the Ardattin 200k Audax so decided to cycle the 52k from Rush to the start line in Bray. I also cycled home from the finish taking a detour via Sutton/Portmarnock to stretch the ride a bit. Tough going into the energy sapping headwinds earlier in the day.

https://app.strava.com/activities/283520142

(The Ardattin 200 is described as being a 'flat' Audax! I seemed to have spent half the day out of the saddle!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kilty_lad

331k today - my longest cycle to date (3,183 metres climbing averaging 25.1 km/h. Had registered for the Ardattin 200k Audax so decided to cycle the 52k from Rush to the start line in Bray. I also cycled home from the finish taking a detour via Sutton/Portmarnock to stretch the ride a bit. Tough going into the energy sapping headwinds earlier in the day.

(The Ardattin 200 is described as being a 'flat' Audax! I seemed to have spent half the day out of the saddle!)

Puts my measly 70k to shame. Well done, great riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

just back from a family holiday in Italy
    got the pass to do a bit of cycling while I was there

it was my first time cycling outside of Ireland,
    Italy has some serious hills
    some of the roads were shocking which made some of the descending very hairy. On two occasions the road had disappeared down the side of the mountain

I hired a bike for 4 days cost me €50 so reasonable enough

day 1 68km around the hills of lucrezia where I was staying, some of the hills regularly hitting 20%

day 2 130km down to Pesaro along the adriatic coast I was told the giro takes this route regularly, it was just never ending hills upon hills average speed was only 19.5kph

day 3 legs were hanging so I cancelled a planned 120km and only did 76 to a town called urbino and back

day 4 cycled back to bike shop the long way a nice 59km to finish my Italian cycling off

I would normally struggle up sallys gap but that seems like a mere bump compared to what I cycled up last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Impressive distance, WA. That's some spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

110 kms today for SERC 3 peaks challenge horrible rainy windy weather, and really cold too .

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

zindicato wrote: »
    110 kms today for SERC 3 peaks challenge horrible rainy windy weather, and really cold too .

Did it too, my furthest spin this year. Agree on the weather, took me hours to thaw out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Headed down to Sundrive today. Cycling there, training and cycling home amounted to 55k and brought me up to 115 for the week so far. I've managed to get over 100k for the last three weeks in a row. Like someone said a few pages back, that's nothing for some of the guys on here, but I'm delighted with it :)

Who were you? I was there too, done the 8am session and decided to hang around for the 10am session seeing as the sun was out and my legs weren't tired enough yet :P I was the one in black/red Hackney CC kit, done 108km on the track yesterday, I calculate that at about 228 laps...

Rode over to watch the Stamullen GP this afternoon, just missed all the rain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Went out this morning. Was a nightmare so turned back after 10km. Too wet. To windy. Not worth it.

Got a second chance this morning and got another 30km in before it got dark. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

happyhappy wrote: »
    Did it too, my furthest spin this year. Agree on the weather, took me hours to thaw out!
    same with me was dissapointed that there was no coffee at the foodstop but aside from that enjoyed being back that route were wearing a boardsie kit? was the one in the new long sleeve kit

331k today - my longest cycle to date (3,183 metres climbing averaging 25.1 km/h. Had registered for the Ardattin 200k Audax so decided to cycle the 52k from Rush to the start line in Bray. I also cycled home from the finish taking a detour via Sutton/Portmarnock to stretch the ride a bit. Tough going into the energy sapping headwinds earlier in the day

Your cycles to (and from!) your cycles put me to shame. A voluntary detour after 320 kms or so? I'm lost for words - how do your legs keep going?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

quick spin this evening
    47Km 1h30m 31.4 avg flat to enfield and back

anyone do the Tour de Foothills ? seemed horrible weather this morning, any snow up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

devonp wrote: »
    quick spin this evening
    47Km 1h30m 31.4 avg flat to enfield and back

anyone do the Tour de Foothills ? seemed horrible weather this morning, any snow up there?

No snow. Just a wind chill factor of ZERO.

Painfull if you didn't have winter gloves etc :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

No snow. Just a wind chill factor of ZERO.

Painfull if you didn't have winter gloves etc :(

good stuff to all who did it

hoping to get down to Carlow next week for the Blackstairs challenge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement