Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Not sure about the microwave. They certainly didn't appear to have one on the counter. The girl was going back and forwards to a kitchen out the back so assumed it was all done fresh. Did you actually see them reheating the stuff in a microwave?

They were taking pre-cooked food from the refrigerated display and putting it into a glazed dish. The food was re-heated (Assume a microwave as the food was served within few minutes), hopefully using a commercial microwave like the ones they use in Subway and O'Briens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Mylow wrote: »
    They were taking pre-cooked food from the refrigerated display and putting it into a glazed dish. The food was re-heated (Assume a microwave as the food was served within few minutes), hopefully using a commercial microwave like the ones they use in Subway and O'Briens.

Oh right, wow! Hopefully they have changed their practices as I didn't see a display & it took probably 10/15 mins for the grub to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Not sure about the microwave. They certainly didn't appear to have one on the counter. The girl was going back and forwards to a kitchen out the back so assumed it was all done fresh. Did you actually see them reheating the stuff in a microwave?
    I did - meatballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Very quiet in here lately! :D
    Has anyone tried 'The Wild Olive' yet?
    Haven't been and wondering what it's like?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

furiousox wrote: »
    Very quiet in here lately! :D
    Has anyone tried 'The Wild Olive' yet?
    Haven't been and wondering what it's like?
    My daughter was there last night. Said it was nice but service was slow and she said it wasn't nice enough to go back.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Xeroid

Tried the Wild Olive last month, I think it was just open, very nice décor friendly staff.
    Luckily I kept the receipt so I'll give you a run down.
    Starter , Funghi Gorgonzola €7.50 delicious

Mains , Risotto Delizios , €15.90
    Gnocchi Allegria, €13.90
    Wine , Arborio Montepul €24

Total €68.80

We both enjoyed our meal , albeit we thought the food slightly salty but we don't use salt so maybe more sensitive to it. The wine is over priced but I suppose it's the only way to turn a bit of a profit. Will go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I see (what was) the forge in collon has changed hands and as recently opened as an Asian fusion restaurant. Anyone been yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went to Bru last night - was very disappointed. They've changed the menu & not mad on it. Had Cesar Salad to start, was just ok. Lots of lettuce, not a lot of croutons & completely drowned in dressing :( Tried the Chicken Enchiladas which were just ok. Wouldn't go for them again, the wraps were both very hard & soggy at the same time. Chips were dry like they had been sitting there for ages before being brought out.

Not sure if it was just me, himself had a fillet steak which he said was nice. Wouldn't be pushed on going back for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Getting kind of annoyed with the Eastern Seaboard of late. There's a new hostess/floor manager who doesn't seem possessed with the same people skills as her predecessor. Last couple of times we've gone in without a reservation on a Sunday evening, she doesn't even refer to the booking list, just shrugs and says we can sit at the bar if we want. This would be fine if the place was hopping but there's plenty of vacant tables dotted about and they're not filled for the duration of our meal :mad:. Last orders are at 8pm on a Sunday so they're definitely not reserved for a late sitting.

One thing you can do when you're sitting at the bar is watch how she interacts with the staff, she had a right go at one of them for leaving a credit card machine down the wrong end of the bar after he had processed payment for somebody sitting down that end. He put it down and gave the customers their receipts then as they left he cleared the bar area and before he had a chance to put it back she bolloxxed him out of it. Not something that should be done in front of patrons sitting in front of them trying to enjoy their meal. I felt awfully sorry for him that he was embarrassed like that in front of customers, and he hadn't stopped working from the time we came in to the time we left, he wasn't a young lad taking the piss who needed a telling off.

Last time I was in the Seaboard I noticed the prices had gone up and the portions had gotten smaller.
    I think they started to believe their own hype and rest on their laurels too much.
    D'Vine has been our restaurant of choice for some time now.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

furiousox wrote: »
    Last time I was in the Seaboard I noticed the prices had gone up and the portions had gotten smaller.
    I think they started to believe their own hype and rest on their laurels too much.
    D'Vine has been our restaurant of choice for some time now.

ESB is handy for me for parking, and I can barely finish a starter and a main, let alone a dessert! I haven't been in to D'Vine in ages, must start going again, but it's much smaller, so more difficult to get a table. We tend to go to dinner on a whim, rather than having it booked and planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Tried Earl's coffee shop on Mayoralty St for lunch today.

Small selection of sandwiches/baps/toasties on the menu - they also had a daily special sandwich (today's was sausage). Soup also available.

I had the pulled pork bap. The bap was lightly toasted, the pork tasted good, and it came with iceberg lettuce and red cabbage coleslaw. A fine sized portion too!

I was also given a small treat (bitesize rice crispy & chocolate traybake) which was a nice touch.

They've got books on shelves around the café, and they operate a "take a book, bring a book" system.

I liked the place, very relaxing, I'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

gipi wrote: »
    Tried Earl's coffee shop on Mayoralty St for lunch today. I liked the place, very relaxing, I'll be back!

My absolute favourite thing about this place is the question they asked me when I ordered a pot of tea....

"Barrys or Lyons?":eek:

Heaven!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Not much of a review but I ate Ajanta's special vegetarian curry last night and it was sooo frigging spicy, er.. let's just say I am still suffering from it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭janedoe007

New Italian restaurant in dundalk - has anyone tried it yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

janedoe007 wrote: »
    New Italian restaurant in dundalk - has anyone tried it yet ?

Yup, tried it on Monday. The food is really, really nice but the staff (I say staff, there was only one girl doing everything front of house) are beyond hopeless. Barely a word of english, we ordered a pot of tea after dessert and she didnt leave milk, when we asked she had a puzzled look on her face as if I just asked her for a foot rub. Both of us asked for coke to drink and she just handed us cans, its not a chippie love, at least give us a glass. Another strange thing was the chef came out of the kitchen with the food, no waitresses.
    The food was very tasty and the portions were great. The chef loves his balsamic vinegar though. Very reasonably priced too, 2 starters, mains and desserts, a pot of tea and 4 drinks for €44. I'd go again no problem if they fixed the staff problem.

gipi wrote: »
    Tried Earl's coffee shop on Mayoralty St for lunch today.

I liked the place, very relaxing, I'll be back!

Passed by Earls a couple of days ago - it's closed! There was a note on the door advising of the closure and of a reopening in 2015 under new management.

Just as I'd found the place! :*(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Simona Cafe on the quays, in my opinion is probably the best in the town. Bit difficult to get a table at busier times but if you're lucky enough to get in, its amazing. The staff are nothing more than top class. The nicest people you will ever meet, they treat every customer like royalty.

I haven't got many of the items on the menu as my go to selection is the Steak sambo. Its just amazing. I cant put it into words, just try it! Just so much steak cooked to perfection on a fresh ciabatta bread with chips.
    €11.

The Salthouse used to be my go to place for a steak sandwich in their previous location, ever since it has moved to the new location, they have changed the staff and the menu has become very limited and more expensive. The steak sambo is now nothing to write home about. Over priced and tasteless. Ive been twice since it reopened and im not a fan anymore. The original Salthouse had so much atmosphere, its lost a lot that charm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Does Simona's close at 5.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I think last sitting is at 5:30 yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Agree with ya on Simonas. I go quite a lot and its always top notch. Best chips in town! I'm a veggie but all the veggie dishes in there are amazing, and my co eating people always rave about their meat dishes, they usually go for the special. The sauces are mama mia. But the chips, f*ck me the chips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Talking of consistency, i would also like to mention the vegetable curry from the Golden Bowl take away. A taste sensation, with just a little kick to it, which i find fine with chinese food. I was worried I was becoming addicted to it over the xmas period!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

Sounds like Windmill Warrior is in love with Simona!

Went to The Kitchen on Saturday(Meant to go to Simona but it was full). Had a steak sandwich(even you would like this WW) and sage Potatoes. Delicious! Definitely going to go back there again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Myself and the wife booked this along with friends. We weren't expecting that much, it was really a night out and excursion for fun. Prior to the make over I would of avoided the D for food except a coffee. But wow were we blown away. The first starter, soup, was not meant to be a favourite of anyone. All you heard was ooh and ahhs and mmms all the way through. The terrine was really nice after that. The killer dish was the main though. When it said beef I would of been happy with a few slices and some gravy but what came out was a piece of fillet beef like a small football that a blunt head could of sliced through with ease. It was beyond superb. The trimmings were exquisite as well. We were so stuffed we had to delay desert by quite some margin while the Sinatra songs being played by Michael Bubbles dad carried on. Desert was also divine and wonderfully presented.

The entire staff were nothing short of amazing and could not do more to make sure your stay and experience was really good.

We were so well fed we could only wobble into Cairns and sip some water before heading to bed at 12:30! All in all a great night and I would seriously consider going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Yup, tried it on Monday. The food is really, really nice but the staff (I say staff, there was only one girl doing everything front of house) are beyond hopeless. Barely a word of english, we ordered a pot of tea after dessert and she didnt leave milk, when we asked she had a puzzled look on her face as if I just asked her for a foot rub. Both of us asked for coke to drink and she just handed us cans, its not a chippie love, at least give us a glass. Another strange thing was the chef came out of the kitchen with the food, no waitresses.
    The food was very tasty and the portions were great. The chef loves his balsamic vinegar though. Very reasonably priced too, 2 starters, mains and desserts, a pot of tea and 4 drinks for €44. I'd go again no problem if they fixed the staff problem.

Whats the name of this restaurant or where is it located ,please..

Visited the Roundabout Café for the first time today.

The café is on Beechgrove Terrace, at the roundabout (:P) near the Lourdes Church. It's quite small and parking outside is very limited (though you can park at the church for a fee). It's been open for a few weeks.

The menu offers standard fare - all day breakfasts (large, small and healthy), made to order sandwiches/rolls, soup, and pastries. Greenbean coffee is served.

I had the smaller of the all day breakfasts (sausage, bacon, hash brown, egg, tomato, green tea and toast). It was all delicious - nicely cooked (all to order, based on the time it took to deliver - this isn't a complaint!). Tea was served in a proper teapot, with plenty of water (and more was offered).

All for a very reasonable €6!

The sandwiches I saw delivered to other tables looked very good, and well presented.

I liked the place, and will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭lamoss

Has La dolce vita in Bryanstown closed up ?
    I went past it last saturday to pick up a Chinese from peony and noticed the lights all off and the outside lit-up menu board was blank but lit up and their was empty cardboard boxes in the entrance hall. I thought that they was doing a bit of a revamp or redecoration.

Went past this morning and it was exactly the same as last week. so I presume they have gone.

Shame they did some nice food , but were a tad expensive :(

Yeah, it's been closed for a few weeks now.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Aishas booked for Good Friday ;)

Also, Antica Toscana have theur €39 deal back for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts. Amazing value for the food you're getting :) Love the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Aishas booked for Good Friday ;)

Very clever :)

Advertisement