Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    Burkes on Peter Street always good for a fry and a big mug of tea

Wow totally forgot about that place , didn't realise it was still there. Was it called something else like the copper kettle maybe ? It's above the off license there right? God if I'm home this weekend I'll go for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

No...that is the copper kettle! Burkes is just up from it...on another note note, I was in cafe Simona today and it was delicious! Good value and plenty of food for your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

I believe it is best to avoid Bizou on Meatmarket lane, I've yet to hear or see a good review of that restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

muckyprawn wrote: »
    No...that is the copper kettle! Burkes is just up from it...on another note note, I was in cafe Simona today and it was delicious! Good value and plenty of food for your money!

Ahhhhhhhhhh yes I remember the places now, been ages since I was in either. IS the copper kettle still there too ???

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

nc6000 wrote: »
    I believe it is best to avoid Bizou on Meatmarket lane, I've yet to hear or see a good review of that restaurant.

Ever been in there yourself?

I've been there quite a few times and majority of the time it's pretty packed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

calex71 wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhhhh yes I remember the places now, been ages since I was in either. IS the copper kettle still there too ???

yup the copper kettle is still there was in it yesterday,,,, and was loads in it!!! forgot it existed myself....

Was in Aileens Cafe on Stockwell street food was good and really good value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There's no such thing as a good breakfast in Drogheda...get up that little bit later and go to Bia for some noodles!
    Certainly not in the Moorland Cafe.

The service there is appalling. We got a couple of burnt slices of toast as part of a brekkie.

Took them back and yer wan behind the counter had a face on her that would turn milk, not even a single apology.

They're in a pretty good spot for business, so I think they can afford to not really give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

i think criteria for getting a job in the moorland is having an attitude and general rudeness to customers....
    not once have i gone n there and had a smile or a thank you....

so i dont go there anymore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kk7

nc6000 wrote: »

That's a bit random considering their last mention on this thread is October 2009, 20 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

PinkFly wrote: »
    calex71 wrote: »

Was in Aileens Cafe on Stockwell street food was good and really good value for money!

I went in there and got the "full" breakfast. 1 sausage, 1 rasher, and an "egg". I just stared at it for a moment. Pittyfull. And the staff are kinda odd

Bizou on meatmarket is rubbish, crap food, too expensive, and worse staff.

Marys Market cafe up at the cinema is top notch. Savage food, very cheap. It's nearly always packed so it takes a while to get your order in. But it's worth the wait!

• Advertisement

Yeah....the Moorland has always been a kip....reminds me of prisoner cell block H...The best breakfast I have ever had is in Dunshauglin, a place called Fidelmas...not sure if it's still there though. I used to go a couple of times a week when I worked in that neck of the woods....Yes I do know that it's not in the area, just thought I'd mention that for all you pedantic pete's out there!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Yeah....the Moorland has always been a kip....reminds me of prisoner cell block H...The best breakfast I have ever had is in Dunshauglin, a place called Fidelmas...not sure if it's still there though. I used to go a couple of times a week when I worked in that neck of the woods....Yes I do know that it's not in the area, just thought I'd mention that for all you pedantic pete's out there!!:)
    ok i know its not drogheda but foleys in castlebellingham is top notch for breakfast, the moorland is so greasy, dont like bizou either - fussy i am:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Had a lovely meal in Bru Friday night. 2 courses+glass of wine for €22 which I thought was decent enough. Got a lovely Goats Cheese starter & tucked into a tasty beef burger for dinner. Yum :)

What's people's opinion on tango?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    What's people's opinion on tango?

Brother in Law told me it was really good, but haven't gotten around to it yet, plus it's a bit out of the way too, so I never remember it when we decided to go out for a bite!

Going to Sorrento's on Friday night. Cannot wait - I think it is my favourite restaurant in town! Food is consistently good! Minestrone Soup :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Just drove by tasty express and see it has a new name,
    Does anyone know if it's still the same guys? It was the nicest deliverable Chinese in the town. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Any one know if any who is passing on the difference due to VAT reduction, and who is not?

I went into the newly re opened gateway today. It's worse than it ever has been.

Went in a sat down, they do table service now. Had a read of the very limited menu. On the way in it has signs about dinner and hot lunchs. Asked what they had for dinner as it isn't anywhere on the menu, the waitress didn't know what the dinner menu was so went off to check, came back and said, "all we have is some sort pie..." eh, ok.
    So I ordered a chips and chicken thing which had juice included, was told they had no juice but I could have water. ....water....yeah.
    So with that I said feck this and went to barocco.

I doubt anywhere is passing on the VAT reduction...I've been to a few places since and haven't seen it being passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

CMpunked wrote: »
    Just drove by tasty express and see it has a new name,
    Does anyone know if it's still the same guys? It was the nicest deliverable Chinese in the town. :(

Some of their food was lovely but then at times there would be a burned taste from rice or the meat would be far too tough for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Right, this is a strange one - it's in Swords. Yes, this thread is about Drogheda restaurants, and Chilli Shaker is in Swords main street. Well, it's shame really, they should have opened it here in Drogheda. Luckily for us, Swords is just 20 mins down the road, and they have a fantastic multiplex in Pavilion as a bonus..!

It's an Indian restaurant, prices were normal (Chicken Korma 16 euro for instance) and the interior is nice, ambiance is pleasant, service is okay, starters were okay too - but the mains - yum..mmy! If you like mild curries like Korma, try out the first item in their seafood section of the menu - it was called something like 'malai chingri', prawns in coconut milk and cream etc. It was one of the best Indian dishes I had tasted - on par with the best Korma I've ever had. Well recommended if you are in that are for a movie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I doubt anywhere is passing on the VAT reduction...I've been to a few places since and haven't seen it being passed on.

Bizou have, but now their prices are a little closer to 'reasonable'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kk7

CMpunked wrote: »
    Bizou have, but now their prices are a little closer to 'reasonable'.

http://twitter.com/#!/BizouCafeBar

Very 'reasonable' I would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

Does anyone have any info on this??:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

kk7 wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/#!/BizouCafeBar

Very 'reasonable' I would have said.

Looks very reasonable to me as well.

I haven't been but I heard it's the same people from Stockwell Artisan place....not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 teatoast

My favourite restaurant anywhere is in Drogheda - Eastern Seaboard!

I really do love that place. If you ever go I recommend the Sesame seeded salmon with sweet potato wedges and sauteed spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

New Bru lunch menu looks decent, more in line with whats on offer in Jaffas/Bizou.

http://bru.ie/?p=709

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went to the D on Friday for lunch with my mam and my niece - what a shambles :mad: First of all, they didn't bring over a children's menu. Then we ordered and asked for an orange juice for my niece which the girl brought in a big tall glass with a load of ice in it! Who gives a 2 year old ice? The first thing she did was shove her hand in it to grab the ice!

Anyway, then we waited for about 25 mins before the manager came over and said that the system that gives the orders to the kitchen had gone down and no one had realised? How is beyond me? Surely if you have a kitchen not getting any orders, you'd ring up and find out what was happening? Anyway, she said it would be five mins, 30 mins later, it arrived! Honest to god! The only reason we stayed that long was because we'd already waited 25 mins and had believed her when she said it would be 5 mins longer. :mad: And the staff were running around like headless chickens - no direction at all! Can't say I'll be back as had previously thought service was very slow in there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nico1

Was in Drogheda today doing a bit of shopping, came across Bizou just off West Street, they had a Monday saver menu up on their window for €4.80. Tried it, choice of french toast, turkey or bolognese, had the bolognese and enjoyed the meal and the price. Deffinitely recommend if you're in town. Apparently this menu changes every day. Friendly staff, quick service and tasty food. :)

Advertisement