Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incident with car in an estate

Options
  • 17-04-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all i just want to get someone opinion on this matter i had today when cycling into my estate as i was going in the entrance there was a car behind me driving aggressively (up my arse and revin the gas) as i turn down around she beeping at me so i just continue processed then she hit the boot overtaking me while almost taking me out at a dangerous turn at this point i flip her off got to the end of the estate she was there she claimed that i swerve in front of her twice and told her straight to fu*k off put her in place.

I wont lie i was kind of shaken up over what happen and thinking of reporting the matter to the Grada so id would like to know if anyone can give me advice if i was unlikely in the wrong and the rules of the law in an estate thanks

paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

The rules of the road are the same in an estate as anywhere else - although common sense should also tell you that you should drive more slowly and cautiously as there are more likely to be young children or pets around, possibly behaving unpredictably in the way small children and animals tend to do. If she was driving very close to you, revving and beeping, it certainly sounds as though she was in the wrong.

It's not wise to get into a slanging match even if the adrenalin rush from experiencing someone's intimidating behavior makes it difficult to avoid. Unfortunately, if you report it to the Gardai, it may influence the degree to which they're willing to pursue it (and they probably won't be keen on doing that anyway. In my experience, they rarely are unless there are injuries).

There are other factors to consider too. The woman may be a neighbour or a regular visitor - do you really want to start a row with someone you may encounter regularly? It may be better in the long run to take a deep breath, and let it go.

More generally, faced with that kind of driving, I would generally pull in as soon as it's safe to do so. This is not because I think drivers have a greater right to the road or want to give positive affirmation to that sort of behaviour - it's the simple fact that it's better to have the idiot in front of you rather than behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paddyhalp

Thank you very much dreamerb for the info after taking my time over it iv'e decided to let it go as you said the grada won't do anything about it and it won't go anywhere and Il make sure to pull in next time there an idiot behind me that's for sure.

Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

While not advising you to let all of these kinds of incidents go, just be wary of getting in to disputes with neighbours. The likelihood of you meeting her on the road again is very high.

I slapped the side of a van with my hand after he dangersously buzzed me at 40km/h on a narrow road approaching my village. I'm not convinced he'll give a fly1ng sh1te about my safety next time I meet him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Evening, im a firm beliver in Karma & a numpty like you encountered will have to deal with it coming back to bite her on the A**e one day, with a bit of luck you will cycle past her & you can laugh till you pee yourself, if only a little bit.

As per the above posts, leaving it is possibly the best road to go, if you hear through the local grapevine that the numpty in question has commented to others in the area about the issue perhaps use the grapevine to "send a message back" along the lines that the gardai are looking into it even though they aren't!

Advertisement