Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl cycling shoes - any use?

• 14-04-2014 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've had a racer for a year now but haven't tried proper cycling shoes, I just have toe clips. Are the Lidl cycling shoes they will have on sale this Thursday any good and how do you know which ones to get for your pedals? Clueless, sorry !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

They are fine for training and commuting, well even racing is fine. Just note that they are not road shoes but more like MTB shoes and can accept only SPD cleats (2 bolts instead of 3 for SPD-SL). For 25eur they are very hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I can't say anything about how good or bad the Lidl shoes are, but they are generally two types of shoes; ones for mountain biking and ones for road biking. The Lidl offering looks to be of the mountain biking variety.
    For both types, there is a clip fitted onto the sole of the shoe. This then attaches to the pedal. On road shoes, this clip protrudes and makes walking any distance impractical. One mountain shoes, the clip is recessed and walking is easier.

If you're using toeclips now, you'll have to replace your pedals to work with the new clip-in shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Animella wrote: »
    I've had a racer for a year now but haven't tried proper cycling shoes, I just have toe clips. Are the Lidl cycling shoes they will have on sale this Thursday any good and how do you know which ones to get for your pedals? Clueless, sorry !
    for a cycling newbie( like me) I would recommend your LBS, I know your probably looking at a bigger spend but the advice from them in regards the type of shoe & pedals to use can make all the difference, by the way be prepared to keel over like a drunk when you slow down or stop, you know you have to click your foot out but the brain & foot dont engage sometimes, if your tired or if you have to stop suddenly. I gave some people coming out of a funeral in Kilcock last june bank holiday something to talk about as they drove out of the church!.
    it took every ounce of me not to swear like a drunken sailor, while lying on the grond like a turtle on its back, i can laugh about it now but back then..... aghh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I have a pair. They are my 1st ever pair of cycling shoes with cleats and I got them as they were only €20, which is not much to try something out. I use them with Shimano M324 SPD pedals for my 45kms daily commute on my road bike. I like them and I can walk in the shoes too, normally. Because it is a commuter bike, I can also use the pedals when wearing normal shoes/ runners.

Luckily, I haven't fallen yet, but probably have just put the mockers on myself :).

My pedal and shoe set up cost about €60 and I was able to fit them myself, (I bought pedals online).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

Hmmzis wrote: »
    accept only SPD cleats (2 bolts instead of 3 for SPD-SL)

You just saved me €25. Many thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

OK, so I'd have to get new pedals too. Was afraid of that. I suppose LBS guy wouldn't be too happy if I came in with Lidl shoes in hand looking for the pedals to fit? Or do you just ask for SPD pedals? Thanks. How much of a difference do they make to speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

I am using these shoes for my 20k one way commute.. The yellow ones have a bit more flex in the uppers. The white ones are a more solid upper shoe, so if the shoe is overly tight, they are more difficult to break in. I have them a while now, and I find them good enough for the commute. The also sell overshoes every now and again, and they fit perfectly.

I am using these pedals.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

The cleats that come with them are uni directional release, so I got a set of the multi directional release ones. I am happier with them as I know I can unclip quickly. as you never know what those pesky pedestrians will do on you when cycling in town ......

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-mtb-cleats/
    Make sure you select the SH56 ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Just ask for SPD pedals, I am a 100% certain your LBS would not care even if you came with clown shoes.

You will not dramatically increase speed, your efficiency will improve as you will work both the up and down stroke, the big plus is hills. Your leg muscles will be aching for a few sessions in new places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

for me its about comfort over speed, when cycling 25-30 kms you will notice the difference. if your LBS has an issue with you coming in with the shoes, id be surprised, your a customer looking for advice which if done well, may lead to repeat visits & sales by you to them.
    if you get attutude, you have the option of taking your business to another!

Sorry, forgot to mention the speed thing in my last post (pending approval because of links I posted to Wiggle for pedals and clips). The biggest difference you will notice straight away is how much easier it makes it going up hill, more so than outright speed. The speed will come with technique after time. It took me sometime to practice pedaling pulling up as well as pushing down (you can only push when not using clips) which makes a huge difference to speed, and energy.

Go your LBS and buy a pedal spanner. The longer the better, and learn how to replace pedals ..... they don't work like normal bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Can I cycle in these lidl shoes without clips just flat on pedals as usual like with my my trainers shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

The M520 pedals mentioned above come with a pair of MTB cleats that fit the LIDL shoes. They work perfectly fine but in my experience the SH56 multi-release cleats are far easier to clip in and out. I used the lidl shoes for commuting for 6 months. My only criticism of the shoes is that the MTB 'grips' are made of plastic and have no grip at all on slippy surfaces. Nearly splatted myself several times coming in and out of my shed. I eventually replaced them with Shimano XC50s but in fairness these cost 4x more. For €25 the lidl shoes are a bargain.

Can I cycle in these lidl shoes without clips just flat on pedals as usual like with my my trainers shoes?

My brother in law does this with his commuter bike (Felt QE 90Ex with standard pedals). I was chatting to him the other day and he said he has noticed a difference in the amount of energy he is using, but he has noticed his foot can slip on a wet day because of the hard plastic grips on the sole of the shoe. I put a set of toe clip (strap) pedals on for him, and he is saying that it makes a better difference, but he is unhappy that when he stops, the weight of the strap assembly rotates the pedal so the strap is on the underside when he is moving off. He is reluctant to go clipless because when learning to use clipless you WILL fall off.

If you are thinking of changing to clipless, practice before you go out on a cycle. Lean against a wall, and unclip 100 times one one side, 100 times on the other, and repeat until your comfortable. Also, rotate the small allen bolt on the spring clip as far as you can in the minus direction. Tighten up as you use the pedals over a period of time when unclipping. It makes the shoe less likely to unclip accidentally as you tighten up, but only do this after a period of time, and increase the tightness incrementally.

EDIT II: Learn to fall to the left!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

I had a pair for about 3 years, raced cx and did mountain biking on them. They were perfectly fine. I replaced them because the sole on one fell off (i put them through hell, mud, water, never washed, thrown in a corner kind of hell). I certainly got my 25 quids worth. Bought a pair of muddy fox ones to replace them, only because the lidl ones werent on offer and i needed something quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

If you are not going to clip in stick with trainers/runners, the stiffer sole of cycling shoes will not give that much of an advantage without clips and as someone said soles aren't really made for gripping so tend to slip.

Thanks a million all. I'll give them a go so. .. and will practice plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fazer1

TK Max in Limerick and i assume other branches have cycling shoes in stock at the moment Polaris is the make I think, don't know anything about them but the quality looks ok. From memory i think they were priced around €19.00.

Thanks, might be in Galway before Thursday and will have a look.

Anyone used Shimano M324 pedals- they have a flat side and a clip in side so you don't have to change pedals. They sound ideal, is there a catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Anyone used Shimano M324 pedals- they have a flat side and a clip in side so you don't have to change pedals. They sound ideal, is there a catch?

I have them on my commuter, work a treat, wear clip on shoes when cycling to work and if taking a spin to the shops just hop on with whatever I am wearing. can use both sides with ordinary shoes and easy enough to clip in.

Have a set in the garage to put on my 12 year old son's road bike, was waiting for lidl/Aldi to have the shoes back in to get him a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

People always say the catch is that if you need to service the bearings, the tool to open them costs more than the pedal. I plan on asking my LBS if they have the tool when the time comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

You could also look at the MuddyFox range of cycling shoes; http://goo.gl/lc0YS2

I bought the old version of the RBS200 in a sale 22e which was my first pair of cycling shoes, it stood me in good stead for almost a year so I then upgraded them a few months ago for the RBS Pure; 57e for a pair of shoes with carbon sole. Price can't be beaten and I'm very happy with the fit and the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

People always say the catch is that if you need to service the bearings, the tool to open them costs more than the pedal. I plan on asking my LBS if they have the tool when the time comes!

What special tools do you need to service the pedal bearings? :confused: The bearings in my m324's became loose so I adjusted it myself. All you need is allen keys to take off the surrounding metal guard, then pop off the plastic cover at the end of the axle and use I think a 12mm socket to take off the axle nut. The bearings are then there and can be taken out etc.
    You could also look at the MuddyFox range of cycling shoes; http://goo.gl/lc0YS2

I bought the old version of the RBS200 in a sale 22e which was my first pair of cycling shoes, it stood me in good stead for almost a year so I then upgraded them a few months ago for the RBS Pure; 57e for a pair of shoes with carbon sole. Price can't be beaten and I'm very happy with the fit and the look of it.

Wow, that's really good value. I want to get a pair of MTB shoes with recessed cleats so I can walk around in them etc. and they kinda look like runners. Did they wear well for you before you upgraded? Were you using them every day for commuting etc? I've a good few muddyfox shorts and jerseys and i think the quality is excellent (even though some other people haven't had good results).

Well I got them :-) I bought the last pair in my size at 8.10 am. All that was left then was over twenty pairs of tiny size 4s and a couple of size 5 and 6.

Just have to get those pedals now. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

All gone except for a pair of yellow in size 4,

Looking for a white/silver pair of size 8 if anyone wanted to help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've had those pedals for 3 years now. I've had no problem whatsoever with them. I would highly recommend them as an entry level pedal. A mate of mine has the same pedals for the last 2 years and he's had no issues either.

FYI they are €31.99 on Chain Reaction Cycles at the moment.

Thanks dastardly00, I ordered them on wiggle earlier. €31.44- of course had to order some gels then to make up to €50 and get free delivery!

Looking forward to trying them out :-) Lazy teenage son who also uses my bike missed out on his own shoes by not getting up 15 mins earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

Thanks for the heads up on these, good value as a starter shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Got a pair of these in LIDL warehouse today for €20, more so on impulse because of the bargain

Very new to cycling, building up to 20k return commute to work, do it once a week

Attaching out of the box pedals that came with my road bike. Thought I would check with the more knowledgable folks here, what options do I have with shoes and pedals?

There's one big incline on the commute and I read that correct shoes can make a difference!

Anyone still looking, there's a few black pairs in 9 (seemed to be all 9's) and I got the last white ones. Loads of yellow ones left in Fonthill warehouse

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thanks dastardly00, I ordered them on wiggle earlier. €31.44- of course had to order some gels then to make up to €50 and get free delivery!

Looking forward to trying them out :-) Lazy teenage son who also uses my bike missed out on his own shoes by not getting up 15 mins earlier.

Just another note on these Animella. They have a small allen key nut on the side so that you can loosen the tension so you can clip out much easier. It will give you a lot more confidence knowing that you can clip out in a hurry if needs be. I tend to be clipped in for most of my journey into town and then at the last section where the traffic is bedlam I clip out as I am constantly stopping at traffic lights and cars are stopping and changing lanes etc. I just find it easier

Advertisement