Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flat bar -> road bar. Shifters question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No, they won't. You have a 9 speed triple setup (ie. 9 rear sprockets and 3 chainrings). The listed shifters are 10 speed double (ie. 10 rear sprockets and only 2 chainrings).
    This will work but you'll need to change your 9 speed cassette and chain for 10 speed ones at the same time.

If that's a bit over budget it might be worth looking out for a second-hand 9/10 speed triple set.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yep, they'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I did my homework and I'd rather go shimano 105 (upgrade from tiagra) than downgrade to sora. So, can I get those [1], [2], [3], [4] and keep my current triple chainset? (105 series triple chainset > 125 euro) Looks like the chainring that I have on the bike is ready 10 speed chain: "powerglide 50/39/301 10spd al7075-T6"
    Is medium cage is ok for triple chainset?

[1] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-105-5701-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod85966
    [2] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-105-5703-triple-10-speed-sti-lever/rp-prod50465
    [3] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-105-5700-10-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod50454
    [4] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-105-5701-10-speed-chain/rp-prod50457

• Advertisement

I don't think you need to change your rear mech. The 9-sp tiagra one should manage a 10-sp setup just fine. When the tiagra one wears out you can replace with a 105 mech at that point. Medium cage is fine for a triple.

The rest should be fine...

cdaly_, thank you very much for help!!

Good luck with it.
    Don't forget to put up pics of the result...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Given that shifters are expensive, it might be cheaper selling the flat-bar and buying a used road bike. The geometry of the flat-bar might be slightly more upright that the road bike, making it less suitable to drop handle bars and shifters. It cost me €150 to change my 9x3 Tiagra flat bar to a 10x2 speed Tiagra road bike.

kuro_man wrote: »
    Given that shifters are expensive, it might be cheaper selling the flat-bar and buying a used road bike. The geometry of the flat-bar might be slightly more upright that the road bike, making it less suitable to drop handle bars and shifters. It cost me €150 to change my 9x3 Tiagra flat bar to a 10x2 speed Tiagra road bike.

Thanks for the advice! The bike is almost brand new, so I'd rather invest a little bit instead replacing it with a used one. I wasn't expecting that my "go out once a month" bike will be "go out as often as you can" bike and that's why I ended with a flat bar. I'm also considering stem replacement if I have to.

• Advertisement

What bike is it? My Giant FCR hybrid has morphed into my do-everything road bike but it was pretty much a road bike with flat bars already.

It's ridley tempo
    99% that's exactly this model except tyres and I have no mud guards:
    http://www.bikeseven.co.uk/ridley-tempo-white-905-p.asp

That looks pretty good. If it has brake calipers rather than V-brakes and skinny tyres it's pretty much road bike geometry already so it should translate well.

Any final advice before I start pulling the bolts? I hope to have all required parts today/tomorrow :D

Yep. Take your time, make sure everything is correctly set up and don't wrap the bar tape until you've tried out the bike once or twice in case you want to move the shifters.

Good luck...

Lessons learnt: there is no need to buy cables separately as they are included in the shifters pack. I might have a set of brand new never opened shimano road cables for sale soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi

Are you interested in selling your flat bar trigger shifters - if yes how much are we talking about?

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Hi

Are you interested in selling your flat bar trigger shifters - if yes how much are we talking about?

Yes, I'll post the details of gear for sale as soon as I have the new shifters fitted.

Lesson learnt # 2: I have KMC CL566 master link on the chain and so the chain can be easily removed without tools just by pushing the link.

304399.jpg

I just find out that the top gear of rear mech has a serious [around 2 mm?] axial play. There is no radial play. Bottom gear doesn't show any play at all.
    Is it normal?

• Advertisement

Yep. Something to do with easier shifting or some such.

I finished the conversion and the bike looks really good!! :D Photos & some more "lessons learnt" soon.

cdaly_ - I owe you a pint for the help - black gold or isotonic drink - whatever you prefer ;)

sbs2010 - I'll open a thread in Cycling Adverts with photos later on - there will be a bit more for sale than just shifters.

First of all I have to say I'm absolutely delighted with the combination of 105 shifter + 105 10 gear cassette + 105 chain (rear mech is still from tiagra 9 speed). It's like a top class Swiss watch. All changes are perfect, all the same, always. Or maybe I just haven't seen anything better yet :)

Before conversion: 10.54 kg, after 10.68 kg, so the bike gained 140 g

304905.jpg

The sweets from a bike shop
    0.JPG

Before the operation
    1.JPG

Workshop ready (home made stand seems to be a better way for a once off operation)
    1a.JPG

Old bar down
    2.JPG

New bar & shifters
    3.JPG

Shifters on the bar
    4.JPG

Trying to find the best run for cables
    5.JPG

If you use dremel to cut the cables go for the high rev fast cut. Low rev cut doesn't cut ;)
    The outer and inner lining just melts down.
    6.JPG

New cassette on the wheel
    7.JPG

All cables in their final locations
    8.JPG

Lizard skin ready for wrapping..
    9.JPG

...and on the bar
    10.JPG

The bike after operation
    11.JPG

The bar is ready for the road test :D
    12.JPG

Nice work there. I particularly like your workstand. Just the thing for a job like this.

Enjoy the ride...

Advertisement