Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cohanlon

hey all...I am very interested in meeting for this however Tuesdays do not work for me so I'll be missing the initial get together :(

just a helpful hint...I was in a bookclub before for a short while where they chose 2-3 "moderators" at the first meeting who where basically responsible for organising one night. ie. everyone in the entire group read the same book, but then they had two or three nights to choose from to come discuss the book incase they couldn't make it to one night (its usually a good idea to have one or two weekday nights and one weekend night!). might help to consider this :)

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks Cohanlon. That sounds like a good idea especially if there is quite a lot of interest from potential members i.e. more members could be accommodated at 2 or 3 different meetings rather than over-crowding 1 gathering alone. Anyway, I'll suggest it at the initial meeting and depending on numbers, maybe we could get volunteers to become moderators.

I know that there are people interested in the BookClub who cannot attend the 1st meeting. Therefore, can these people please let me know for sure that they are interested in joining so that if needs be, a 2nd or even 3rd night can be arranged allowing more flexibility. That way I would have a good idea of numbers. Your help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'll be there on Tuesday, I'll be the one looking distinctly unintellectual:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

Bump for the evening shift:D

Hopefully it will be a good turn out tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cohanlon

Hey TristanPeter...I am definitely interested but won't be able to make it tomorrow due to prior commitments on Tuesday evenings. Please keep me posted!! Thanks :D

• Advertisement

I will indeed Cohanlon. What does "bump" mean? Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

if nobody posts on a thread it gradually moves down the list of threads. To bump is to post on a thread with the specific intention of moving it to the top of the list.

Hi everyone,

Remember...the 1st meeting of BookClub is this evening at 7:30 in Bar No. 8:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bother! I knew there was somewhere I was supposed to be tonight ... just couldn't remember where it was! Sorry :(

So what was the verdict? Who showed up? What was decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Ah crap, knew I was forgetting something! :( What happened?

• Advertisement

Good turn out, 11 of us, more than boards beers!

Tristan had done some prep work and organising which got things going well.

Seeing as it's his baby I'll let him fill you in on the details officially

Hello Everybody,

I would like to say thank you to everyone who showed up yesterday evening at the 1st meeting of BookClub. As MattKid just said, 11 people attended so I suppose it was quite successful. These were as follows:

DazBag
    Karl W
    Hazel F
    Secburd
    Mattkid
    Padraig B
    Damien G
    Tristanc
    Caitriona
    Anne Marie
    and Myself.

Venue: The group decided that Bar No. 8 was an ideal venue for club purposes and we will continue to hold our meetings here. The bar management said this was fine and the barman even dropped a complimentary cheese selection to our table :)

Time Allocation per book: It was agreed that we will hold our meetings on a forthnightly basis on a Tuesday evening at the same time (7:30pm). Of course, some interested parties couldn't attend on a Tuesday evening so I would be great if we could get a volunteer to moderate on an alternative week night, if there are enough other people interested. Any volunteers??? Can anyone interested in attending on another evening please post something up here so that we can have an idea of numbers. Also, by having a 2nd evening available, members could switch if for some reason they can't attend on their usual night, as the same books would be discussed.

Book Nominations: For the purposes of getting the ball rolling, I handed out a Top 20 list of books I downloaded off the internet

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,1721526,00.html

The group went through the list and we dismissed any book already read so that we could narrow the field. 2 or 3 books had already been read by some members but they didn't mind re-reading them for the sake of the group as they believed that they were definitely worth the read. In the end, 3 books stood out from the list when the vote was finalised and it was agreed that we would read all 3 successively. These were:

1st book to be read by the next meeting (19th Feb) - The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

2nd book to be read by 4th March - the Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

3rd book to be read by 18th March - the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon.

It was suggested by Mattkid that in the future each member, by rota, should be allowed to nominate a book of their own choice to the group as a whole. The rest of the members seemed to think this was a good and fair idea so I suppose after the above-mentioned books are finished, this is how the club will proceed. Karl W suggested also that if a book is nominated that is very long, it could be divided into sections so that the whole thing wouldn't necessarily have to be finished within the 2 weeks. And please, no Bible nominations:)

I think I have covered most topics in relation to our 1st meeting but please fill us in if I haven't. All suggestions from anyone are more than welcome and finally, I would just like to say that I for one had a very nice evening yesterday. I met new people in a nice, peaceful environment where we discussed literature amongst other things. Not a bad evening at all :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Hi,
    There's a good list of suggested books to mill over on the barry's tea website, and they send out some kind of book club pack if you register. Here's the link for books;
    http://www.barrystea.ie/site/bookclub/images/List_summaries.pdf

Richard and Judy have a list of "book club" books that have notes for bookclub members, which I presume would stimulate conversation;
    http://www.richardandjudybookclub.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GreenRoomView?langId=100&storeId=10101&catalogId=15201&greenRoomPage=GreenRoomDownloadDiscussionNotes

and there are also some novel suggestions on Oprah's website
    http://www.oprah.com/obc/pastbooks/obc_pastdate.jhtml

This might give members the chance to browse suitable books for discussion. Good luck!

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably be in the meeting on the 4th March with The Time Traveller's Wife read, see you all then! :)

Oh just to tell you, the next meeting falls directly on Rag week, just giving ye a warning if find that the bar is packed with loud drunk students :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably be in the meeting on the 4th March with The Time Traveller's Wife read, see you all then!

+1

I can't manage a book in a fortnight, but a month should be ok.

Who knows the cheapest place to buy a copy of this month's book?

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    Oh just to tell you, the next meeting falls directly on Rag week, just giving ye a warning if find that the bar is packed with loud drunk students :D

Oh joy, another event to watch out for. My workmates have just finished warning me about the novena. Now what's this "rag week" thing about? (I'm not from around here, and seriously haven't heard of this one ...)

Rag week is a week devoted to drink, where all college students go mental on the drink and skip all lectures. I'm not looking forward to it, because this year's Rag week is in conjuntion with GMIT, which means there will be 70 odd thousand people in town on the lash.

EDIT: Actually Rag week was meant to be a week for raising money for Charity, Rag week stands for Raise A Grand week. But somehow it got turned into a píssfest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Def good meeting, many thanks for organizing the book club. Looking forward to discussion in 2 weeks.

JustMary wrote: »
    +1

I can't manage a book in a fortnight, but a month should be ok.

Who knows the cheapest place to buy a copy of this month's book?

Oh joy, another event to watch out for. My workmates have just finished warning me about the novena. Now what's this "rag week" thing about? (I'm not from around here, and seriously haven't heard of this one ...)

Hi,

I'd say the best place to get a cheap/2nd hand copy of the books is in Charlie Byrne's 2nd hand book shop in the Corn Store, City Centre. It's on the same street as the Augustinian Church and just a few doors away from River Deep Mountain High and Ti na nOg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

ive never been much of a book person, but the family bought me 3books over the xmas:
    ross kemps gangs(quite informative, u would read it easily enough)
    FBI's most wanted (if u want to make sure ur not nuts, give it a read)
    "i predict a riot" (reading it at the mo, i think its brilliant,good easy light hearted read)
    before xmas, gawd knows when i last picked up an aul bookeen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Arrgh, just saw this thread now. Would like to try this (I say try as god knows if I'll be able to keep up with all those books!), will be at the next one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

-Originally Posted by The_Dazzler - Paraphrased by me
    Just annoys me so much people n Galway are so ignorant of 'Book Clubs'.

The Dazzler is annoyed at a lot of things :)

Hi Everyone,

How's Life of Pi coming along? Seeing as there is one week to go until our next meeting, you should all be exactly or at least half way through it:)

Hi Everyone,

How's Life of Pi coming along? Seeing as there is one week to go until our next meeting, you should all be exactly or at least half way through it:)

Finished it tonight. Will likely remember next to nothing about it by Tuesday ;)

Teacher's pet!

I've got quite a bit of reading to do this weekend, but at least I have 8 side of A4 notes so far;)

MattKid wrote: »
    Teacher's pet!

I've got quite a bit of reading to do this weekend, but at least I have 8 side of A4 notes so far;)

'Tis the benefit of being a night porter, you basically get paid to read books and surf the net.

On the downside, it seriously cuts into precious drinking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

where is tonights meeting?

It's in Bar No. 8 on Dock Road at 7:30pm. I don't know if Rag Week celebrations will have an effect on the plcae but hopefully not, or hopefully at least not that early.

Hope to see lots of people there :)

Bar No. 8 is the new, glass-fronted pub just a few doors down from Sheridan's towards the huge oil tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

It's in Bar No. 8 on Dock Road at 7:30pm. I don't know if Rag Week celebrations will have an effect on the plcae but hopefully not, or hopefully at least not that early.

Hope to see lots of people there :)

wouldnt bank on that! i was in town at 5.30pm last night and the place was packed!!!

Advertisement