Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing?

Options
  • 17-06-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

So who's still knocking about?

Back in my day it was the likes of Stephen Howell, David White, Frances Clynes, David White, Ciaran Taylor, and that's just mentioning a few.

Actually very curious into who is still teaching. Havn't been back to IT Tallaght in a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    So who's still knocking about?

Back in my day it was the likes of Stephen Howell, David White, Frances Clynes, David White, Ciaran Taylor, and that's just mentioning a few.

Actually very curious into who is still teaching. Havn't been back to IT Tallaght in a long time.

Hey how's things.

Yeah, the people you mentioned are still teaching, apart from Howell who actually just retired this year. He is now working for Microsoft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

theGavin wrote: »
    Hey how's things.

Yeah, the people you mentioned are still teaching, apart from Howell who actually just retired this year. He is now working for Microsoft :)

I miss the buzz around Tallaght. The course was a good course, but sometimes it was quiet competitive, especially with all of the SDev. I thought that Howell was a great lecturer and he had a very powerful way of teaching, but he hated you if you ever missed a class. I never like Francis Clynes. We all complained about her back in first year. Did much change over the past few years? I heard that the college expanded, or is thinking of linking up with D.I.T

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I miss the buzz around Tallaght. The course was a good course, but sometimes it was quiet competitive, especially with all of the SDev. I thought that Howell was a great lecturer and he had a very powerful way of teaching, but he hated you if you ever missed a class. I never like Francis Clynes. We all complained about her back in first year. Did much change over the past few years? I heard that the college expanded, or is thinking of linking up with D.I.T

Yeah I just finished the 4 year course a couple of months ago and I know I'm gonna miss going back to it in September. What year did you finish in?

Howell was a great lecturer, and he had his funny moments. Francis? I have no idea what she is doing there, she really hampered second year for many students, she just taught the basics pretty much again.

Yeah the college is linking up with the other colleges in the next few years as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭crazy eyes

I'm just done first year and I had Ciaran for Stats and discrete maths and I thought he was a great teacher. I had Frances and she's wasn't the best. Always looking to jump down somebodys neck.

Stephen was in for a seminar and he seemed like a nice guy. I heard from a few second years that he was a really good lecturer.

crazy eyes wrote: »
    I'm just done first year and I had Ciaran for Stats and discrete maths and I thought he was a great teacher. I had Frances and she's wasn't the best. Always looking to jump down somebodys neck.

Stephen was in for a seminar and he seemed like a nice guy. I heard from a few second years that he was a really good lecturer.

Ciaran is fantastic. He's always willing to help students, even if it's after college.

Looking forward to second year? Things get pretty fun, you get to work on a year long project with two other people, very interesting stuff :)

• Advertisement

theGavin wrote: »
    Ciaran is fantastic. He's always willing to help students, even if it's after college.

Looking forward to second year? Things get pretty fun, you get to work on a year long project with two other people, very interesting stuff :)

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed the second semester last year

Wat kind of project did you do in second year? Are you given any time during the week to do it apart from out of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wat kind of project did you do in second year? Are you given any time during the week to do it apart from out of hours?

I know I done a website, obviously based on the League of Ireland...

You're given no time iirc, you'll have gaps between lecturers as you know but I remember trying to find a lab to work in was near impossible and normally had to stay back after college to do it, not ideal when you work (flagged this with Barry Feeney in the feedback form before I left).

I know I done a website, obviously based on the League of Ireland...

You're given no time iirc, you'll have gaps between lecturers as you know but I remember trying to find a lab to work in was near impossible and normally had to stay back after college to do it, not ideal when you work (flagged this with Barry Feeney in the feedback form before I left).

Oh I know well. They really should have a stand alone room for computing students on the second floor. I thought that we wouldn't be given time. I was speaking to one of the second years in march/April and he was showing me his project. It looked quite interesting.

Are you given free reign on what you choose?

How have you found it since your finished?

Have you got a job yet?

Oh I know well. They really should have a stand alone room for computing students on the second floor. I thought that we wouldn't be given time. I was speaking to one of the second years in march/April and he was showing me his project. It looked quite interesting.

Are you given free reign on what you choose?

How have you found it since your finished?

Have you got a job yet?

That was exactly what I brought up I think, nothing worst than having a 3 hour lunch, time to kill but no lab to do work.

It was free reign enough, has to reach certain levels iirc.

I worked in retail from basically 1st year of college right through, I managed to fail SDEV5 (in the repeats too) so had to repeat the first half of 3rd year for one subject. When it came down for job searching in IT I'd say it took me 2 months and 3 interviews to get a job.

Now I had 4 years retail behind me overall, along with a good few IT nixars and a nicely full CV for someone at 22 so I had the bass work done. I was in a position where I had the option to go and do 4th year and keep my crappy retail job or to actively pursue an IT job, I went down the latter route as I couldn't hack another year of trying to balance work, college, commuting, projects, social life, etc...

I fully intend on going back to do the Honours part time next September (had planned to this year but I wasn't mentally prepared) as it keeps playing on my mind that I didn't finish the job in college :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

Does anyone know when they're sending the letters out for this course? Been waiting since last week

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when they're sending the letters out for this course? Been waiting since last week

If past experience is anything to go by, you'll be waiting till the last minute. Give them a call is the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Past pupils, whats it like out there in the working game? im just finished after 3 years and ive no idea what jobs im qualified for :/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

There are jobs out there. I just finished 4th year (IT Management) and a lot of people in both streams were offered jobs.

There were lads from Computing going to Guidewire, Openet, and IBM as developers AFAIK.

have you applied for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

rog871 wrote: »
    There are jobs out there. I just finished 4th year (IT Management) and a lot of people in both streams were offered jobs.

There were lads from Computing going to Guidewire, Openet, and IBM as developers AFAIK.

have you applied for anything?

not yet, had to repeat 1 subject and im pretty confident i passed so ordinary degree in the bag at least, thing is i didnt do great in programming but i passed so i dont if im good enough to work as a programmer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

A few people who were in my class finished in third year and I know that two of them got jobs in type support roles. There seems to be tons of jobs in support and there are loads of different kinds of support jobs. Not too sure what the other guys got. If programming is not your thing that might be something to start with. If you would like to be a programmer, I would say work on a project at home and practice. A few of the lads on this forum will probably have better advice on the programming jobs :P.

I would say have a look online to see what jobs are listed and which ones would suit you. Write a CV and a cover letter to match the job description. I think it is important to show that you genuinely want to learn and are willing to put the work in as many jobs will have a lot of training before you start.

Also, would you consider doing fourth year? The final project will really help and there is some exposure to potential employers with the project open night and general emails about job opportunities from lecturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

Has anyone received their registration letters? Im still waiting for mine.

Advertisement