Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Endurance Racing News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

not long to go now till the 24H of Le mans, scrutineering today and track action starts on Wednesday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Grim. wrote: »
    not long to go now till the 24H of Le mans, scrutineering today and track action starts on Wednesday :D

Hi, im new to this whole 24hr of le mans, jass :o. Is that on T.V.? If it is what channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hi, im new to this whole 24hr of le mans, jass :o. Is that on T.V.? If it is what channel?

Eurosport will show the whole race, coverage is split between both channels. Im actually not even going to get to see race this year, going to Silverstone for the MotoGP instead.

Is anyone heading over to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Heading over tomorrow, but will spend most time in the media centre, Id say no Irish printed media have the slightest knowledge or interest that there are 2 Irish funded teams (entered under the Tricolour) and 1 Irish driver there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

On the ferry over tomorrow and driving down, can't bloody wait, 3rd year in a row so its a bug that has thoroughly implanted itself.
    Car is dressed in a Gulf livery with number 80 on the side(80th running of LeMans) and will fly the Irish flag.

As said not a mention of the Irish teams in any media, still its only National Geographic's number 1 sporting event in the world, whatever....

Also for anyone going who may not have got the email sent from the ACO, do not expose you're tickets to light for any extended periods, and do not use the window display for camping tickets, apparently the tickets were printed on faulty paper which will turn black and become unscannable(to permit entry) if this happens, there will be areas to print off the tickets again at various venues around the circuit.

• Advertisement

The Flywheel on the Audi sounds pretty feckin cool

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Any uk tv coverage this year? Or it just Eurosport or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Has McNish had a massive accident yet?

No Fisichella seems to have taken that job.

Amazing work by AF Corse to build a car from scratch in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

kierank01 wrote: »
    Amazing work by AF Corse to build a car from scratch in a couple of hours.
    +1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Has McNish had a massive accident yet?

No but he had a little accident on Sunday morning and threw certain victory as far away as he could

• Advertisement

fecking awesome onboard

it also reminds me why i love corvettes that engine is a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Grim. wrote: »
    fecking awesome onboard

CORVETTE VIDEO

it also reminds me why i love corvettes that engine is a monster

That is class,
    Looking at the LCD rear view he has, its any wonder they can tell whats behind them, just constant blinding bright lights:D

Killinator wrote: »
    That is class,
    Looking at the LCD rear view he has, its any wonder they can tell whats behind them, just constant blinding bright lights:D

Its a bone of contention among most drivers, little point in flashing until you are within a few car lengths/passing distance, not miles away

http://www.blancpain-endurance-series.com/ - 3 hour GT3 race from Paul Ricard, race coverage starts around 13.00 Irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

ELMS has cancelled it's last two races and optioned for a trip across the water to join up with ALMS. It's looking dodgy for the whole LMS set up. I'm checking the ALMS website and I saw that they completely screwed up the televised coverage with trying to focus on the web feed. The whole feed crashed. It seemed ok on Motors TV but apparently to make matters worse, the TV coverage started one hour into the race. It looks like the American network providing the coverage didn't have red button option for it's viewers and there a lot of unhappy fans threatening to make the cross over to Grand Am for their sportscar fix.

http://www.alms.com/articles/atherton-web-crash-not-acceptable

This year has seen a disastrous coverage by the TV stations with mixed up commentating, bad video feeds and non stop plugs for sponsors eating into the race. Nobody else is winning apart from Muscle Milk and the multiple categories seem very confusing to everybody bar the hardcore enthusiast. Grand Am looks like the prominent series this year with different winners and less confusion with the different categories. It reminds me of the Indy/Champ battle and we all know how that ended up.

Great looking car.
    557179_10151078381797668_1556026309_n.jpg
    557179_10151078381692668_1846924221_n.jpg
    557179_10151078381787668_850048452_n.jpg
    557179_10151078381742668_123902839_n.jpg

KenSwee wrote: »
    ELMS has cancelled it's last two races and optioned for a trip across the water to join up with ALMS. It's looking dodgy for the whole LMS set up. I'm checking the ALMS website and I saw that they completely screwed up the televised coverage with trying to focus on the web feed. The whole feed crashed. It seemed ok on Motors TV but apparently to make matters worse, the TV coverage started one hour into the race. It looks like the American network providing the coverage didn't have red button option for it's viewers and there a lot of unhappy fans threatening to make the cross over to Grand Am for their sportscar fix.

http://www.alms.com/articles/atherton-web-crash-not-acceptable

This year has seen a disastrous coverage by the TV stations with mixed up commentating, bad video feeds and non stop plugs for sponsors eating into the race.

I agree with you, but never forget, no sponsors = no coverage, so Id rather put up with the ads than a non existant stream
    Nobody else is winning apart from Muscle Milk and the multiple categories seem very confusing to everybody bar the hardcore enthusiast. Grand Am looks like the prominent series this year with different winners and less confusion with the different categories. It reminds me of the Indy/Champ battle and we all know how that ended up.

Granted Muscle Milk keep winning but some wins have have taken an even bigger effort than normal - they came from 4 laps behind to win at Lime Rock Park. Dyson are being hampered by the Lola chassis - moreso no Lola support/parts than the team themselves. The recession is hitting the series too, with P2 promising but lacking, the GTC class is good though, but only there to make up numbers and due to the fundig Yokohama tyres are putting in.

Grand-Am is owned by NASCAR so there is more discontent in the series lately with dissatisfied teams and drivers

ALMS has THE best GT racing in the world though, factory Corvette and Viper teams against factory supported BMW,Ferrari,Lotus and Porsche teams, with mostly reasonable Balance of Performance to keep it tight. When SRT/Riley get the Viper fully dialled in it will be even better. The big question mark though is what will replace the BMW M3 in 2013, rumours abound of a compromised Z4, but wait and see as the GT3 Z4 uses the M3 engine, not available in a roadgoing Z4 and therefore illegal under ACO (ALMS) rules

ALMS promotes itself as both 'World Class' and 'For the Fans' so it will be interesting to see how they handle the broadcasting disaster

I agree with you, but never forget, no sponsors = no coverage, so Id rather put up with the ads than a non existant stream

Granted Muscle Milk keep winning but some wins have have taken an even bigger effort than normal - they came from 4 laps behind to win at Lime Rock Park. Dyson are being hampered by the Lola chassis - moreso no Lola support/parts than the team themselves. The recession is hitting the series too, with P2 promising but lacking, the GTC class is good though, but only there to make up numbers and due to the fundig Yokohama tyres are putting in.

Grand-Am is owned by NASCAR so there is more discontent in the series lately with dissatisfied teams and drivers

ALMS has THE best GT racing in the world though, factory Corvette and Viper teams against factory supported BMW,Ferrari,Lotus and Porsche teams, with mostly reasonable Balance of Performance to keep it tight. When SRT/Riley get the Viper fully dialled in it will be even better. The big question mark though is what will replace the BMW M3 in 2013, rumours abound of a compromised Z4, but wait and see as the GT3 Z4 uses the M3 engine, not available in a roadgoing Z4 and therefore illegal under ACO (ALMS) rules

ALMS promotes itself as both 'World Class' and 'For the Fans' so it will be interesting to see how they handle the broadcasting disaster

Well, ALMS certainly gave us a good ending. I watched it on Motors TV and I know that it's broadcast was delayed (not sure how long as I watched the race the next morning) but as far as I could see, the broadcast was good this time. I did read that there were huge problems with the various online options available to for fans so it seems that the whole TV problem is beyond the organisers capabilities for this season. I even read that one channel decided to broadcast 8 year old's playing baseball instead on the race so that tells us what problems the event had.
    I do hope the championship continues as it would be a shame to see it go down the tube.

The World Endurance Championship? Has this has done damage to LMS events around the world. Could it be possible for ELMS & ALMS to combine into a global series with heavy emphasis on European and American events?

Definitely agree with you that the GT class is far better in ALMS.

As a footnote, big kudos to Patrick Dempsey and his team in both ALMS and Grand Am. He is investing a lot and I hope his efforts are fulfilled as I think he and his team are setting a great example and benchmark.

Well done to Damien Faulkner with solid
    3rd in class.

• Advertisement

I saw on the Motors TV website that they were showing all the races bar Le Mans, live but I didn't see the last race (Silverstone) on their listing. Am I wrong or was the races shown only in highlights/delayed coverage?

Also has anybody seen the magazine program for the WEC on Eurosport?
    I thought is was full of too much talking and very little racing. I can se that they are trying to promote the championship by introducing drivers, teams and some tips but asking Martin Brundle how it feels to pass backmarkers? I thought it was bit too much.

GT1 Championship Race from Moscow Raceway just starting http://gt1world.com/pages/live

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I saw on the Motors TV website that they were showing all the races bar Le Mans, live but I didn't see the last race (Silverstone) on their listing. Am I wrong or was the races shown only in highlights/delayed coverage?

Also has anybody seen the magazine program for the WEC on Eurosport?
    I thought is was full of too much talking and very little racing. I can se that they are trying to promote the championship by introducing drivers, teams and some tips but asking Martin Brundle how it feels to pass backmarkers? I thought it was bit too much.

sometimes I think there is not enough talking/features on motors, but that WEC show on eurosport was a bit much.
    They seemed to totally ignore lmp2, apart from the wheels coming off the Murphy car.

sometimes I think there is not enough talking/features on motors, but that WEC show on eurosport was a bit much.
    They seemed to totally ignore lmp2, apart from the wheels coming off the Murphy car.

Unfortunately its a case of what people want to see, granted the LMP2 class produces some fantastic racing, but its not at the front of the field, same with GTE :( . I was there, epic weekend though

sometimes I think there is not enough talking/features on motors,

My guess is that Motors TV won't pay for presenters.

My guess is that Motors TV won't pay for presenters.

Probably, they are a very low budget operation

I was there, epic weekend though

Is it going to be a long term formula in your opinion?
    How do you think will it work along side Le Mans and Grand Am?

Is it going to be a long term formula in your opinion?
    How do you think will it work along side Le Mans and Grand Am?

First Question: Yes

Second Question: Ill give my opinion later after the formal announcement of the Grand Am - ALMS takeover ahem merger

Second Question: Ill give my opinion later after the formal announcement of the Grand Am - ALMS takeover ahem merger

Is there something I should know?

• Advertisement

Advertisement