Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Racing News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

no, stop it, it's closer to a bike engined cat7. I don't know how it will help nissan
    build saloons. Should have stuck a diesel in it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The Deltawing looks even weider in person than it does in pictures. Ill try and upload a couple when it does another demo.

Practice was pretty interesting even though Audi dominated but the night session showed that anything can happen during the race.

Ill put up a few pics from the action over the weekend as well, here's one of the number 3 Audi:
    number-3-audi-sebring-fp1-2012.jpg?w=900

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

i hate you frostie... :P

interesting session last night by the sounds of things everyone was crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

http://alms.com/camera/live-broadcast
    9:43:41 to go.

Someone remind me to tune in tonight for the last hour or so :P

• Advertisement

hahaha another epic last lap for the gt podium

Great video uninterrupted by commentary just great engine sounds

people who complain about traffic in f1 make me laugh :P

absolutely brilliant interview with Audi Sport's Ulrich Baretzky giveing his take on rule makers the withdrawal of Peugeot and much more

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

amacachi wrote: »
    Has anyone done Le Mans and have advice or tips for travel? Couple of us want to head, Ferry/driving is long but cheap and allows for stockpiles of alcohol, flights are quick but would be impossible to lug around the amount of stuff we'd be wanting to.

I presume you'll be coming from Ireland?
    Never did the race but I've driven to Le Mans a few times and I have to say, you can't beat the trip for fun. Le Mans is about 3 hours at a decent pace. Place is always buzzing anytime I've been there so I can only imagine what it's like race weekend.

I reckon you do the ferry car trip.

• Advertisement

Grim. wrote: »
    Pescarolo's second car will be a dome S102.5 drivers will be Sebastien Bourdais and Nic Minassian third driver TBA

425578_10150655706664384_270701639383_11279560_1486526106_n.jpg

Looks like an old Tiga
    s1_1.jpg

I love the fact that there is plenty of Endurance racing on Motors TV but holy good, they are so amateurish when it comes to production quality and presentation.

On each occasion I've watched the coverage of the sportcars, it seems to be all over the place. The schedule keeps changing without updating the EPG which means you end up recording Motocross or something. When they are using a feed from ESPN, it's not too bad but on each occasion, they quality changes from poor to terrible.

At Sebring and Daytona in particular, the sound quality of the commentators sound feed was so bad, I had to listen to it via the internet.

The commentators are terrible: They lack so much and are just not professional enough. If you are a novice and decide to tune in, you haven't a hope of understanding what is going on. You almost get the impression that they are doing it for themselves rather than the viewers. At the end of this weeks coverage of the ELMS race, it just ended after nearly two minutes of archive footage and no proper sign off.

Reminds me of how Eurosport was broadcast ten years ago. I understand it's free but I'd rather pay for a better service.

As announced yesterday Chrysler is to return to GT racing with the new Viper

2012-04-05-viper-6.jpg
    2012-04-05-viper-5.jpg
    2012-04-05-viper-7.jpg
    From ACO Press release
    Victorious in its class (GT2; GTS) at the 24 Hours of Le Mans 1998, 1999 and 2000, the Chrysler Viper will be back in ALMS during the course of this season. This will be a brand new model, showing the lines of the road version that will be marketed next year.

Soon, Corvette will not be the only U.S. manufacturer in the fight against Aston Martin, Porsche and Ferrari. Starting this summer, two new Chrysler Vipers will join the ranks of the American Le Mans Series at the hands of experienced drivers; Dominik Farnbacher, Marc Goossens Ryan Hunter-Reay and Kuno Wittmer.

The car, which has already had its first test, was designed in partnership with Riley Technologies,, seen many times in the 24 Hours of Le Mans (Riley & Scott). Although a possible return to La Sarthe has not yet been mentioned, significant results in the ALMS should be enough to set new ambitions for Chrysler, especially since the new road version of the Viper will be launched commercially in 2013.

Ralph Gilles, President and CEO of Chrysler SRT group : "Racing has been a significant part of the illustrious history of Viper not only with significant wins on the track, but also in the continued development of the street cars - and our new 2013 SRT Viper models are proof of those lessons learned,"

Scott Atherton, ALMS President: "The Chrysler Group has a long, storied and very successful history of competing with the American Le Mans Series. We would be hard-pressed to come up with a better scenario than having the brand return with the simultaneous introduction of both the new production car and the competition version. What a great way for SRT Viper to come back to racing."

Status Grand Prix and Murphy Prototypes are about to called from the reserves list to receive Le Mans entries - both Irish funded teams

Pescarolo's second car will be a dome S102.5 drivers will be Sebastien Bourdais and Nic Minassian third driver TBA

425578_10150655706664384_270701639383_11279560_1486526106_n.jpg

The third driver is Seiji Ara - previous overall winner at Le Mans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

KenSwee wrote: »

The commentators are terrible: They lack so much and are just not professional enough. If you are a novice and decide to tune in, you haven't a hope of understanding what is going on. You almost get the impression that they are doing it for themselves rather than the viewers.

Have to say I've ALWAYS enjoyed the commentary. I agree the sound can be a bit off, but I've always liked the banter of the guys from Radio Le Mans, and how they sound like they love the whole event.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98632

Rossi is trying his hands at four wheels again.
    Also Patrick Dempsey is heading to La Sarthe.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98592

Also Patrick Dempsey is heading to La Sarthe.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98592

Why is it every time I hear his name, I think of Peter Dempsey :/ (from Ashbourne, raced Indy Lights last year)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98632

Rossi is trying his hands at four wheels again.

Ill be there, and he has proven himself on 4 wheels too, only a one off appearance for now

I see Motors TV screwed up the coverage of the GT3 last weekend.

Wrong times listed as usual.
    Second rate TV station.

• Advertisement

this was announced the other day and i forgot to post it, but Toyota are out of Spa Six hours after a testing shunt that destroyed their only Chassis.
    Toyota forced to miss Six Hours of Spa after Paul Ricard testing crash

Toyota has been forced to delay the racing debut of its new LMP1 car following a crash during testing at Paul Ricard.

The Japanese manufacturer was scheduled to compete with its new TS030 HYBRID in the Six Hours of Spa on 5 May, but a crash at Paul Ricard last week has made Toyota change its plans.

Frenchman Nicolas Lapierre was driving the car, and the team did not specify the cause of the accident.

Toyota said the damage to the car was too severe to be repaired, and that a new monocoque cannot be produced and sufficiently tested to ensure reliability within the limited time available.

The team will now make its first racing appearance at the Le Mans 24 Hours in June.

"We are deeply saddened to announce this decision and our sympathies are with the drivers, team members and fans who have been anticipating the Spa race so eagerly," said Toyota racing president Yoshiaki Kino****a.

"Since the accident we have looked into all options but unfortunately there is no alternative course of action open to us."

The team said it will now urgently prepare a new monocoque to resume testing ahead of Le Mans.

And in other LMP1 news, here is a video of the 2012 Audi R18 ultra testing at Monza, love the red leds in the headlights.

All I can say is: that sounds fúcking awesome.

The sound of that Audi is amazing.
    Total respect to VW Group for keeping the sprit of Group C alive all these years.

On another note, I noticed that the centre piece on the back looks like the Kremer Porsche CK5. It seems Kremer were a little a head of their time.

1167155608713.DER_KREMER_PORSCHE_CK5_IN_L.JPG
    s1_1.jpg

TheChrisD wrote: »
    All I can say is: that sounds fúcking awesome.

Agree, sounds abit like the 908, which is a good thing!

radically different front end on the newest version of the TS030

479355_356310731092054_256388114417650_1027601_1914565029_o.jpg

The spa 6 hours starts in 30 mins for anyone interested full race on motors tv

Murphy Prototypes finished 3rd in class and 10th overall - the 1st Irish team to stand on a World Sportscar Championship podium in 36 years

Also Matt Griffin finished 3rd in class and 26th overall, 2 Irish podiums at a World Championship event and Motorsport Ireland are not the slightest bit interested

Great showing by Murphy Prototypes in p2 its a pity Alexander Sims wrote of the status car in practice because we may have had two Irish teams on the podium.

Yeah what can you say about Griffin he's a Superb GT driver can't wait to see how he gets on at lemans, crazy thing is his never been there even as a spectator!. just need to get Damian Faulkner over from the alms now and were laughing.

Some cool vids from on board the Audis with telemetry.

Just finally got around to finish watching Spa after recording it.
    Interesteing to see the "standard" R18 beating the newer e-tron R18, it'll be interesting to see if genuine competition appears between the two different Audis. Also interesting was the understeer issues from the e-tron and what looked like tyre issues in the very late stages of the race.
    Word from Toyota is that they reckon (they would) that they WILL beat Audi, so watch this space.

Delighted to see Murphy Prototypes doing so well, sad that it won't have been given any air-time or paper space on any of the Irish media (outside of motorsport specific), yet if Brian O' Driscoll wipes his arse you'll hear about it!!!!!!

Some great battling in the GT classes, also some rather dim moves by a few of the prototypes when it came to getting through traffic. Special mention to the Gulf team which managed to hit and trip over everything on the track.

Really looking forward to Le Mans now, I think certainly twists are in store, not least since Spa is only 1/4 of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

The Pesca has been revealed and its a beaut!
    2012-05-29-test-magny-cours-pescarolo-03_01.jpg
    Also the Toyota in all its new livery splendor:
    ln0s7.jpg

Advertisement