Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drinking 7-Up When You're Sick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

No
    Boil the 7up, last year I got food poisoning and was told to boil 7up and I wasn't thinking straight so I poured the bottle Into the kettle, it was disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Aye, boiled 7up or boiled red lemonade, remember getting that as a kid if I was sick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No
    sesna wrote: »
    Yup nothing better than a drink full of sugar causing osmotic diarrhoea, to exacerbate an already existing stomach problem. I would use rehydration sachets, but of course mammy knows best.

Mammy always know best. How else could you find socks for example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No
    Mammy always know best. How else could you find socks for example?
    Two month old unwashed smell? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

No
    Perhaps it is the placebo effect?

and what does a gps have to do with anything?

sorry general practitioners :D

even if it is the placebo effect it hasnt given me any negative side effects any time ive taken it while sick so i cant see what sesna is getting at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

No
    Why in gods name would you ever boil 7up?!!

If ya's want it flat just stir it with a spoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Yup nothing better than a drink full of sugar causing osmotic diarrhoea, to exacerbate an already existing stomach problem. I would use rehydration sachets, but of course mammy knows best.

Since the body can absorb glucose, it wouldn't cause any osmotic effect I think. Could be wrong though... And anyway, if you did have some sort of tummy bug, a small bit of diarrhoea might be no bad thing as it would help flush out the bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

No
    Why in gods name would you ever boil 7up?!!

If ya's want it flat just stir it with a spoon.

Doesn't do the job properly, there's still a little gas left in it when you do that. Also it sterilises it at the same time, can't be a bad thing when you're sick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

No
    Ya dont need to sterilise it, its perfectly clean.

Boiling it has got to alter the properties of the drink. Cant be good! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

To get it flat all ya do is shake the living dayligths out of tghe bottle. Don't open it for a while but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Urban legend I think. Surely no soft drink is good for you let alone whilst your ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

aDeener wrote: »
    sorry general practitioners :D

even if it is the placebo effect it hasnt given me any negative side effects any time ive taken it while sick so i cant see what sesna is getting at

nah tis no placebo. it's the right balance of sugars and water to give you a bit of energy to get you motoring sooner rather than later. warming it up gets rid of the fizz so that it won't let the gas build up.

No
    Ya dont need to sterilise it, its perfectly clean.

Boiling it has got to alter the properties of the drink. Cant be good! :eek:

Not true, there are plenty of micro organisms in absolutely every foodstuff (inc. drinks) available to us, now they wouldn't be at all harmful to a healthy person, but for someone really ill it could make a difference. It's hardly crucial that it's sterilised, just a little added bonus for someone who is really ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No
    Perhaps it is the placebo effect?

and what does a gps have to do with anything?
    Being a smartarse never got anybody anywhere.

Unboiled 7up doesn't cause osmotic diarrhoea, so I can't see how removing the carbon dioxide would. Me thinks one is talking through ones hole tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

7-Up years ago is a totally different drink to the 7-Up of today.

Today it contains fructose corn syrup and other artificial crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

From the Beacon Hospital website:
    After your child's operation/procedure...your child will be offered flat 7 up in order to slowly rehydrate. Solids are not always given as they may cause vomiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

No
    TBH, whenever I've food poisoning, flat 7up with a tiiiiny tiiiiny bit of salt is the first thing I have when I can keep anything down to try get something back in to my body after a day of nothing. I find it helps a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've also heard a few times that flat (boiled) 7-up is good for the runs and so on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    As opposed to natural 7 up? :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

No

It's a shame 7-Up doesn't occur naturally in the wild anymore. :p

• Advertisement

What's so funny? Laugh at me again and I'll give you a wedgy :)

Seriously, years ago they used glucose and sugar to sweeten soft drinks and lemon and lime juice from concentrate also.

Contrast that now with today's fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners and flavorings and you are talking about a total different product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Dont know about 7-up, but a few gin and tonics will work wonders for your malaria.

No
    What's so funny? Laugh at me again and I'll give you a wedgy :)

Seriously, years ago they used glucose and sugar to sweeten soft drinks and lemon and lime juice from concentrate also.

Contrast that now with today's fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners and flavorings and you are talking about a total different product.

Dude, fructose is a simple sugar just like glucose. The reason there's a big thing about it is because it's dead cheap to grow and so it was bad for sugar producers here when foreign companies started shipping it in, replacing glucose. IIRC the EU placed a quota on imports of fructose for that reason. It doesn't really have any major effects on health unless you're taking in extreme amounts - but the same goes for anything else really.
    And last time I checked 7up didn't have any artificial anything in it :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

aDeener wrote: »
    funny that all the times ive been sick, boiled 7up has never done that to me afterwards, also funny that 3 different GPS have in the past recommended me to take it when sick. but of course sesna knows best

Oh if a GP told you, it must be true !

The original mark was made somewhat in jest, but to elaborate slightly, there is little direct clinical data to answer the effectiveness of drinking flat 7up from many scientific analyses demonstrating the inappropriateness of non-physiological liquids for treatment of acute gastroenteritis in children, compared with physiologically-based oral rehydration solutions. Therefore carbonated drinks, “flat” or otherwise, including cola, provide inadequate fluid and electrolyte replacement and are advised in any clinical guidelines.

Rehydration sachets and loperamide are effective treatment for diarrhoea.

I see now why there is such a good market for homeopathic products etc.

Oh if a GP told you, it must be true !

The original mark was made somewhat in jest, but to elaborate slightly, there is little direct clinical data to answer the effectiveness of drinking flat 7up from many scientific analyses demonstrating the inappropriateness of non-physiological liquids for treatment of acute gastroenteritis in children, compared with physiologically-based oral rehydration solutions. Therefore carbonated drinks, “flat” or otherwise, including cola, provide inadequate fluid and electrolyte replacement and are advised in any clinical guidelines.

Rehydration sachets and loperamide are effective treatment for diarrhoea.

I see now why there is such a good market for homeopathic products etc.

Well it's hardly a great surprise that something like dioralyte which is designed to adequately replace the fluids and electrolytes lost due to diarrhoea, is better at doing this than 7up.

If you're not very sick and have a bit of mild GE, then there's no harm taking some 7up, it gets your blood sugar up a bit and is easy on the stomach. Above all, it is cheap and unlikely to do any harm.

Where's your evidence to back up your claim about 7up causing osmotic diarrhoea??

7-Up years ago is a totally different drink to the 7-Up of today.

Way back when (pre 1950), it contained lithium!!:eek:

yerayeah wrote: »
    Way back when (pre 1950), it contained lithium!!:eek:

There was cocaine in Coke too :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No
    There was cocaine in Coke too :)
    Stupid modern artificial crap!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable