Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SuperMattDude

Got any notes on organisations that promote irish music ?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

itsmekie wrote: »
    Do you have any tips on dictation for music? Finding it really hard and i can never seem to get it right. Not too bad at music overall but this is bringing my Grade down. I only got 12/40 in my mock on this question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ok well I guess I guess got lucky in that I don't struggle with dictation... I think the best advice I can give you is to practice them as much as you can! It's not too late yet ;) If you have a piano in your house you could have your mum/brother/sister etc. play a few notes and you try and guess them :O Stuff like that.. It's all about developing your musical ear ;)

Got any notes on organisations that promote irish music ?

Yup...

Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann

Formed in Jan. 1951 with the aim of promoting traditional Irish music and with the aim also of organising an annual festival of traditional dance + music. The first Fleadh Cheoil was organised for May of that year.
    Fleadh Cheoil gave traditional music a platform where they could play to an appreciative audience. The 1st Fleadh Cheoil only attracted a few 100 musicians but nowadays it is a huge international festival attracting tens of 1000's of musicians from the four corners of the world.
    Branches of Comhaltas were formed all over Ireland and they organise classes, concert competitions and sessions at local level. They have county and provincial fleadhs.
    Comhaltas now has branches in every county in Ireland, in Britain, the U.S.A, Canada and worldwide such as Japan, Hungary, Sardinia and Australia.
    Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann has one of the most valuable national archives of traditional music and song in the country. This collection is housed in Culturlann na hEireann and contains over 4000 hours of edited priceless material which is being added to regularly.

Since the founding of the first Irish radio station in 1926 the media has played a significant role in promoting traditional Irish music. 40 years ago Raidió na Gaeltachta was established. (1972) It has succeeded in promoting Irish music, and has created an archive of Irish music that would have otherwise been lost. They recently marked the 40th Birthday of the Willie Clancy week (famous Clare Piper) and honoured Sean ó Sé (former Ceoltoirí Cúalainn singer). Without these types of programmes much of our culture would have been lost. "The Rambling House" and "Ceilí House" are broadcast from various venues throughout Ireland showcasing the best of Irish Music.

Among the programmes that Raidió na Gaeltachta have in their archives are "Come West Along the Road" (We watched them in Music Class, boring as ****).
    Another weekly show that promotes and preserves Irish Music is "Cuireadh Chun Ceoil" (Invitation to Music is what that means) every Friday 19.00 - 21.00 an is broadcast all over the world on the internet. They run an Irish instrument competition "The Sean O Riada Gold Medal Competition". Anyone from anywhere in the world can enter via the internet. They also play a mixture of new CD and old recordings and promote upcoming Irish music events.

I know they're super detailed, so do what you want with em ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 itsmekie

OisinLAD wrote: »
    Ok well I guess I guess got lucky in that I don't struggle with dictation... I think the best advice I can give you is to practice them as much as you can! It's not too late yet ;) If you have a piano in your house you could have your mum/brother/sister etc. play a few notes and you try and guess them :O Stuff like that.. It's all about developing your musical ear ;)

thanks for the advice:) Could you write up a list of account titles for the Irish music part d?

itsmekie wrote: »
    thanks for the advice:) Could you write up a list of account titles for the Irish music part d?

I have no idea what could come up. Honestly I've done nothing for music :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 larasaidbh

Does anyone here have any notes on character for An t-Adh by Padraig Ó Conaire? Can't find them anywhere! I'd love it if you did... xx

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

larasaidbh wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any notes on character for An t-Adh by Padraig Ó Conaire? Can't find them anywhere! I'd love it if you did... xx

Yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Yes please!

Here are some notes on An-tAdh:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lovetobeinlove

Insurance notes for JC business! :)

WHY IS INSURANCE IMPORTANT?
    Removes Risk: Insurance removes the risk of financial loss associated with personal and business life, i.e. theft, fire, accidental damage, etc.
    Dependants: Insurance provides individuals with financial security for their dependants should the policy holder die, e.g. life assurance.
    Innocent Victims: Insurance is necessary so that innocent victims of accidents will receive compensation for injury or damage suffered as a result of the actions of others.
    Saving: Insurance is a means of saving.
    Economy: Insurance companies invest heavily in the economy in the form of government stock, equities, and property.
    Employment: Insurance companies are major employers in Ireland.

PRINCIPLES OF INSURANCE
    There are five basic principles or rules of insurance:
    INSURABLE INTEREST
    Financial Interest: In order to obtain insurance, a person or business must have an insurable (financial) interest in the item they wish to insure.
    Benefit and Suffer: To have a financial interest in something means you benefit from the existence of the item and would suffer financially by its loss.
    Examples:
    • you have an insurable interest in your own house but not in your neighbour’s house
    • you have an insurable interest in the life of a racing dog but not in a pet dog, as this would represent a sentimental loss rather than a financial loss
    UTMOST GOOD FAITH
    Trust: Every contract of insurance is based on trust.
    Proposal Form: A person taking out insurance is required to answer all questions on the proposal form truthfully, and to disclose all relevant information regarding themselves and the item to be insured.
    Material Facts: Relevant information is known as ‘material facts’ and would include anything that would help the insurance company to calculate the risk involved and the premium to be charged.
    Void Contract: The failure to disclose relevant information, whether accidental or deliberate, may result in the policy being cancelled and a refusal to pay compensation.
    Examples:
    • a history of family illness in the case of life assurance
    • previous accidents in the case of motor insurance

INDEMNITY
    Profit: This principle states that no person should make a profit from insurance.
    Same Financial Position: The objective of insurance will always be to place the insured person in the same financial position after the loss as they were in before the loss occurred.
    Example: Sally Beatty purchased a car for €16,000. Three years later the car was stolen but the insurance company agreed to pay Sally only €9,000, i.e. the value of a three-year-old car of that make. The insurance company will not pay out €16,000, as this would have placed Sally in a better position than she was in before the loss occurred.
    SUBROGATION
    Indemnity: Subrogation is related to the principle of indemnity.
    Remaining Property: Once compensation has been paid for damage suffered, any property of value still remaining, whether intact or partly damaged, becomes the property of the insurance company.
    Example: A stolen car that is subsequently recovered, after compensation has been paid.
    Right to Sue: Once the insured person has received compensation, any rights to sue a third party for damage caused revert to the insurance company.
    Example: A person who slips on a shop floor due to the negligence of the shopkeeper. If that person receives compensation under his or her personal accident insurance policy, he or she must allow the insurance company to take legal action against the negligent shopkeeper. To allow the insured to do both would result in a profit being made from insurance.
    CONTRIBUTION
    Indemnity: Contribution is related to the principle of indemnity.
    Multiple Insurers: It seeks to prevent a person making a profit from insurance by insuring an item with more than one insurance company.
    Contribute: In such a situation, the compensation will only be paid once, with each of the insurance companies involved contributing to the loss in proportion to the sums insured with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Found a brilliant French website with all French grammar explained. Hopefully it will do the job for me as we haven`t done hardly any verbs or tenses at school..... http://www.francais.ie/grammar/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Here are some notes I made for Section 1 Question 1 for CSPE (the people/buildings question). I added some extra ones that probably aren't necessary. Most people will know most of the people here, but it's a good idea to have a read over this before the exam. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwvt7m9ujsi90ff/CSPE%20S1%20Q1%20Notes.docx

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Science notes for The Circulatory System!

Key points----

The circulatory system is composed of the blood, the blood vessels and the heart.
    There are three types of cell: the red blood cells, the white blood cells and the platelets.

The RED blood cells carry oxygen to all cells.

The WHITE blood cells protect the body from diseases.

The PLATELETS clot the blood.

The PLASMA is the liquid part of the blood. It transports dissolved substances and heat around the body.

Blood travels around the body in veins, arteries and capillaries.

Valves prevent the backflow of blood.

KEY NOTE!!!!!! “A” is for (A)RTERY BECAUSE 'A' is for (A)WAY

REVISION QUESTIONS:

Q -What four things is the heart made up of?

Ans:
    1 – The left atria
    2 – The right atria
    3 – The left ventricle
    4 – The right ventricle

Q- Why is the wall of the left ventricle much thicker than that of the right ventricle?

Ans: Because the left ventricle pushes blood much further than the right ventricle.

Q - How does blood enter the body?

Ans i) Blood enters (the body) through the atria and the ventricles

Q - How does blood enter the -heart-?
    Ans: Blood enters the HEART through the vena cava and the pulmonary veins.

Q - How does blood --leave-- the heart?
    Ans: Blood leaves the HEART through the aorta and the pulmonary artery.

Q - Why do pulse and breathing rates increase after exercise?
    Ans: Because the cells of the body need more oxygen and food.

---

---Important points to note:

A person's pulse rate can be affected by their age, gender, stress factors, level of exercise and diet.

The arteries carry blood AWAY from the heart (remember 'a' for (a)way!)

The veins carry blood TO the heart

Capillaries LINK the veins and the arteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Anyone have anything for Julius Caesar possibly relationships?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 looney123

Does anyone have calua Irish story notes please
    😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cygnetab

looney123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have calua Irish story notes please
    😊

Would you like a sample answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BHCJC

I realise that this thread is pretty much dead but if anyone has any notes for english (doesn't matter what section) they would be greatly appreciated :P
    My english teacher is terrible and doesn't give us any useful notes.
    The drama I studied is 'Romeo and Juliet' and the novel is 'The Outsiders' by S.E Hinton.
    If anyone is looking for notes in other subjects, let me know. I have a lot of notes for science that I shortened down as much as I could and I wouldn't mind sharing those if anyone needs them.
    Good luck on your mocks everyone! (mine start tommorow)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

BHCJC wrote: »
    I realise that this thread is pretty much dead but if anyone has any notes for english (doesn't matter what section) they would be greatly appreciated :P
    My english teacher is terrible and doesn't give us any useful notes.
    The drama I studied is 'Romeo and Juliet' and the novel is 'The Outsiders' by S.E Hinton.
    If anyone is looking for notes in other subjects, let me know. I have a lot of notes for science that I shortened down as much as I could and I wouldn't mind sharing those if anyone needs them.
    Good luck on your mocks everyone! (mine start tommorow)

Don't think I have any of my old notes from my JC left over but I may have something useful:

I used this for my JC on R&J and it was a really helpful revision guide: http://www.litcharts.com/lit/romeo-and-juliet
    Click on the picture in the left and fill in your email and they'll email you the PDF straight away.

They also have one on the Outsiders (http://www.litcharts.com/lit/the-outsiders). I don't know how good it is, but generally they're notes tend to be good, so maybe give it a go too!

Sparknotes and Cliffnotes are also pretty handy for getting quick summaries and notes on different novels, dramas and poems.

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

That litcharts website is very good. I wish I had known about that when I was doing my Junior Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Aaron McMahon

Does anybody have Chinese Cinderella quotes ,would really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Na Blátha Craige notaí by Liam O'Flaithearta

Codarsnacht
    • Tá codarsnacht láidir sa dán seo idir an dá íomha a cuirtear os ár comhair amach.
    • There is a strong contrast in the poem between the two images put in front of us.

• Is áit dearóil é, a deir an file linn.
    • The poet tells us the place is horrible.

• Áfach, tugtar íomha iomlán difriúil sa dara chuid den dán.
    • However, we are given a different image in the second part of the poem.

• Deirtear linn gur áit iontach deas sona é sa dara chuid den dán.
    • We are told the place is wonderful, nice and happy in the second part of the poem.

• Is léir mar sin go bhfuil codarsnacht láidir sa dán.
    • It is clear that there is a strong contrast in the poem.

Pearsantú

• Sa dara leath den dán úsáideann an file pearsantú.
    • In the second part of the poem, the poet uses personification.

• Tosaíonn na bláthanna ag caint leis an bhfile.
    • The flowers begin talking with the poet.

• Deir siad go bhfuil siad faoi dhraíocht ag ceol na farraige.
    • They said that they were entranced by the music of the sea.

For anybody doing Junior Cert Geography, here's the main requirements of the paper of what you need to know - I made this, no worries. Feel free to post it into a document and print it out so you can write down what you're gonna study for that requirement(s)

Junior Cert Geography Requirements
    1) Study the making of earthquakes, volcanoes, mid-ocean ridges and fold mountains.
    2) Study the work of one igneous rock. ____________
    3) Study the work of one sedimentary rock. ____________
    4) Study the work of one metamorphic rock. _____________
    5) Study an example of natural gas production. _____________
    6) Study an example of a karst landscape. ____________
    7) Study the work of two youthful stage (river) landforms. ___________ & ____________
    8) Study the work of two mature stage (river) landforms. ___________ & ____________
    9) Study the work of two old stage (river) landforms. ___________ & ___________
    10) Study the work of the sea or glaciation. __________
    11) Study all types of rainfall.
    12) Study one type of hot climate. ____________
    13) Study one type of temperate climate. ____________
    14) Study one type of cold climate. ____________
    15) Study an example of desertification. ____________
    16) Study an example of a tourist destination in the Mediterranean. _________________
    17) Study two types of Irish soils (but know a bit of information about each). __________________ & ________________
    18) Study an example of a developed country. ____________
    19) Study an example of a developing country. _____________
    20) Study Brazil or the West of Ireland (Population). ______________
    21) Study Sweden or Dublin (Population). _____________
    22) Study the West of Ireland or Mali (Population). ______________
    23) Study Kolkata or Hong Kong (Population). ____________
    (Higher level study both)
    24) Study an example of organised migration. ____________
    25) Study an example of settlement in Ancient Ireland. ____________
    26) Study the Polders in the Netherlands.
    27) Study an example of an Irish town/city/settlement and describe all its functions (3 required). _______________
    28) Study the Irish road network.
    29) Study EU airports or transport on the River Rhine. ____________ (Higher level study both)
    30) Study an example of a world or primate city (Urbanisation). ____________
    31) Study one urban problem in the developing world. ___________ (Higher level study two of them)
    32) Study Saudi Arabia (Economics). (Higher level only)
    33) Study the search for oil in Irish waters.
    34) Study an example of a country with irrigation problems. ____________
    35) Study an example of a farm. _______________
    36) Study a light industry. _____________ (Higher level only)
    37) Study a heavy industry. _____________ (Higher level only)
    38) Study the British iron and steel industry. (Higher level only)
    39) Study the women in the labour market in China. (Higher level only)
    40) Study the shortening of working hours.
    41) Study three problems associated with large-scale tourism.
    _______________, ________________ & ______________
    42) Study an example of a developing country frequently threatened by droughts. ____________
    43) Study the economic inequalities in Italy. (Higher level only)
    44) Study an example of a way economic inequality can be resolved. _______________________

Litir: Timpiste

Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte. Is fada an lá ó chuala mé uait. Go raibh maith agat as ucht do litir. Bhí sé ar intinn agam scríobh chugat. Ní raibh am agam scríobh go dtí seo. Bhí mé an-ghnóthach. Fán go gcloise tú mo scéal.

Bhí mé ar mo bhealach ar scoil an tseachtain seo caite. Bhí an aimsir uafasách, bhí an ghaoth ag séideadh go fíochmhar agus bhí na bóithre fliuch le báisteach. Bhí na bóithre sleamhain. Bhí mé ag rothaíocht ar nós na gaoithe. Ní fhaca mé an solas dearg nuair a tháinig mé go dtí na saoilse tráchta. Ní raibh mé ábalta an rothar a stopadh. Bhuail carr mé. Leag sé mé. Bhí mé i mo luí i lár an bhóthair. Bhailigh slua timpeall orm. Chuir duine éigin fios ar otharcarr. Bhí mé ag cur fola go dona. Tháinig an t-otharcarr gan mhoill. Chuir siad mé ar shinteán. Bhí an pian uafasách.

Bhuel níl aon nuacht eile agam. Scríobh litir chugam go luath. Ná déan dearmad. Ná déan moill. Beidh mé ag tnúth le litir uait roimh i bhfad. Feicfidh mé tú roimh i bhfad. Tabhair aire duit féin. Slán go fóill.

Ceapadóireacht: Timpiste

Bhí an ceolchoirm críochnaithe agus bhí mé ag fanacht don bhus. Is cuimhin liom an lá sin is a tharla sé inné. Oíche fuar dorcha i lár mí Meán Fómhair a bhí ann. Fuair mo chara Scott ticéidí do cheolchoirm a bhí ar siúl san 02. Bhí The Script ag seinm ann. Chuamar go Baile Átha Cliath ar an traein na maidin sin. Bhí sé plódaithe le daoine. Bhí mé ag tnúth go mór leis an gceolchoirm. Bhí atmaisféar leictreach ag an gceolchoirm. Chonaic mé slua idir óg agus aosta ann. Bhíomar ag canadh agus ag screadaíl go hard. Bhí an-chraic againn ag an gceolchoirm. Ach, bhí casadh sa scéal.

Bhí sé in uair mhairbh na hoíche. Bhíomar ag fanacht leis an mbus. Bhí na daoine ag canadh agus ag gáire. Bhí cúpla duine ar meisce freisin. Tamaill ina dhiadh sin, tháinig an bus. Shiúileamar isteach sa bhus agus gan a thuilleadh moille bhíomar ar an mbóthar go dtí an stáisiúin traenach. Ní raibh an trácht go dona. Cúpla nóiméad níos déanaí, thangamar go cúinne dáinséarch. Thiomáin an bus timpeall an cúinne go curamach. Gan choinne, chonaic mé carr ag teacht inár dtreo. Ba léir go raibh sé ag tiomáint i bhfad ró-thapaidh. Bhrúigh an tiománaí na coscáin agus chas sé an roth stiúrtha. Bhuail an carr an bus. Phléasc roth tosaigh an bhus agus chuala mé torann uafásach. Cheap mé go raibh mé marbh. Spraoithiománaithe a bhí iontu.

Ar feadh nóiméad bhí ciúnas ann. Ansin, chuala mé duine ag screadaíl. Bhí mo chara Scott gan aithne gan urlabhra. Bhí pian uafásach ina lámh. Mar dhonas ar na scéal, chonaic mé deatach dubh ag teacht amach as an inneall. Ní raibh a fhios agam cad ba cheart dom a dhéanamh. Bhí rí rá agus ruaille buaille ann. Rug buachaill amháin greim docht daingin ar an gcamán agus bhris sé an fhuinneog. Ansin, dhreap na daoine as an mbus. Nuair a bhí mé taobh amuigh den bhus chonaic mé a lán daoine ann. Chuala mé bonnán na nGardaí, an otharcharr agus an Briogáid Dóiteáin ag teacht. Mhúch siad an tine agus chuir siad na daoine gortaithe ar an sínteáin. Chuir na Gardaí na spraoithiománaithe isteach sa charr. Ní bhfuair mé néal codlata an oíche sin!

People in History: Theobald Wolfe Tone

Theobald Wolfe Tone was born in Dublin. Even though he was an Anglican, he hated the idea of ‘absolute slavery’ that the Catholics had to endure. Due to this, he wrote a pamphlet called ‘An Argument on Behalf of the Catholics of Ireland’ which ordered the Catholics and Protestants to unite and the Society of United Irishmen was founded in Belfast in October 1791. The aims of the society were to unite Catholics and Protestants in order to bring liberty and equality to Ireland and to campaign peacefully to reduce English power over Ireland. Wolfe Tone married a girl named Matilda Witherington when she was 16. Due to Tone’s requests of ordering French ships to help them win the rebellion, he was recognized and arrested in Provost’s Prison. The judge refused to shoot him, instead he sentenced Tone to be hanged. However, Tone committed suicide to avoid this travesty and was buried in Bodenstown, Co. Kildare. Tone is known as the father of Irish republicanism because he was the first to state that Ireland should be a republic.

People in History: A Farmer during the Agricultural Revolution

I am Seth Brothine and I live on a farm near the Nottingham region. When I was born in 1672, farming was a challenge for my family as we had very few cattle and crops. My father, Patrick taught me how to overcome living on the farm. We first have this open area called a common and it was very stressful to plant crops on this, due to the amount of birds that ate the seeds. It was also very narrow, had no fences and diseases spread rapidly among farm animals. However, from 1700 onwards, the Agricultural Revolution was created and loads of great changes took place in farming. The British Parliament passed laws called Enclosure Acts that allowed the big open fields and commons to be divided into compact farms. Each farm was then fenced off and sub-divided into smaller fields. However, the idea of enclosure was bad for some people because very poor peasants were given tiny farms and had to give up whilst labourers had nowhere to graze their animals. Robert Bakewell improved the breeding of cattle and sheep. Bakewell selected only the biggest and healthiest males and females for breeding purposes. By the time he died, cattle and sheep became very popular. In 1701, Jethro Tull invented a mechanical seed drill which allowed the farmers to plough their seeds straight and deep so the birds couldn’t get to them. Cyrus McCormack invented a mechanical reaper that could harvest cereal crops faster than before. Charles Townshend invented a four-field crop rotation in which no field was left fallow. The clover and turnips were used to feed cattle, so they became bigger and healthier. The Agricultural Revolution increased food supplies and led to population growth, rural unemployment and the Industrial Revolution.

People in History: Leonardo Da Vinci

Long ago, there was a famous artist named Leonardo Da Vinci. Da means from. He was born in an Italian city called Vinci which was located near Florence. Leonardo was raised by his single father. Leonardo was one of the first Italians to use oil paint. He was left-handed. Leonardo Da Vinci left many paintings unfinished and destroyed most of his work. Two of his works, the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper, are the most famous, most reproduced, most parodied portraits and religious paintings of all time. Leonardo was a vegetarian who loved animals and despised war, yet he worked as a military engineer to invent advanced and deadly weapons. Leonardo drew the plans for the first armoured car in 1485. He invented the bicycle 300 years before it appeared on the road. Leonardo Da Vinci created an inflatable tube so people could float in the water. Leonardo Da Vinci had dyslexia and when he made notes on his inventions it was all written in reverse which made it hard for others to dig through his notes and steal his ideas. Leonardo Da Vinci dug into graveyards at night to steal corpses and study human anatomy (and find out where the soul was). He produced aerial maps for Cesare Borgia which are still accurate today. Leonardo is considered by many as the father of modern science. He was one of the most acclaimed artists of the Renaissance. He was the illegitimate child of Messer Piero Fruosino di Antonio da Vinci, a Florentine notary, and Caterina, a peasant. Leonardo sketched the first parachute, helicopter, aeroplane, tank, repeating rifle, swinging bridge, paddleboat and motorcar. It took Da Vinci about 10 years to paint Mona Lisa’s lips.

People in History: Michelangelo

Michelangelo Buonarroti was a great Italian sculptor, painter and architect who was born near Florence in 1475. When he was young, he showed the people genius artistic talent and he was apprenticed to a well-known artist named Ghirlandaio. Michelangelo studied and admired the works of Donatello, who was a sculptor. When he finished his apprenticeship, he got a job sculpting statues in the Medici family’s gardens. Lorenzo the Magnificent, a famous patron of the arts, recognized the young man’s talent. Lorenzo the Magnificent, became his patron and treated him as a member of his family. Michelangelo’s mother died when he was only six. He spent four years working on the dome of the Sistine Chapel. He stood and scaffold and painted over his head, unlike the popular belief that he painted while laying down. He died in Rome in 1564. His remains were secretly returned to Florence and interred at the Basilica of Santa Croce, according to his wishes. Michelangelo was hit in the nose as a teenager by Pietro Torrigiano, a fellow art student at an art academy in Florence. The incident left him with a permanently crooked nose. In his old age, Michelangelo nearly lived as a hermit rarely coming into contact with others except when his work brought contact about. He lived in squalor despite being rich. Michelangelo sculpted David and Pieta, designed a dome for St. Peter’s Basilica and painted frescoes on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, all before he was 30 years old. He did not marry and had no children but was rumoured to have love affairs with Tommaso dei Cavalieri and the poet Vittoria Colonna.

• Advertisement

People in History: A Unionist Who Opposed Home Rule

My name is Daniel Devine and I am a unionist who is opposing against Home Rule. I am fairly prosperous living at Coleraine, Co. Antrim. I work at a shipyard called Sailer’s Booty and my wife, Chloe works at a linen industry. We both get good salary with an average of over £400 a week for supporting the Union. The Union was an act passed in 1800 and it united Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales into one state called the United Kingdom. Us protestants feared that if Ireland had its own parliament, we might be outvoted and discriminated against by the Roman Catholics. I warned my mates that ‘Home Rule will be Rome Rule’. Many of my ancestors were alive during the Ulster Plantation of 1609. After the 1910 general election, the Liberal Party in Britain needed the support of the Irish Home Rule Party to gain power. John Redmond made a deal that he would support the Liberals if they introduced a Home Rule Bill in Parliament. The Liberals agreed and a Home Rule Bill was passed into the House of Commons in 1912. Us unionists were horrified with Ireland getting its own parliament. Edward Carson and James Craig led unionist opposition to the Home Rule Bill as many unionists believed that it would break up the UK and weaken the British Empire. They organised street demonstrations and drew up a document called the Solemn League and Covenant which promised to oppose Home Rule by force if necessary. It was signed on Ulster Day, 28 September 1912. Over 100,000 joined the Ulster Volunteer Force. The UVF was supplied with arms during the Larne gun-running.

Advertisement