Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst place in Ireland......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

dlofnep wrote:
    I know enough that you're trying to push buttons with the nationalists on here by making jibes at the importance of Michael Collins' and Éamon De Valera's lives and their accomplishments. And then to say Derry isn't in Ireland, which it 100% is. I don't care where you have served, I despise your kind.

I haven't made any jibes at Collins or Dev. Read the thread again, without personal hate filling your eyes. People have called Dev a "spineless fcuker" and Collins a "sell-out", but I simply proposed some others.

You on the other hand, conceitedly said you achieved more before breakfast than Roche or Kelly did in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Had this debate a while back on another forum (yes, there are others!) Granard ran out the clear winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

it's a democracy, something that was taken from us by force

Oh no another "FTA 69/Free West Waterford" type.

we are in a democracy (after a fashion!) and Ireland before 'teh Brits' was never a democracy - it was a series of warring kingdoms lead by tin-pot local dictators.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

biko wrote:
    Anywhere is better than Furbo ;)

:eek: but Slemons garage does the best Jambons this side of the Shannon!

I'm gonna nominate Borris In Ossory.

Or Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Nailz wrote:
    And they have St.Patricks grave in a protestant grave-yard! No offence but he was catholic, and that extreamly pissed me off!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope you're trying to be funny!!

And finally, getting to the question at hand:

Waterford, by a long shot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mike65 wrote:
    Oh no another "FTA 69/Free West Waterford" type.

we are in a democracy (after a fashion!) and Ireland before 'teh Brits' was never a democracy - it was a series of warring kingdoms lead by tin-pot local dictators.

Mike.

easy on the usage of the "we" there fella :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭¬_¬

tough compo but id say waterford because of the mismarketing! IT IS NOT A CITY.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

derry is part of ireland FACT! just because there are 6 counties that dont go under the same govt doesnt mean its not part of ireland and anyone who believe otherwise is a muppet fullstop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Officially, Waterford is a city.

It may be miniscule, but it still meets the criteria.
    dlofnep wrote:
    Not when there's more americans living in New York.
    Americans in New York: African, Hispanic, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Scottish, English, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Korean, German and many, many more...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Derry is part of geographical Ireland, but not political Ireland. CAn people just leave it at that, or just f*ck off?

Anyway, I'm tempted to say Dublin, but everytime I leave it, I miss it. So I have to nominate Naas. Had to go through it when I was going to college in Carlow, and everytime I went through it added an extra 30-60 minutes to my journey, depending on the amount of window lickers that got off.

Sadly, I have friends from Naas, but I just can't bring myself to like the place.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote:

Americans in New York: African, Hispanic, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Scottish, English, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Korean, German and many, many more...

That is what being American is all about, unless you are a "Native American" then you really ARE American.

Anyway, anyone on the Island of Ireland is Irish, just some are in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dudess I throw my Gauntlet down to you! we're about 50,000 including the bits of south Kilkenny that are in fact Waterford in all but name.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

dlofnep wrote:
    Not when there's more americans living in New York.

The difference is the people from Derry are Irish, I think they can decide as a majoritive what they want from their city. it's a democracy, something that was taken from us by force.

Derry is apart of Ireland, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a pawn to the imperialist world.
    They might be "Irish" but they are british subjects, something you seem to be unwilling to grasp. The six counties are part of the U.K. as has already been said by SlowCoach but you have ignored that.
    Sounds like you're just flaming to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cornbb wrote:
    I'm gonna nominate Borris In Ossory.

+1
    Borris in Misery as it's also known.

Cloughjordan, North Tipp also.
    Known as "mini Belfast" as a huge percentage of the town is Protestant. Nothing wrong with that of course.
    Big enough town but absolutly nothing to do.
    It's best days were 100 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That is what being American is all about, unless you are a "Native American" then you really ARE American.

not according to the teachings of joseph smith ;) but then again he was a fruitcake :p

We are all just passing through this life, we don't REALLY own any land on this planet, it will be here long after the human race is but a distant memory in time; the sooner people realise this the better imo.

¬_&#172 wrote:
    tough compo but id say waterford because of the mismarketing! IT IS NOT A CITY.

What is city, please define.... Any place can call itself a city if they want to. Look at St David in Wales population 1,900

The german word for town and city is the same STADT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Dublin 15.....

rossie1977 wrote:
    What is city, please define.... Any place can call itself a city if they want to. Look at St David in Wales population 1,900

This topic has already been done to death!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cork. Its totally Cork. Because of the people. And their ridiculous attitude. And the ****in peoples republic tee shirts. They wouldnt spend christmas, and the accent they have on them. Sounds like a small dog having its balls trod on. And jesus the towns around that ****ing city. I ask you. Just horrible ****ty horrible ****hole. Lived there like 7 years. Nightmare. New Ross in Wexford is pretty ****ing bad. And Dublin. I mean Dublin just ****ing sucks. Junkies, morons, Dubs, traffic, a dirty smelly ****hole of a city. Oh and westmeath. Jesus. Those people have about two braincells to put together. And Tipperary. Its just a series of scumbags that decided to put some towns together so it would be easier to beat each other up and get sky digital. And anywhere in Connaught, except Galway, also totally totally sucks. And also Tralee, Kilkenny and Ennis.
    Actually hang on. Maybe I should list the places that I like. That would probably save some time.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Page 3, over 40 posts and nobody has said Limerick yet.

I'm not saying it's the worst by any means (in fact it's one of the best) but still, it usually gets picked on

I would say it wasn't mentioned because its far from the worst... I was visiting Limerick a couple of weeks back and was just blown away.. They have high rise buildings on the river now and i love the the new henry street area.. the place is booming! Although with all the construction it was very dusty everywhere.. They seem to be building a tunnel under the Shannon river also?

Its crazy saying dublin is the worst place in Ireland too, Some of the suburbs are soul less alright and transport can be a pain but on the whole the city is great!

The most depressing places in Ireland imo are gort (planning hell) and belfast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cootehill - poultry factory down one end of the main street, cheese factory at the other end. I was only there once about 10 years ago, but I'll never forget how I nearly threw up just getting out of the car and crossing the street the smell was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Derry is in Ireland, it is not in the Republic of Ireland but it is in Ireland. There is no political entity known as Ireland. Ireland is the island, not just the 26 counties. Hell not too long ago I heard Ian Paisley admit that he was Irish.

The worst place in Ireland is Portarlington, depressing place.

Actually the name of the country we live in is Ireland not the Republic of Ireland .The Republic of Ireland is a name used to describe the country but it's not actually the name of it .

So as people say Derry is geographically in Ireland(the island) but not in Ireland(the political entity) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭¬_¬

Didn't we give it up? wot with da good friday agreement and stuff?
    "The abolition of the Republic's territorial claim to Northern Ireland via the modification Articles 2 and 3 of its constitution."

Reading that didn't help at all. Just random people talking sh**e, offering no true solutions to the age old question :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

My name is Michael Cody, im from Dublin, ive just spent a few years in derry it has to be the worst place in ireland because:
    1. The people have the most annoying whinging accent ive ever heard.
    2. The place is looks like its falling down.
    3 There are no decent single women in the place, they are all pregnant by the age of 18 and drawing dole.
    3. The place is extremely zenophobic and narrow minded.
    4. There are no decent bar/clubs.
    5. The place has to be the most divided and sectarian city in Ireland.
    6. The place is full of scumbags.

Don't hold back,tell us what you really think....?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Leixlip is a bit of a dive tbh
    This coming from a stab city person.
    Hey, we gave the world Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cork. Its totally Cork. Because of the people. And their ridiculous attitude. And the ****in peoples republic tee shirts. They wouldnt spend christmas, and the accent they have on them. Sounds like a small dog having its balls trod on.
    Thing is, when I moved to Dublin, I didn't think of myself as a Cork person - it just didn't register with me as an issue. However, I became exceptionally aware of it after a while - because the Dubs I encountered wouldn't bloody shut up about it. *crap attempt at Cork accent*: "Oh you're from CARK are YAA??!! Up da rebels!! De People's Republic" etc.
    So I think this obsession with Cork identity is more a characteristic of non-Cork people than Cork people. And the whole People's Republic thing is only a bit of a laugh. Seriously. Sure, there is the odd idiot who is sad enough to think that Cork is the centre of the universe, but these people generally aren't worth knowing anyway.
    And jesus the towns around that ****ing city. I ask you. Just horrible ****ty horrible ****hole.
    Well that IS true. Mallow, Macroom, Midleton, the aforementioned Mitchelstown (I know, I don't get the "M" thing), Bandon - these should, nay MUST, be nuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Worst place in Ireland has to be anywhere in rural Co Kilkenny. The city is very nice, but anywhere outside is just sh1te. I've heard of visitors passing through places with harsh, guttural-sounding names like Kilmaganny and Mullinavat and going "how pretty!", but what they don't hear is the sound of banjos being plucked and tractors being revved in the night.

You could be beaten with a hurl to within an inch of your life for walking into pubs in these places wearing a Tipp or Waterford jersey, so imagine what it would be like if you were black or gay or otherwise standing out!

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Dublin-Cork bus stops in Urlingford for about 15 minutes and one time I, being an idiot, took my time about getting my coffee, going to the loo etc, resulting in the bus going off without me. I was stranded in Urlingford for over two hours (the bus is every two hours but it was a Friday evening so traffic ensured there was another 40 minutes added to that :eek:).

Not fun.

Advertisement