Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

At the moment, i'm reading "Blade of the Immortal" and rereading Akira
    Other then that well i have the vast majority of Preacher comics from edition 4 (well i think that's the earliest one i have)

That and plus over 500 editions of 2000AD

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by neXus9
    I'm just saying that if it is extremely watered down, it could be the fault of the producers rather than Garth Ennis.

I see where you're coming from, but given the last five years of movie adaptations, it's not like he can claim he didn't know they might be targeting a younger audience than the comic does. It is ultimately very probably the fault of some combination of people in the accounting department and someone in the production team saying "we can get a lot more people to watch this if we drop it to a 12 rating".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Original Sins was good, but wildly inconsistent. Constantine has a completely different look and attitude from story to story, and his much vaunted Englishness boils down to saying "Chum" a lot. Having said that, I liked it a lot, and I might just follow the adventures of Mr Constantine. Any suggestions where to go from here?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It is a bit wobbly, I admit - as to the different appearances, they vary from artist to artist and in the early days the artists were, as far as I know, continuously rotating.

I would recommend reading the Garth Ennis arc next, because although I found it to have too many overtones of what he later did in Preacher (which I read before hellblazer), they're some damn good stories. The Ennis books don't have to be read in order, but Rake at the gates of hell makes no sense and feels like an anticlimax outside of the context presented in the preceding four books. If you want a standalone and fully self-contained taste of ennis's writing, you could try Son Of Man. A weird little story, but interesting enough. And a few good laughs in there as well, which is nice.

Personally, I'm curious as to what's happened since Brian Azzarello stepped down from the writing - of the two major story arcs so far in the series, I actually preferred Azzarello's, partly because the stories felt fresher than Ennis's and partly because I prefer Marcelo Frusin's take on Constantine to Steve Dillon's. Richard Corben's stint was interesting too, although I can't quite make my mind up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by dubhthach

That and plus over 500 editions of 2000AD
    Got about 10 2000 ad comics, dated 82/83 for one euro each!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I came upon McSweeny's Quarterly Concern Issue 13 by chance in a bookstore recently and very glad I am of this too. Looking at the information on Amazon there, it appears to be a regular publication - must find out more about that - but I'll just stick to describing this book. It's an anthology of articles about the history of North-American comic creators plus short comics from many contemporary "alternative" comics creators from that same region. So far, I've read stuff from Robert Crumb, Daniel Clowes and Chris Ware, to name only those comicers with whom I was familiar before I got this book.

There's a huge variety of stuff in here, more importantly, of weird stuff - the kind of comics that draw you into weird surreal worlds and make you want to go and start making your own (I must get around to that!). There are also articles about how some of the greats went about making their comics which are very insightful. From an aesthetic point of view, this book is a pure pleasure to read. It's in hard cover and the paper over the hard cover is a poster you can unfold with comics on one side and bios of all the contributors plus some cool doodlings on the other. Plus, within this folded cover are hidden two further miniature comics - how cool is that?

Just finished Sin City, and god damn that was bleak. Sheesh.

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    Just finished Sin City, and god damn that was bleak. Sheesh.

Was it good, tho? Would you recommend it?

It was good. Very film noir, if it were a film noir directed by Tobe Hooper. The scratchy artwork was very cool, pretty unique, and the lead character is quite engaging..but...

Quite a few of the pages are splashes of a character just standing and looking shady, so for your 20.48, you aren't getting an awful lot of plot. It's also probably the darkest (tone wise) comic I've read, and the violence, much as I'm a big fan of comic violence, is often gratuitous. I know the whole point is to show us how nasty the guys world is, but some of the plot actually just feels like an excuse for more graphic torture.

Basically, the plot is this: This guy called Marv is a thug in Sin City, a big festering sleazehole of a town. Marv is big and ugly, and he's not a people person. So when the only person who was ever nice to him wakes up dead beside him (See? I can do noirish gangster speak....) he sets out to find her killer.

I liked it, but I dunno will I read it again anytime soon, and its a better borrow than a buy. I know a few folks who grooved with it though, and really love it...but I just liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

sin city really compliments James Elroy and Elmore Leonard
    great stuff
    but you wouldn't have it everyday

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    It was good. Very film noir, if it were a film noir directed by Tobe Hooper.
    Robert Rodriquez is going to direct a film of sin city. He's going to have Quentin Tarintino as a guest director of one of the stories.

I flicked through the book. Quite bulky, but as you said, seems to be that a lot of the pages have just artwork.

seems to be that a lot of the pages have just artwork.

Yeah, and while the art is very cool and fits the tone to a T, you can't really sit back and enjoy it or anything, because its not exactly easy on the eye.

I read transmetropolitan book 1, and fysh was right about it being too concerned with the setting of the city, it's quite boring (I wanted to start from the start).

I'm about half way through book 2 though, and it's pretty damn good!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just finished 2 Ultimate Spider-Man books (vols 7 & 9) which tie in with X-men and Ultimates. Quite good - must get more Ultimate Spider-Man. Actually, no, must get my brother to get more - he makes all the purchases in the house ;)

Over halfway through From Hell (never read it before). Very good so far - harsh in places, but that's all part of the charm :)

Over halfway through From Hell (never read it before). Very good so far - harsh in places, but that's all part of the charm

Would you say it justifies the hefty price tag?

From hell is quite a big book, so it probably explains the price. Havn't read the comic, only seen the film, which I didn't really like.

Is the film a proper representation of the book?? I know the comic has a relationship between jack the ripper and the elephant man (missing from the film) but apart from that I don't know much about the comic orther than the artwork.

General concensus that I'm aware of is that the film butchered (har har) the comic. I'd love to get the comic, but I'm still unsure about paying 40 euro for something I might not read more than once...

Yeah 40 euros is quite steep. I don't like the artwork in it so I'll probably go for one of Alan Moore's other books like watchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Conan (Dark Horse)

Contemplate this on the tree of woe

I bought "Summer Blonde" by Adrian Tomine yesterday. It's pretty cool - similar to Daniel Clowes' stuff.

• Advertisement

Just picked up the first issue of Havoc 21 - the comic by Wolfman Productions mentioned in the "Irish Comics" thread. It's pretty cool reading - first story in particular has good artwork and a matching story. I'd say take a look if you see it around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

moggie wrote:
    Hauled out the old Preachers there recently
    still class, few touch them fer sheer style

Me too, Forgot how much i loved reading them back when i was 16/17. Funny, filthy, action packed and touching. Cant get better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Funny, filthy, action - old Heavy Metal issues

forgot to post about this before, but now that DC have picked up the rights to push stuff from the Humanoids label, Metal Hurlant (someis now easily available - Other Realms has #12 stocked (the current issue), and I imagine Forbidden Planet/Sub City should do too. It's a neat combination of short comics (or excerpts from full comics) and general info about the comics world.

Also picked up Redeye #2, a UK magazine about the underground/self-published comic scene. It doesn't really feature enough comic samples to be called a comic, but it's interesting to read.

Picked up a trade called "Tales Of Ordinary Madness" on Dark Horse - quite good, about a psychiatrist who finds himself unable to maintain an emotional and intellectual barrier between himself and the patients he's supposed to be treating.

Aside from that, I've been re-reading the first volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Kevin O'Neill's artwork is just excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Fysh wrote:
    I'd love to get the comic, but I'm still unsure about paying 40 euro for something I might not read more than once...

It is available from mile high for 28.22EU.That includes the $9.50 shipping charge(you can add a load of comics to the order and still pay the same shipping price).

G

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Marvel Visionaries - Walt Simpson (#3)

Thor as a frog...a panic! Simpson is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

moggie wrote:
    sin city really compliments James Elroy and Elmore Leonard
    great stuff
    but you wouldn't have it everyday

I think Watchmen gleams a little from Ellroy and Leonard, certainly with Rorschachs 'mother' fixation and understated badass respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Read Ultimate Spiderman and Xmen over the weekend thanks to bit torrent and have to say I was impressed with what they have done with the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Reading "New X-men Vol.1". Grant Morrison's early take on the mutant gang. Pretty much missed it on its initial run but have always loved what Morrison did on "Zenith" so looking forward to it muchly.

• Advertisement

Just picked up "Transmetropolitan : Tales of human waste" and "League of extraordinary gentlemen vol 2" in paperback, for 25 euro between them. Made a start on LOEG2 over lunch and it's looking pretty damn good - the artwork is still excellent, and having read some of the books that Moore draws characters from or references, the story just gets better and better.

The transmet book isn't another storyline - it's a collection of promo work done before the comic started, a series of articles ostensibly written by Spider Jerusalem, along with artwork by a bunch of different artists. Given that my interest in Transmet is based more on the world in which the comic happens than on Spider's antics, this seems an interesting choice - probably won't be of much interest to anyone who isn't at least keenly interested in the comic. I'll post more on this once I've read it.

While on the topic of reading....I've recently been looking over a few Hellblazer single issues...particularly the story about the Newcastle incident and John's revenge on Nergal, but also the Fear Machine story arc. Why in the hell the second collection moved straight onto Garth Ennis' stuff rather than consisting of issues #10-#21 is just beyond me. However, there's rumours of a collection of Delano stories before the horrific abortion that will be the movie comes out, so maybe something good might come from the movie version after all...

Advertisement