Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.NET in MonoDev on Ubuntu

• 20-03-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

It might seem a little whacky but I'm trying to develop an .NET project on Ubuntu, instead of Windows.

I'm using MonoDevelop to develop it, but I've come into some difficulty. With a normal apache/xampp setup, I can create a folder in www/htdocs, which can then be accessed from the browser through localhost/<<foldername>>. This makes sense. And from windows is very easy to manage but becomes a little tricky in linux due to permission. I'd prefere not to give permissions on the var folder to the user, and would like to know how the ins and outs of this type of configuration. Would be nice also to be able to access the same from the local network, i.e. a seperate machine.

How can I point the browser to a folder from the users home drive (e.g. ~/public_html) instead of var/www, and also complete this action while still maintaining mono .NET functionality?

Also can anyone recommend a good tutorial for monodev and general web dev with linux?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

There seems to be very little online. I've had some success with single standalone files, with C# scripts being internal. But anything outside of this throws up errors. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

There seems to be very little online. I've had some success with single standalone files, with C# scripts being internal. But anything outside of this throws up errors. Any ideas?

This is not a direct answer to your question. But whats the motivating factors for doing .NET on linux? What I'm getting at is that it really needs to be an extremely motivating reason to subject yourself to such a horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

ChRoMe wrote: »
    This is not a direct answer to your question. But whats the motivating factors for doing .NET on linux? What I'm getting at is that it really needs to be an extremely motivating reason to subject yourself to such a horror.

I've been using windows, and windows only pretty much since I left school. I had worked in development before about 10 years ago (again windows based) and I'm currently in year 3 of an hons degree in computing (again all windows based).

It dawned on me that when I finally get my degree I will have little or no linux experience. I have put a linux distro on all my machines bar an old laptop which I am currently using for a .NET project in college. It has to be .NET and this is the only reason why its still running windows. Over the course of the next 2 years I wan't to get some experience developing and working with linux, and I've always found the best way to learn is the deep end.

But yeah you're right...absolutely horrific! I think I may just abandon the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I've been using windows, and windows only pretty much since I left school. I had worked in development before about 10 years ago (again windows based) and I'm currently in year 3 of an hons degree in computing (again all windows based).

It dawned on me that when I finally get my degree I will have little or no linux experience. I have put a linux distro on all my machines bar an old laptop which I am currently using for a .NET project in college. It has to be .NET and this is the only reason why its still running windows. Over the course of the next 2 years I wan't to get some experience developing and working with linux, and I've always found the best way to learn is the deep end.

But yeah you're right...absolutely horrific! I think I may just abandon the idea.

Your intentions are good, but I think your approach to learning how to "develop and work with linux" is, IMHO, a bit nonsensical. .NET is first and foremost a Windows technology, and any support that there is for it on linux will (as you have found) lag significantly, and of all things it tends to have much less of a community than other facets of Linux.

With that being the case, I would suggest you look at a more native option (C/C++) or at the very least a more true cross-platform option like Java. Obviously this is no good in your current project, but there will genuinely be a limit to how much use you may get out of this experience from an employment perspective.

I also wouldn't let the lack of having worked directly in Linux put you off too much in the first place. The company I work for provides software written in Java that the majority of clients install on Solaris or Red Hat, but all the dev is done on Windows, with other OSes brought in during the test phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Those other IDEs are rubbish compared to VS2012.

As other posters have said, developing .net on linux is a bizarre way to learn linux. Sounds like you are using it for web development too, which is even more bizarre. Learn javascript or python or ruby instead.

What you are doing now is basically unsupported, you miss all the nice microsoft tools etc for .net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'm in the same boat in terms of having very little Linux knowledge due to working with a Microsoft stack. As a developer I feel a bit out of the loop not using Linux regularly. I haven't really put much time into Linux but have made a few changes in work and at home and plan to build something web based using Linux over the next few months. For me I expect to go the python or node.js root with whatever I build.

Currently what I've done to improve my Linux knowledge was to install Mint on my home laptop so now everything I do at home requires me to do it on a Linux box. On my work environment I changed the way I develop to be a bit more Linuxy. I started using the VsVim plugin in Visual Studio and am now pretty comfortable in Vim which is a staple tool on Linux. I also started using cygwin so now instead of Cmd Prompt or PowerShell I now have a Linux based command line on Windows. Both small changes have actually improved my productivity both on my work and home environment.

At the start I looked at doing some Mono development on Linux but I got as far as installing Eclipse and decided that .Net wasn't for me without the use of Visual Studio which from my experience is the best of the heavy weight IDE's. From what I see anyone using Mono on Linux gets a kick out of developing in "Hard mode".

Advertisement