Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lions 2013 players impressing at RWC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blackandblue42

I would say based on form:

15 Rob Kearney
    14 George North
    13 Jonathan Davies
    12 Owen Farrell
    11 Leigh Halfpenny

10 Jonny Sexton
    9 Mike Phillips

1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best
    3 Mike Ross
    4 Richie Gray
    5 Courtney Lawes
    6 Stephen Ferris
    7 Sam Warburton
    8 Jamie Heaslip

No way Sexton on form, who is lucky to be in the Ireland team imo. Priestland would be much better. Also Jamie Roberts has to be ahead of Owen Farrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 WillySignaigo

I would say based on form:

15 Rob Kearney
    14 George North
    13 Jonathan Davies
    12 Owen Farrell
    11 Leigh Halfpenny

10 Jonny Sexton
    9 Mike Phillips

1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best
    3 Mike Ross
    4 Richie Gray
    5 Courtney Lawes
    6 Stephen Ferris
    7 Sam Warburton
    8 Jamie Heaslip

No way Sexton on form, who is lucky to be in the Ireland team imo. Priestland would be much better. Also Jamie Roberts has to be ahead of Owen Farrell.

Don't think Priestland is that great, Good footballer, but not the finished article. Roberts is a one trick pony in my opinion, Farrell probably not my best choice, with Tuilagi and O'Driscoll to come back, one of those two, Roberts plays outstandingly with BOD outside him so there is potential for a repeat of '09, with Gatland at the helm especially. Sexton will come good, IMO Madigan should be playing 10 for Leinster with Sexton at 12. That builds for the future, look at the Welsh system, and how well they're doing. .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think that Foden and Ashton are having dreadful seasons. Foden had a howler against Italy and Ashton is another league convert that does well for a season then fades slowly, like Vainikolo a few years back, Luscombe for Wales even further back. Wales are just the form team at the moment on both their performances.

Ashton needs to get his head screwed back on and get some gametime. He's been banned, then was fighting with his club, and had to deal with alot of stick after the RWC. I personally think he is a great player who works very hard for his team. He's also got 4 tries in 9 games for Northampton this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

This is my prediction.

15. Halfpenny
    14. Ashton
    13. BOD
    12. Roberts
    11. North
    10. Sexton
    9. Phillipps
    1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. A. Jones
    4. Gray
    5. Lawes
    6. Ferris
    7. warburton
    8. Faletau

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

cgpg5 wrote: »
    This is my prediction.

15. Halfpenny Kearney/Foden
    14. Ashton
    13. BOD
    12. Roberts
    11. North
    10. Sexton Priestland
    9. Phillipps
    1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. A. Jones
    4. Gray
    5. Lawes POC
    6. Ferris
    7. warburton
    8. Faletau Heaslip

My own amendments !

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that feels that Foden is very over-rated, personally I'd have Brown ahead of him for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

My pred
    1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Jones
    4. Lawes
    5. O'Connell
    6. Ferris
    7. Waburton
    8. O'Brien
    9. Phillips
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Roberts
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Visser
    15. Foden

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that feels that Foden is very over-rated, personally I'd have Brown ahead of him for England.

I think he is the best full-back in Europe. Unfortunately he had a rare howler against Italy, but his defense is as awesome as his work-rate, and he does something very few players do. He carries the ball in two hands, and as a result he makes breaks. He's unfortunate in that the players around him aren't of a similar standard, he deserves a lot more silver-ware than he has.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hagz wrote: »
    I think he is the best full-back in Europe. Unfortunately he had a rare howler against Italy, but his defense is as awesome as his work-rate, and he does something very few players do. He carries the ball in two hands, and as a result he makes breaks. He's unfortunate in that the players around him aren't of a similar standard, he deserves a lot more silver-ware than he has.

He was caught out pretty bad in defence in the RWC against France.

I've rarely seen him break the first tackle when counter attacking from deep though, I'd nearly be tempted to see how he would be out on the wing, with Brown (the better attacker from deep) at full-back. Strettle is good at finding room in tight spaces but that's about it, he's far from being a complete winger, I'd be tempted to see how Foden is on the wing.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He was caught out pretty bad in defence in the RWC against France.

Kearney and Medard are the only ones who are close to him IMO. Kearney is finding form again that would suggest he's back to his best, but I don't think he has the counter-attacking ability of Foden. Medard is pure class but I don't think he has the same work-rate as Foden.

Totally my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 WillySignaigo

My pred
    1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Jones
    4. Lawes
    5. O'Connell
    6. Ferris
    7. Waburton
    8. O'Brien
    9. Phillips
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Roberts
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Visser
    15. Foden

Visser? Is he eligible for Scotland by then?

Visser? Is he eligible for Scotland by then?

Yeh, he's eligible by June this year.

Yeh, he's eligible by June this year.

Does this mean... Scotland may actually score a few tries next year :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Roberts/BOD would be my choice.

If he is planning to retire after that tour, I would not like to be the man trying to keep him out of that team. I think it might be his finest hour.

Especially if he's named captain.

Its hard to write BOD off. Last time he was playing fairly average before the 6N's in 2009 but suddenly hit form in feb 09 and was awesome on the Lions Tour. I think Gatland would love to have him fully fit in 2013. But 4 years older and body much more battered its hard to see him hitting the same heights again. That said the normal rules don't seem to apply to BOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fodens a great broken field runner and probably a better defender than Kearney but I think Robs ariel abilities set him apart from any other 15 in the NH

OH is a tough one. Priestland while no doubt a good 10 still has many frailties. Farrell will probably not be ready. Will likely be Sexton if he keeps up current form but as we know he's not the best of goal kickers. Could Halfpenny be selected at full back just for his goal-kicking ability? (Like Chris Paterson was for years at Scotland). Neil Jenkins, starting at 15 in 97 is another example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think Ross Rennie is a fantastic player and is in with a good shout of nabbing the 7 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Am I the only one that thinks Sexton is much better than Priestland? I know he was class in the WC, but I really don't think he does anything that Sexton doesn't do. And people saying Sexton's goalkicking is bad...it's really not. He has had bad days with the boot, yes, but so has Priestland. In fact, Priestland's has been so bad, he's lost kicking duties for Wales.

Its hard to write BOD off. Last time he was playing fairly average before the 6N's in 2009 but suddenly hit form in feb 09 and was awesome on the Lions Tour. I think Gatland would love to have him fully fit in 2013. But 4 years older and body much more battered its hard to see him hitting the same heights again. That said the normal rules don't seem to apply to BOD.

The Lions tour is next season and considering BOD is now out injured and recuperating I think it's safe to say he will be fresh next season. All the knocks and niggles he's had will hopefully be on the mend at the moment. As long as his surgery is a success and he has no relapses I can see him having a great season next season. For all the other centres in the mix for the Lions most of them are better at 12 than 13.
    Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Fodens a great broken field runner and probably a better defender than Kearney but I think Robs ariel abilities set him apart from any other 15 in the NH

I can't see the Aussies really putting much up and unders to be honest. In all fairness Halfpenny is handy enough under the high ball as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Sexton is much better than Priestland? I know he was class in the WC, but I really don't think he does anything that Sexton doesn't do. And people saying Sexton's goalkicking is bad...it's really not. He has had bad days with the boot, yes, but so has Priestland. In fact, Priestland's has been so bad, he's lost kicking duties for Wales.

No. Sexton is simply a better player.

If he has any goal kicking issues then it shouldn't matter much as the Lions could well have another kicker in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

One thing that's for sure is that the Lions will have a huge amount of depth. Plenty of brilliant players in most positions around the park. We saw what happened to Australia when they lost key men against us. Can see a 2-1 series win for the Lions. It will be interesting to see how Wales fare over three tests against Aus this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think it's a bit mad naming a potential team this far out, but the starting XV will I think come from the following:

Fullbacks - Kearney or Foden
    Wings - Bowe, Ashton, 1/2p, North, maybe Earls, that Hogg chap from Scotland could be a bolter
    Outside centre - Tuilagi, Davies, possibly BOD
    Inside centre - hard to see past Roberts here
    Outhalf - Sexton, Priestland. Both way ahead of Flood or any of the Scots imo
    Scrumhalf - Lot of competition here, Murray, Philips, Youngs, Simpson maybe, Cusiter
    No 8 - Felatua and Heaslip
    Openside - Warburton way ahead of the rest
    Blindside - Ferris, SOB, I'm pretty sure Croft will go but he's not remotely as good
    2nd row - POC, Gray, Lawes, Charteris, AWJ
    Tighthead - Cole, Adam Jones
    Hooker - Best, Ford, Hartley, Rees
    Loosehead - Healy, Jenkins

And I would imagine I've forgotten a few too. I think it could be a very strong squad that travels next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

danthefan wrote: »
    I think it's a bit mad naming a potential team this far out, but the starting XV will I think come from the following:

Fullbacks - Kearney or Foden
    Wings - Bowe, Ashton, 1/2p, North, maybe Earls, that Hogg chap from Scotland could be a bolter
    Outside centre - Tuilagi, Davies, possibly BOD
    Inside centre - hard to see past Roberts here
    Outhalf - Sexton, Priestland. Both way ahead of Flood or any of the Scots imo
    Scrumhalf - Lot of competition here, Murray, Philips, Youngs, Simpson maybe, Cusiter
    No 8 - Felatua and Heaslip
    Openside - Warburton way ahead of the rest
    Blindside - Ferris, SOB, I'm pretty sure Croft will go but he's not remotely as good
    2nd row - POC, Gray, Lawes, Charteris, AWJ
    Tighthead - Cole, Adam Jones
    Hooker - Best, Ford, Hartley, Rees
    Loosehead - Healy, Jenkins

And I would imagine I've forgotten a few too. I think it could be a very strong squad that travels next year.

On current form, Denton could well go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Hmm, I'd disagree here. I'm a big fan of Foden, one of the few English internationals I actually like, but his defense is questionable. I know Kearney has issues with his tackling technique, but for the most part is a pretty solid sweeper. Foden often makes brainfarts in defense, twice in their last game which resulted in two tries against England, and also during the WC which incidentally sent them home packing.

I'd probably say Foden is the better attacker. He's more of a danger runner for me, almost a winger with some extra skillsets enough to fit him at 15. Kearney is the equivalent of a goal keeper - extremely confident under high ball, awareness of space, and an evident urge to return the ball back towards the opposition by means of running the ball into contact (often his downfall imo).

I'd probably pick Kearney out of the two of them.. but in reality, if Wales win the GS and Gatland is the coach you can bet your money it'll be 1/2penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland's No. 8 David Denton squeeze in there too. He's looked very good this year.

I'd be fairly sure BOD will be there too. He'll be fully fit (hopefully) for the first time in years and be playing smashing rugby.

What ever happened to John Barcley? I know hes been on the bench for Scotland but he'd been their stand out player for a while and now hes behind Rennie. I know Rennie's good also but i though for sure Barcley would be a future Lion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

i'd reckon by then it will be

15. halfpenny
    14.visser
    13.bod
    12.roberts
    11.north
    10.sexton
    9.philips
    8.heaslip
    7.warburton
    6.sob
    5.lawes
    4.gray
    3.adam jones
    2.strauss
    1.cian healy

rugby planet and their own little comment on it too

xdf77m.jpg

Outside bet for O/H Danny Cipriani- joining Sale reportedly and if England are any use they'll select him in the summer the guy is a class act if he plays in the 6n next year and to his potential he'll surely be on the plane. O/H is potentialy a weak position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭twinytwo

wonton wrote: »
    i'd reckon by then it will be

15. halfpenny
    14.visser
    13.bod
    12.roberts
    11.north
    10.sexton
    9.philips
    8.heaslip
    7.warburton
    6.sob
    5.lawes
    4.gray
    3.adam jones
    2.strauss
    1.cian healy

rugby planet and their own little comment on it too

xdf77m.jpg

That rugby planet team is never going to happen ... there wold be uproar not enough english players.... Its the same reason the likes of monye and flutey were taken last time.

can see the backline being

15 foden
    14bowe
    13bod
    12roberts
    11ashton
    10 sexton
    9 phillips/youngs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Wow I completely forgot Strauss would be eligible too..

On that, Best or Strauss will start for Ireland? Will they be the two fighting for hooker for the Lions?

Advertisement