Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic Ice Hockey?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

kmart6 wrote: »
    Why?! When the one's we have are struggling to stay open due to lack of business?!

Well, I can only speak for myself when I say that if there were a rink in Dublin I'd be using it on a weekly basis. Seeing as I don't drive, the trek to Dundalk on a regular basis is a bit much. You'd have to think that there'd be enough interest in a city the size of Dublin to maintain an ice rink. Dundalk has a population of 35000, Louth has a population of 110,000 - it's just not comparable to Dublin.

As for the final. Both teams were fantastic. Having been so average by his standards throughout the tournament, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that Crosby got the winner. Toews certainly did deliver on the big stage himself, and the future is bright for Canada! (Same goes for the Hawks if they hang onto him and Kane, who looked very dangerous today). Miller was fantastic throughout the tournament, and it's a shame he had to be on the loosing side.

Both sides deserve huge credit for their performances. Congratulations to Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Kudos to the fans of Vancouver.

If this was in Edmonton, you would have heard 'boos' for the USA National Anthem.

I am absolutely over the moon seeing Canada play the USA in the Final. I thought the O-ficiating was sub-standard at best in the game. The 1st USA goal was clearly offside. Obstruction/holding penalties were overlooked (clearly favouring Canada). McCleary was much quicker blowing the whistle for Luongo blowing the whistle freezing the puck (even when the puck was in sight - slow to blow in when it was frozen by Miller).

I said it earlier in a post (that without question) Ryan Miller (USA) and Jonathon Toews (Canada) were the two best players in the tournament.

Sidney Crosby may be the face of this current team, but Jonathon Toews is the future of Canadian Hockey.

Interesting. Wouldn't have thought I'd have seen that in Canada. Luongo was exceptional I thought. USA could have had a few more goals if it wasn't for him. It was the first full match I've watched, won't be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hello?

Kudos to the fans of Vancouver.

If this was in Edmonton, you would have heard 'boos' for the USA National Anthem.

I am absolutely over the moon seeing Canada play the USA in the Final. I thought the O-ficiating was sub-standard at best in the game. The 1st USA goal was clearly offside. Obstruction/holding penalties were overlooked (clearly favouring Canada). McCleary was much quicker blowing the whistle for Luongo blowing the whistle freezing the puck (even when the puck was in sight - slow to blow in when it was frozen by Miller).

Bill McCreary has been a ref in the NHL for about 20 years. He refereed the Salt Lake City Gold Medal game. He's experienced, tough and sometimes despised, but he isn't biased.

Yesterday's game was the best hockey we've seen in ages. It was fast, gritty, passionate and either team could have won. One of the reasons it was such a great game is because the refs let them play and only called the really obvious penalties. As for penalties not being called in Canada’s favour, I don't recall that at all. It seemed quite even for both teams. There were a few plays behind the puck which the US should have been called for but were not (crosschecking Dany Heatly into the US bench). Same for Canada. The difference in this game is that, for once, Canada played a disciplined game and didn't take stupid penalties. All in all, both teams were treated fairly. Referees are chosen long before the Gold Medal teams are decided. It was reported that both the US and Canada were happy to have Bill McCreary as the ref. The final could have been US vs Russia.

Edmonton fans would not boo the US national anthem. Last year, Montreal fans booed the US national anthem before a game against the Boston Bruins. This classless act was apparently in retaliation to Detroit fans for booing the Canadian anthem the previous week. Edmonton fans boo deserters (Chris Pronger) and whiners and all Calgary Flames players. There’s a huge rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary often referred to as the Battle of Alberta. Also, it wasn’t just Vancouver fans cheering the US team. That arena was packed with Canadians from all over the country including friends of mine from Toronto, Halifax and Edmonton. Not to mention people and Olympians from all over the world. It’s silly to think that only Vancouverites would attend the Olympic games. Hundreds of Calgarians took holidays in order to volunteer at the games. So comments like the ones about Edmonton and Vancouver are very misleading.

It was heartbreaking to watch the US receive their silver medals. They were the top team throughout the entire tournament with their consistent play. Ryan Miller did everything but stand on his head to keep his team in the game and to keep us to two goals for two periods. That’s why he was selected as the tournament MVP (Most Valuable Player).

And now, like most everyone, I am suffering Olympic withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

Crosby will never score a bigger goal in his life. He'd probably trade two Stanley Cups to be the guy to score the game winning goal against the US, in OT, in Canada.

Over 25 Million Canadians watching live, and a replay which will be shown for decades, defining a sporting generation. People who don't watch hockey, some who don't even watch sports will remember that goal and where they were.

2625456.bin?size=sw380nws

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cullend2

StevoTG wrote: »
    Well, I can only speak for myself when I say that if there were a rink in Dublin I'd be using it on a weekly basis. Seeing as I don't drive, the trek to Dundalk on a regular basis is a bit much.

you can get the 16/A bus to the airport, then the aircoach right to the door of the rink for €11 return if thats any use to ya... personally, once the summer comes and i have free weekdays im gonna hit the learn to play sessions up there as often as i can :)

and that USA - Canada game was amazing! glad the hosts won in the end though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Hello? wrote: »
    Edmonton fans would not boo the US national anthem. Last year, Montreal fans booed the US national anthem before a game against the Boston Bruins. This classless act was apparently in retaliation to Detroit fans for booing the Canadian anthem the previous week. Edmonton fans boo deserters (Chris Pronger) and whiners and all Calgary Flames players. There’s a huge rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary often referred to as the Battle of Alberta. Also, it wasn’t just Vancouver fans cheering the US team. That arena was packed with Canadians from all over the country including friends of mine from Toronto, Halifax and Edmonton. Not to mention people and Olympians from all over the world. It’s silly to think that only Vancouverites would attend the Olympic games. Hundreds of Calgarians took holidays in order to volunteer at the games. So comments like the ones about Edmonton and Vancouver are very misleading.

I remember quite well the Edmonton fans booing the US National Anthem when they were playing Dallas in the playoffs a few years ago.

I would not have made that comment if it had not already happened in the past. It was an off the cuff comment, that was not meant to demean everyone from Alberta, or more to the point Edmonton.

Advertisement