Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Car should I get

• 08-02-2016 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Howdy guys,

So, I never spend too much money on a car for myself (the wife gets a new family barge for safety and reliability) so I'm always on the look out for something cheap, but interesting.

Ive driven all sorts and currently drive an 04 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6

So you've guessed it, I don't mind having to do some work on the car.

Now I'm loving the Alfa, quick rack steering, revvy engine, leather interior.....all that jazz, but I'm getting restless so it might be time to have another look.

Here's where you come in, what would you recommend??

So here are my criteria:
    1.Under €2500 (2500 is absolute max....ABSOLUTE, or else its no fun)
    2.Petrol
    3.Under 2ltr
    4.Over 1.6ltr
    5.No older than 2004
    6.4 seats min please, don't care if its 2 or 4 door
    7.Not a convertible
    8.Interesting
    9.Not Japanese

My picks so far are:
    Skoda Octavia VRS
    Vectra GTS/SRI
    Alfa 156 1.8 or 2ltr
    Audi A4 1.8T (might have to break my no older than 2004 rule)
    Golf GTI 1.8T (Same as Audi A4)
    BMW 316 1.8 (really don't want another beemer, but if I have tooooo, 2004 at that price??)
    Passat 1.8T (don't really want another Passat either.....but its in the mix)
    Renault Clio 172 (cheeky, might not get one for €2500???)
    Skoda Fabia VRS (its diesel, and 1.9, but that engine in that little car....oh, and price is an issue)

Right yer turn peoples

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

If i had that list id go with the clio simply because you dont see many of them around. All other cars pretty common but that just my thoughts on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You've never mentioned reliability - so I would go for an Alfa.

It would, especially with the TS motors, get interesting every morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If you like cars, you probably won't like the Passat, epic dull, same as the A4. Can't see a good case for buyong the cheapest BMW available either and you're currently doing the Alfa thing, so the 156 might not re excite you, so to speak. Mk4 GTi is fairly uninspiring too, to say the least.

The Skodas are good calls but i'd say you'd struggle to get a Fabia in budget.

Audi TT should definitey be on that list.
    Few nice ZR 160's and ZT's on donedeal for that kind of money.
    Probably get into a Mk1 Focus ST too.

Not Japanese limits you a little, one or two options available that way if you get your head around whatever reason you don't like the Japanese as a blanket ban for.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

I couldn't give a stuff about reliability. Ha. I drive an alfa on purpose ffs ha ha.

Audi TT is out. Not a genuine 4 seater imo. Nice car though.

Ya, did the passat thing, a boat on wheels and boring. Still not ruled out.

Focus ST, now there's an idea, bit old maybe???, I forgot about Ford. I own a Mondeo so I dunno why ha.
    The MG's I cant warm to at all, shame as they are not bad (they like head gaskets though). They just seem to be out there, and I rather a sleeper car.

The jap blanket ban is there because ive never had fun in a jap car. Driven Imprezas and Evos and all the Hondas and I cant warm to them. No idea why, cant explain it. Nothing against them.

Other options ive seen

Polo GTI (rare as fook)
    106 gti (too old, so good, but my feet are too big)
    206 gti (just....not....gti enough. Had a 205 gti so that may have ruined me.
    Seat leon cupra. (same car as the octavia and golf really)

What am i missing????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Ford Mondeo ST?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Golf in a red I if you can get one in budget, it's a comfortable well built car that's able to make ground, had one about 10 years ago and I still don't think the interior or exterior looks dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Fiat coupe
    Lupo GTI

You're really limiting yourself for choice once you exclude all Japanese IMO...

Fiat coupe
    Lupo GTI
    Fiesta ST

The Golf in a red I if you can get one in budget, it's a comfortable well built car that's able to make ground, had one about 10 years ago and I still don't think the interior or exterior looks dated.

I wont have you ruin this thread with any talk of diesels unless its a Fabia ha ha.

I had a Passat with the 130pd engine in it.

job seeker wrote: »
    Fiat coupe
    Lupo GTI
    Fiesta ST

I LOVE the FIAT Coupe, so tempted to buy one recently, but all are older than 2004.

Lupo gti, rare as the polo gti, id love one. But a tad small. The 4 seater thing is down to me having to ferry the sprog around on occasion.

Fiesta ST, A genuine contender. Get one for under €2500???

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Ford Mondeo ST?

Like the 3.0ltr beast of a thing??? Ah ya, if this country didn't penalise anyone who wanted a nice car and wouldn't have to sell a kidney to tax it, id go for it.

Has to be under 2ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mini850 wrote: »
    I wont have you ruin this thread with any talk of diesels unless its a Fabia ha ha.

I had a Passat with the 130pd engine in it.

I'm not on about the diesel, the red i in the petrol version is 180bhp 6 speed as opposed to the 150bhp 5 speed in the normal Gti.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Volvo V70 2.0T..........yep, Ill drive an estate, no problem

I actually almost bought a Golf Estate once. It was really high spec and had the 1.8T 150bhp engine in it as standard.

I'm not on about the diesel, the red i in the petrol version is 180bhp 6 speed as opposed to the 150bhp 5 speed in the normal Gti.

You are forgiven. lol

Same engine as the Octavia VRS then???

yep, not ruling out the Passat. Really handles s4it though.

I LOVE the FIAT Coupe, so tempted to buy one recently, but all are older than 2004.

Lupo gti, rare as the polo gti, id love one. But a tad small. The 4 seater thing is down to me having to ferry the sprog around on occasion.

Fiesta ST, A genuine contender. Get one for under €2500???

Ya, older than 2004. But thought you'd make an acceptation. :p

job seeker wrote: »
    Ya, older than 2004. But thought you'd make an acceptation. :p

I would but anything older than 2001 and it becomes a bugger to insure. Beautiful car though. Id nearly buy an early model and keep it until it becomes classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Lupo Gti, Audi A4, Passat, Mondeo ST, 3 series, Alfa 156, Boy racer Clios, estate cars, Polos.

A very eclectic mix of cars being suggested, and being well received by OP, in this thread!

Wonder what OP will end up with. My money is on a luxobarge having scrapped the 2004 restriction. I'll guess Audi A8.

Good discussion so far

Like the 3.0ltr beast of a thing??? Ah ya, if this country didn't penalise anyone who wanted a nice car and wouldn't have to sell a kidney to tax it, id go for it.

Has to be under 2ltr

Not exactly fitting the bill but there is a 2.2l Diesel Mondeo ST

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-st-220-tdci/11232332

I'll try find something more fitting with the budget and requirements

I reckon the b5.5 Passat, it's the conformist option.

• Advertisement

bmwguy wrote: »
    Lupo Gti, Audi A4, Passat, Mondeo ST, 3 series, Alfa 156, Boy racer Clios, estate cars, Polos.

A very eclectic mix of cars being suggested, and being well received by OP, in this thread!

Wonder what OP will end up with. My money is on a luxobarge having scrapped the 2004 restriction. I'll guess Audi A8.

Good discussion so far

We taking bets??? ha ha

I like cars and have no preference to any make. Have had everything from the old classic minis up to relatively new BMWs. Wish I could get over my lack of attraction to Jap stuff as some of them are fuppin brill cars. Like RX8's are starting to come into handy money, Honda Prelude and Accords are brill. Lexus do some decent stuff, but they dont excite me. They feel sterile or something. (one exception, but its out of price range and a two seater is the S2000 Honda.....what a car) The Alfa, for all its downfalls (reliability, not that fast, heavy, high maintenance) excites me. The morning commute is like a play time. So what I really want is the 147 GTA with the 6 cylinder engine...........but.......you know.............

Now you may say that some of my suggestions are not exciting. They are not, but they are interesting in some way (to me). They have something that will keep me happy

Audi A8.........can they be got in 2ltr???

Not exactly fitting the bill but there is a 2.2l Diesel Mondeo ST

I'll try find something more fitting with the budget and requirements

Thats a nice looking car, meaty.........but If I want to drive a torquey Diesel, Ill take the Family barge out for a spin.

Keep her revvy petrol guys.

I reckon the b5.5 Passat, it's the conformist option.

See it is an option, but I've had one........that marks it down.

Volvo S40 T4

Hmmm.......theres an option................not with an auto box though

Saab 95 Linear Sport 2T

Saab.........always liked em. How are they for parts these days???

See it is an option, but I've had one........that marks it down.

But you keep saying you want something interesting, fun, with a revvy petrol, it's none of those things and if you think japanese cars have a sterile interior the Passat s, not one to talk...

I think, genuinely, if you are serious about wanting a fun car with a €2.5k upper budget, you either really need to include japs or drop the no older than 04 rule. Otherwise you will end up in something cat.

Saab.........always liked em. How are they for parts these days???

No issues AFAIK. That's a facelift 95 and it doesn't suffer from the engine oil sludge issues. I'd also imagine there is wiggle room in the price. They're well able to go but the handling is definitely more comfort orientated. Best thing would be to drive one and see.

But you keep saying you want something interesting, fun, with a revvy petrol, it's none of those things and if you think japanese cars have a sterile interior the Passat s, not one to talk...

I think, genuinely, if you are serious about wanting a fun car with a €2.5k upper budget, you either really need to include japs or drop the no older than 04 rule. Otherwise you will end up in something cat.

When I say revvy, I mean not a 4000rpm rev limit from a diesel ha.

Ok, so far, I think the Golf GTI or Skoda Octavia VRS are front runners. 150-180 reliable BHP with an option of remapping (not a fan of it unless done right)

So given I'm into sleeper cars that don't scream "look at me, I'm very fast", what Jap car would you suggest that would give me the same bang for my buck??

• Advertisement

When I say revvy, I mean not a 4000rpm rev limit from a diesel ha. And when I said sterile, I meant the feeling I got, rather than just the interior.

Ok, so far, I think the Golf GTI or Skoda Octavia VRS are front runners. 150-180 reliable BHP with an option of remapping (not a fan of it unless done right)

So given I'm into sleeper cars that don't scream "look at me, I'm very fast", what Jap car would you suggest that would give me the same bang for my buck??

Advertisement