Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

• 22-02-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Does anyone know if the new BT sports channels due to be launched on sky in july will be made available to subscribers in ROI?
    IT has been widely rumoured that ESPN may shut down their UK channel sometime later & if we do not get the new BT sports channels we would be likely to lose access to quite an amount of sports coverage.
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Good question I would suggest you post it to the BT Ireland Twittec a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭swoofer

if its on sky we will get it so no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    if its on sky we will get it so no worries
    I should point out when I said Sky I meant on satellite, Remember Premier Sports is on Sky but is not available here, it is further worth noting that the award of premier league rights to BT are so far for UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

energy1942 wrote: »
    I should point out when I said Sky I meant on satellite, Remember Premier Sports is on Sky but is not available here, it is further worth noting that the award of premier league rights to BT are so far for UK only.

Imagine if BT didnt bid for the Irish rights who would get them?

Doesnt Sky have an agreement with BT with the broadband over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Who got the Irish/international rights for Saturday games? Hopefully not Selatanta....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭mike2084

Irish rights have not been announced yet - big discussion here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056576464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Premierleague.com news section has an updating summary of rights winners here. Irish rights yet to be awarded.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The answer I suspect will lie in whether they are awarded the mirror Irish rights to the games they have acquired for the UK (which going on past Premier League form I expect they will be, but one never knows). If they do get those rights I'd be certain they will operate in Ireland too. If however they go to another party then the answer is probably not.

I'd hate to see them not operating here - if their rumoured acquisition of ESPN UK proceeds they will pick up the Irish rights to a number of competitions and were they not to operate here these rights may go into limbo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2013/0225/369514-bt-acquires-espn-uk-ireland-business/

I wonder if we'll continue to get the ESPN/BT switchover stuff free? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

Don't want to change the subject too much but if ESPN goes I will be gutted I enjoy their America channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mark_79 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2013/0225/369514-bt-acquires-espn-uk-ireland-business/

I wonder if we'll continue to get the ESPN/BT switchover stuff free? :rolleyes:

More on it here, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21577676

ESPN Classic is to be wound down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-group-acquires-espns-uk-and-ireland-television-channels-business/?s_intcid=con_intban_BTSport_BTLife_PR250213

Along with the rights they've already bought up, they seem to be really making a go at being a viable rival to Sky. I wonder how much their subscription will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

This is terrible news. I enjoyed watching Bundesliga games at the weekend...
    Will BT be available on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    This is terrible news. I enjoyed watching Bundesliga games at the weekend...
    Will BT be available on sky?

That was asked at the bottom of the linked page. No answer, though. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yes all ready on Sky & will be on cable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

It's on the RTE Aertel Business News tonight, that BT have acquired the Irish rights to whatever sports events, ESPN have for Ireland. Sorry, not able to show link to the Aertel page.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Source

MOD EDIT:Sorry, for copyright reasons we cannot allow entire articles to be reproduced verbatim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭webpal

Might sound like an obvious question but does this mean there would be 3 satellite tv providers? Sky, bt and UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

webpal wrote: »
    Might sound like an obvious question but does this mean there would be 3 satellite tv providers? Sky, bt and UPC?

UPC are a cable and mmds tv provider.

Another question will be will BT block the Europa games to Ireland like ESPN does presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UPC are a cable and mmds tv provider.

Another question will be will BT block the Europa games to Ireland like ESPN does presently.
    They won't have a choice, 3e own the Irish rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

BT & SKY secure live rights to Premier league for the next seasons, no news yet about 3pm kick offs.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2012-13/feb/bksyb-and-BT-acquire-premier-league-rights-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭swoofer

setanta should get the 3pms as normal. Cant see anyone else interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    setanta should get the 3pms as normal. Cant see anyone else interested.
    Big fear might be that the Premier League have totally scrapped the 3pm rights for Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    Big fear might be that the Premier League have totally scrapped the 3pm rights for Ireland...

True. If they were available then I am surprised that they wouldn't announce the 3pm rights with the others. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

irishfeen wrote: »

maybe as the rumour going around is that the same match will be broadcast all over Europe at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

If ESPN goes and there is no replacement Ill definately be switching to Sky. I knwo its not UPCs fault but they really need to come up with something good to replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If ESPN goes and there is no replacement Ill definately be switching to Sky. I knwo its not UPCs fault but they really need to come up with something good to replace it
    There's no reason why the new BT/ESPN channels won't be on UPC. They'll be subscription channels but they'll be that way on Sky too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved and merged threads - we might keep this for BT Sport queries across all platforms. The general Premier League thread can be used to discuss Setanta/Sky etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭webpal

There's no reason why the new BT/ESPN channels won't be on UPC. They'll be subscription channels but they'll be that way on Sky too

I'm still confused. Will bt be on sky/UPC or are they another satellite provider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They will be sport channels like Sky Sports. I have no doubt they will appear on both Sky and UPC

Advertisement