Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

whats titanium backup jarren? oh i didn't realise that. i don't know much about rooting etc and don't want to mess around with it. thanks for answering. its just annoying when i'm getting updates etc for stuff i want rid of.

jeez thats looks all a bit too high tech for me. ok so now i know i'm stuck with it unless i look into this rooting thing. thanks for reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

apache wrote: »
    jeez thats looks all a bit too high tech for me. ok so now i know i'm stuck with it unless i look into this rooting thing. thanks for reply.

If you have a few you don't ever use, just create a folder and stick all the crap in the folder. Tidies things up a bit.

Oh, and to answer a question no one has asked, using Slim Bean at the moment and loving it, great to have Jelly Bean and love the way it makes the screen look so much bigger with the adjustable dpi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Just an FYI for anyone who's trying CM10.1, I installed the 31/12/12 build and it has been extremely stable - not a single crash since Monday, no application issues - probably the best build I've installed since rooting as I usually got around 1 crash per day with every single other build. It's still early days but this one is going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Stock Samsung/AOKP JB hybrid Chameleon ROM has it's AOKP beta version out:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600

I haven't tried it yet, I'm using a modified Samsung stock with toggles/multi-window features (like on the Galaxy Note II)
    It's called Armageddon ROM, (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1650293) but I think I'll replace it with Chameleon as the DPI is a bit big for me and I prefer the AOKP apps to Samsungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I wish I had a clue how to root my phone etc, my phone crashes at least 8 times a day!

nbar12 wrote: »
    I wish I had a clue how to root my phone etc, my phone crashes at least 8 times a day!

These are the instructions I followed;

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s2/

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-hacks/how-to-install-rom-on-galaxy-s2/

You also need the specific ROM, and as I mentioned earlier the CM10.1 Nightly from the 31st of December is excellent.

Here's a direct download;

http://www.get.cm/get/jenkins/16618/cm-10.1-20121231-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip

I think this thread is mostly for the hi tec end of things but wanted to ask a question.

I recently got an SD card for my Samsung Galaxy 2 to free up a bit of space etc. I wanted to move aps onto it which I figured out.

I moved my HD wallpaper onto it and when i turn the phone off and turn it back on I am always left with the default wallpaper. I have to go into settings and change it everytime. Its no big deal but would be great if I could sort it.

I moved the wallpaper back to the phone memory with no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Anyone successfully updated to the latest 3.1.3 version of Ressurection Remix?

I've tried 3 times now but each time I get stuck in a boot-loop. Getting fed up now and considering abandoning RR for something else.

• Advertisement

apache wrote: »
    I think this thread is mostly for the hi tec end of things but wanted to ask a question.

I recently got an SD card for my Samsung Galaxy 2 to free up a bit of space etc. I wanted to move aps onto it which I figured out.

I moved my HD wallpaper onto it and when i turn the phone off and turn it back on I am always left with the default wallpaper. I have to go into settings and change it everytime. Its no big deal but would be great if I could sort it.

I moved the wallpaper back to the phone memory with no success.

I asked them in fonemenders about it. They said when you move a file it changes. I deleted the wallpaper and downloaded it again. It saved straight to the SD card so no joy again. Is there a way you can filter what gets saved where?

This used to work before I got an SD card. I need it saved on the phone memory for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

my cm10.1 nightly is a disaster its chewing through the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I know this thread is most about ROM's, but has anyone tried replacing a screen?

For the first time in over 3 years with a smartphone, and many years before that with a dumbphones, I've come a cropper. Dropped it last night, and cracked in inner screen.

Might have a crack (ha, geddit?!) at replacing it myself.

irishgeo wrote: »

Which one are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Can anyone please help?? I have just spent the last two hours trying to get my new father in laws Samsung S2 to play music. As an iPhone user myself I am not great with Samsung. He wants nothing fancy just some music.

I got some music onto the phone and it appears in his music app but when you press play it just starts "spooling" with " acquiring licence" on the screen.

We then have to reboot the phone to get rid of it. Have cleared deleted reinstalled etc to no effect and have spent two hours looking for an answer on Internet but no success. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Could it be that its itunes bought music? As far as I know you cant transfer it?? Although I could be completely wrong on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Mc Love wrote: »
    Could it be that its itunes bought music? As far as I know you cant transfer it?? Although I could be completely wrong on that one
    Oh maybe that could be it. Might try a way around it next time I visit. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Top Dog wrote: »
    Anyone successfully updated to the latest 3.1.3 version of Ressurection Remix?

I've tried 3 times now but each time I get stuck in a boot-loop. Getting fed up now and considering abandoning RR for something else.

I'm on it but finding it very buggy. It keeps deleting all my messages randomly and removing the english dictionary out of swiftkey3 when typing. There have been random freezes in it also. Have never been on a version of RR so buggy tbh. Keep away for now.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    The Stock Samsung/AOKP JB hybrid Chameleon ROM has it's AOKP beta version out:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600
    So I've been on this for a few days now, nice clean ROM if you like AOKP features and still want HDMI out or FM Radio app.

Working Siyah kernel can be found in this post, flash after the ROM (comes with Philz kernel):
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=36290370&postcount=4011
    polydactyl wrote: »
    Can anyone please help?? I have just spent the last two hours trying to get my new father in laws Samsung S2 to play music. As an iPhone user myself I am not great with Samsung. He wants nothing fancy just some music.

I got some music onto the phone and it appears in his music app but when you press play it just starts "spooling" with " acquiring licence" on the screen.

We then have to reboot the phone to get rid of it. Have cleared deleted reinstalled etc to no effect and have spent two hours looking for an answer on Internet but no success. Any help would be much appreciated.
    There are some apps that do this, the free ones I think are DoubleTwist or Easy Phone Tunes:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.easyphonetunes.android.app

It may only work for non-DRM iTunes tracks, not sure as I don't use it.

pedatron wrote: »
    I'm on it but finding it very buggy. It keeps deleting all my messages randomly and removing the english dictionary out of swiftkey3 when typing. There have been random freezes in it also. Have never been on a version of RR so buggy tbh. Keep away for now.
    Thanks for the warning. I got so fed up the other day that I restored to whatever ROM I was running back in May! :eek: Gone from JB back to ICS, but at least my Navigation is back working again. Would rarely work since I went to RR, even though the other 3 GPS-based app's had no problem finding my location :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Thanks for the warning. I got so fed up the other day that I restored to whatever ROM I was running back in May! :eek: Gone from JB back to ICS, but at least my Navigation is back working again. Would rarely work since I went to RR, even though the other 3 GPS-based app's had no problem finding my location :rolleyes:

The 4.2 skin and features are lovely and the rom promises a lot but the basics are letting it down here. Hoping for a patch soon!

I'll keep watching, but I think that for now I'll stick with the stable ROM for a bit. I only changed to RR in the first place because of the praise it was getting for battery life rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lawros Tache

I'll keep watching, but I think that for now I'll stick with the stable ROM for a bit. I only changed to RR in the first place because of the praise it was getting for battery life rather than anything else.

Had the same issues as yourself with latest RR, up to then had found it brilliant.

Downloaded the latest Omega about a week ago though and find it very stable, good battery life and excellent features.

Would recommend over RR at the moment and will definitely get you out until RR is stable.

Omega? Not heard that mentioned on here before - any links?

I downloaded the CM Nightly as recommended further up the thread, but I've left it in my downloads folder for the past couple of days as I dunno if I can be bothered having to set up another rom just yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

irishgeo wrote: »

Same for me. Have to change batteries at least twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Omega? Not heard that mentioned on here before - any links?

Give it a try, obviously i have no affiliation but like yourself had been very happy with RR then just lost patience with latest stability issues.
    Requires a factory wipe (from boot menu) so backup anything that google doesn't (but i'm sure you're well used to this if using roms).

Extremely stable on my phone, decent battery life (about 12 hours heavy usage incl calls, txts, twitter, apps & internet - 2 days if just using to make/receive calls/txts) and some nice features.
    Only been using a week but easily my favourite rom so far and i had been solid RR user for about a year.

Latest version is v17

Omega Rom Thread & Download Link

Requires a factory wipe (from boot menu) so backup anything that google doesn't (but i'm sure you're well used to this if using roms).
    I used to be, until RR made it too simple to update with the Update Now app. :o So I went and lost 6 months worth of fuel logging and text messages when I encountered the 3.1.3 problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭north south east west

BopNiblets wrote: »
    So I've been on this for a few days now, nice clean ROM if you like AOKP features and still want HDMI out or FM Radio app.

I'm on CM 10.1 at the moment and absolutely love it bar one thing; the battery life is terrible compared to stock ICS using Siyah kernel. Whats the battery life like on Chameleon v3.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭G1032

polydactyl wrote: »

There are tonnes of music apps out there.
    He needs an internet connection the first time he opens the app in order to verify the licence.

Try Poweramp

• Advertisement

I'm on CM 10.1 at the moment and absolutely love it bar one thing; the battery life is terrible compared to stock ICS using Siyah kernel. Whats the battery life like on Chameleon v3.0?

It doesn't seem any worse than the last ROM I was on, Revolt JB, I think I was on Siyah v5 with that.
    I usually plug in my phone in work but I'll let it run down today see how many hours I get out of it, if I get 12-15h with normal use I'm happy enough.

Usually have Wifi, Data, GPS, Google Now and location services running, I browse a few times and play some music, read an eBook, I also have the BLN mod on too.

Advertisement