Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Lidl Bike Gear

• 15-12-2009 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11 walsh25

Hi All
    New to the cycling forum. Just bought a Trek 1.5 and am looking at getting some winter gear soon. I have been told by a friend that Aldi or Lidl do some general bike gear from time to time and that its not bad.
    My question is does anyone know if one might be coming up soon ?. How many time have they been on sale already ?.
    Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards
    Peter

Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The Aldo and Lidl gear come and go. Nothing at the moment. The stuff they sell is pretty poor quality though tbh. I don't think anyone would recommend you buy Aldi shorts. I reckon you can find better gear on Chainreactioncycles at competitive prices at the moment. Your bum is worth a good pair of shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 walsh25

hi Caroline
    Thanks for the reply. Ya i got a good pair of shorts from the local bike shop so no worries there. I will check out the website you mention but i am always weary of ordering items of clothing online.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aldi winter jackets and socks, lidl short and long sleeve cycling tops i find brilliant.

drove a 2 hour round trip to get an aldi cycling jackets and other winter gear

although lidl's last offer seemed very poor quality didnt buy any of it (it has definitely got worse)

i also have lidl mtb shoes (which i bought in orkney, scotland on holiday cos they didnt do them here)

shorts however i would buy brand makes, i find endura fs260 pro good compromise between price and performance

doubt they will have much until the summer gear in the spring though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As Caroline says, the stuff you can get online in the sales is a LOT better than the stuff in Lidl/Aldi. I got some stuff there when I was starting out and it is grand but honestly you can get much better nearly as cheap in a good online sale.

Both CRC and Wiggle have very generous return policies so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides their extended return policies every online retailer will take stuff back within 7 days (distance selling law.)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

i agree that shopping online is a good idea especially if you want good long lasting gear. for those starting out or are a skint student like myself the aldi cycling gear i reccomend on a low budget:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i bought some base layers etc on MandM direct , prices are unreal .

we have recived our orders with in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

jwshooter wrote: »
    i bought some base layers etc on MandM direct , prices are unreal .

we have recived our orders with in a few days.

yes me too. v happy with it.

Since we're at it. Penneys are selling baselayers thermals at the moment, and long underpants for men and women etc too. I bought a top, 8/10 wayyy big. Not sure how good they are ... probably not very good.

Yeah, Aldi clothes aren't fantastic but do the job. I use their long trousers for the winter but the padding is v. poor by itself. Gloves I've found are grand, as are the training jackets. No complaints about the socks either. Jerseys are a bit thin which can be good or bad depending on the day that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Got myself one of the red jackets from Lidl a few weeks ago the last time they had stuff. I find it excellent, great protection from the wind. I was out last night with just that on and a baselayer, along with tights. Can't fault it at all and for €14 you couldn't find better value !!
    Also agree with JWshooter re: M&M for baselayers. You'll get a good one for between €15-20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

When I bought my MTB last October there was cycling gear in Lidl and Aldi at that time, so I bought a chain, cycling gloves and cycling rainpants. Only a few months ago I bought a cycling jacket from Aldi and its still good.I would advise people to buy there if you are a beginner.. Some stuff I bought is lasting a good while and it didn't cost much either.

Also I took a look at MandM Direct's website and it looks really good, many stuff is cheap so from now on I'll buy some stuff from there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

yes me too. v happy with it.

Since we're at it. Penneys are selling baselayers thermals at the moment, and long underpants for men and women etc too. I bought a top, 8/10 wayyy big. Not sure how good they are ... probably not very good.

I bought a pair of baselayer shorts (for running, not cycling)from Penneys recently. No moisture wicking at all.

I'd take the stuff from lidl or aldi any day over these. I have a couple of jerseys from from both which are fine. I have a skullcap, overshoes and a softshell jacket from aldi which all do me fine but then I wouldn't cycle half as much as some of you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I've found the Aldi cycling gear (branded as 'Crane Sports') to be very good, especially for the price - jerseys, jackets and gloves are all comfy and have lasted well. Lidl gear isn't in the same league, don't think I bought anything the last time they had stock.

That said, for something where fit is crucial (like shorts) I'd go for something better. The DHB stuff from Wiggle (for example) is decent and still cheap.

Advertisement