Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek, worst designed ships

• 20-06-2003 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

what in your opinion is Star Treks, worst designed ships ?
    it can be from any race .

Example the USS Grissiom in star trek 3,granted it was a small Shipe, but it was far too lightly armed, and didnt even take any beating, it just blew up!

Romulan Bird of Prey, no warp drive?! who came up with that idea?! Granted it had the frist cloaking device, not a good idea.

Ferengi marauder,its never been one to stand up to much,but never seen the Ferengi in a major war, though if we did,i suspsect their Armed forces would preform poorly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

all the ships their are good for what they do.

the uss grissiom is a oberth class ship ....... she isnt a warship its a Science ship not designed to take a "beating" or have much weapion,s i bleave only 2 type 4 phazer.s and 25 photon torp,s

the bird of prey was a old design BUT its generaly excepted that they did have a warp core and scotty was just plain wrong more than likely able to go warp 1 or 2

the Ferengi marauder is nearly as powerful as a galaxy class ship but is used as a cargo mover/warship plus the ferengi arent into war.s (i bleave quark said the biggest most important battle in ferengi history was between 10-20 ferengi lol)

The worst ship,s in star trek are DS9 "freak ships" where they basicly stuck together old starfleet ship,s to come up with "new" one,s.It makes no sence at all to build ships like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Anyone notice the ships that look like the insignia of their empire?

Compare the Ferengi ships with the Ferengi insignia for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Im racking my brain trying to think of the name of it.. :confused: ..but Bev Crushers ship in All good things was pretty crappy looking. Like a big lollypop with warp engines. :D

captian bev ship was a medical ship ... a olympic class

she look,s like a modern daedalus class

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I gotta say... the Oberth-class ships are just silly in that there's no feasible way for a turbolift to get from the primary hull to the secondary hull. Unless you were to tilt it which is just downright nutty.

}:>

• Advertisement

their replaceing it with the nova class

and the turbolifts can go down the warp plyons i guess :confused:

Originally posted by bizmark
    and the turbolifts can go down the warp plyons i guess :confused:

Yeah but they're all slanty... I guess it could be fun tho.

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh slanty turbolifts not feasable? your kidding right?? Even from the first Enterprise you would have had Slanty Turbo lifts. Im sure they are in buildings around the world even today.. there would be little difference in going straight up as far as i know.. im not into physics but unless we are talking major G forces it should not even be noticed.

As for worst looking ship... Dunno... Have to agree about all those science and medical ships.

Anyway whats wrong with the Ferengi ship? AS far as i remember, most times the Enterprise D encountered them, they got their arse kicked.. sure there was a good reason like real weapons off line and using fake ones but not all the time. Picard even said their technology is the same level as the federation. the Ferengi dont war.. they just pay someone else to do it and get some profit from the leftovers.

Yes the ships can sometimes look like the emblems of the people... Klingon ships, Ferengi look like their logo. Even to some degree the federation ships!! Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the freedom class starships, with just one warp nacelle look fairly crap imo.

• Advertisement

The only slanty lifts I've ever seen are on the Eiffel tower. And anybody who's been there can confirm that they're a little awkward.

But I don't see how the turbolifts would operate in a slanted shaft. Real slanted lifts run on tracks whereas turbolifts run on magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Magnets huh... im reminded of a simposs Ep... Monorail!!

Anyway i still dont see why running on magnets would make a difference.. I mean they use a type of propulsion like Impulse do they not? They have to mostly be at an angle because Most of the Enterprise's were.. For instance to get to the bridge to engineering took 1 Turbolift, if it was not slanty then they would either have to get out and go to another one at some point OR maybe the turbolifts go both vertical and Horizontal.. its all so confusing..

um the turbolifts work on a tech we hae now called "electro-magnetic" technology just basicly big ass magnets pushing the car up down or side to side (as far as i know).So it really doesnt matter what angle the lift shaft,s i,d say.Though it would be slightly odd for the people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah saruman as far as i know the turbolift shafts are both horizontal and vertical i have maps somewhere (in the fact files or enterprise D blueprints but the scanner isn't installed i'm afraid)

a little info here
    http://www.ship2.fslife.co.uk/diagramtourbright.htm#turbolifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Originally posted by bizmark
    captian bev ship was a medical ship ... a olympic class

she look,s like a modern daedalus class

Worst Designed ship ever ever.............:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

they move in all directions - since the ship has artificial gravity maybe the lifts do too.... ( If the strut is at an angle of 45 degrees then the height of the lift can be 70% of the strut width and still be vertical ... )

Actually there are no lifts - it's all done by transporters .. ( you know people always asking ethical questions.. so they just tell everyone - it a lift...)

cheapest looking ship for the role it played was the original romulan war bird ...

Advertisement