Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Request: Design Patterns

Options
  • 26-07-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I'm currently getting my head around design patterns but I'm struggling to identify when they can be used.

I would really appreciate it if a few people here could post a few brief problems to which design patterns to be applied, but don't mention what pattern to use.

I can then go through these exercises as a means of getting more familiar with the patterns.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'm currently getting my head around design patterns but I'm struggling to identify when they can be used.

I would really appreciate it if a few people here could post a few brief problems to which design patterns to be applied, but don't mention what pattern to use.

I can then go through these exercises as a means of getting more familiar with the patterns.

Cheers.

Check out the Head First Design Patterns book by O'Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

What stage in your career are you at?

People try introduce design patterns to new programers, but honestly I think its often a waste of time. I'm not sure reading about design patterns is that valuable, until you've had the experience of inventing (and re-inventing and re-inventing) a couple yourself.

The GoF book is pretty terrible as a resource for new programmers to first encounter design patterns.
    I'd recommend this book instead: http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Explained-Perspective-Object-Oriented/dp/0321247140/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

but I'd also that caution 'design patterns' as a 'thing' are oft overused and overhyped. (Its a good idea of course, but people go overboard, get too caught up in designing from the template, rather than just making the right designs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Thanks. I'm not a new developer. I can code a workable solution to pretty much any problem that I've encountered within a typical business enterprise domain. I can develop solutions as Windows based application using the .NET framework or Java Swing, and I can develop web applications using Spring MVC.

I'm at the stage where I want to ensure I'm coding to good standard and not simply the "just get it working" mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Thanks. I'm not a new developer. I can code a workable solution to pretty much any problem that I've encountered within a typical business enterprise domain. I can develop solutions as Windows based application using the .NET framework or Java Swing, and I can develop web applications using Spring MVC.

I'm at the stage where I want to ensure I'm coding to good standard and not simply the "just get it working" mentally.

I'd read the usual suspects - 'code complete' 'pragmatic programmer' as they seem more suited to what you just said.

If you also have lots of architecture experience (maybe built 5 big projects (several months work each) that you didn't know how to design beforehand (NOT 5 of the same crud app)) then maybe read about design patterns - but even then wouldn't go near GoF book unless you have even more experience than that.

Again, I'm not saying 'dont read GoF until you can code'. I'm saying 'dont read GoF until you have significant architecture experience'. If you have, then thats cool.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'm struggling to identify when they an be used
    Both the GoF and the POSA books provide examples of the problem the pattern addresses. It's a while since I read them but, from memory, in both books the examples are considered an important aspect of defining a pattern.

But... there's always one... these books were written in the 90s when frameworks were not so abundant as today. Back then when you started out to build, say an enterprise system, chances were you had to start by building some kind of framework - not simply choosing one as today. And many of the example problems in these books will be addressed by the framework you choose so they might not seem so relevant 20 years later! Of course the framework we choose was most probably designed using many of the patterns in these books!

• Advertisement
Advertisement