Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford focus losing power

• 18-10-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I have a 2006 115bhp focus ghia.

I brought it into the dealer and got it serviced. The said they could find nothing wrong. When I drove it home it was losing power when going uphill on the motorway. It lost 10kph on some hills in 5th gear.

I recently bought bridgestone A001 all weather tyres.

Would tyres cause this, I was thinking of asking for a compression test.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

texanman wrote: »
    I have a 2006 115bhp focus ghia.

I brought it into the dealer and got it serviced. The said they could find nothing wrong. When I drove it home it was losing power when going uphill on the motorway. It lost 10kph on some hills in 5th gear.

I recently bought bridgestone A001 all weather tyres.

Would tyres cause this, I was thinking of asking for a compression test.

Any ideas?

The tyres certainly couldn't cause it.

A dealer saying they found nothing means just that, nothing. Unless they charged your for labour and/or diagnostics then they didn't look at the problem any further then having a look around while doing the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is that the 1.4 ford focus , if your going up hill on a motorway in them they are going to lose speed, very very heavy car for the engine if its the 1.4 your in. I know as i own the older model 1.4 and thats not as bad but still a tad heavy. The newer model is heavier again and that engine should never of been allowed into it imo.

Are you sure your not just paranoid after the service ? do you go uphill on motorway often ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i guess it depends on how fast you were going...if it was on the limit , you'd expect it to lose speed uphill, but that doesn't sound likely.

It sounds like you are saying it ran out of power , should be plenty there with 115bhp..clutch isn't slipping is it?

Is that the 1.4 ford focus , if your going up hill on a motorway in them they are going to lose speed, very very heavy car for the engine if its the 1.4 your in. I know as i own the older model 1.4 and thats not as bad but still a tad heavy. The newer model is heavier again and that engine should never of been allowed into it imo.

Are you sure your not just paranoid after the service ? do you go uphill on motorway often ?

The 115hp is the 1.6 engine. It shouldn't really have any bother with a motorway hill in 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

The ford dealer charger €150 for oil, airfilter, oil filter.
    They said they plugged it into a computer and found nothing.

Its a 1.6 and I travel on this route often and they car didn't lose power before.

It sounds slightly different, I said this to the dealer and they found nothing.

I'm bringing it back tomorrow.

I was driving using cruise control @ 120kph and on some hills it went down to 110kph.

Its not the clutch, its just not as powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The 115hp is the 1.6 engine. It shouldn't really have any bother with a motorway hill in 5th.
    Yeah dead right, the 1.6 engine always seemed well able in the focus.

The ford dealer charger €150 for oil, airfilter, oil filter.
    They said they plugged it into a computer and found nothing.

Its a 1.6 and I travel on this route often and they car didn't lose power before.

It sounds slightly different, I said this to the dealer and they found nothing.

I'm bringing it back tomorrow.

I was driving using cruise control @ 120kph and on some hills it went down to 110kph.

Its not the clutch, its just not as powerful.

Is there no decent independent garage you can bring it to? No reason to be paying dealer prices for an 06 car(or any car for that matter).

The dealer didn't charge for looking as it was in warranty. Thank god !

If I don't get any satisfaction tomorrow ,I'll go else where.

The dealer didn't charge for looking as it was in warranty. Thank god !

If I don't get any satisfaction tomorrow ,I'll go else where.

When is your warranty up? Cos that's the date that the dealer is likely aiming for with any delays.

Its up now I think but they are not charging as this problem came on before the warranty ended.

Could it be compression or the exhaust system?

• Advertisement

Its up now I think but they are not charging as this problem came on before the warranty ended.

Could it be compression or the exhaust system?

Both would be very unlikely on a Focus. I'd be have the car properly diagnosed, i.e not just plugging the computer in a scanning for codes.

brought the car down today. was told that a sensor is gone in the engine.they said they would change the timing belt too. I have to see if they are going to cover it under warranty, as its just up.

Fingers crossed !

Would a sensor gone cause loss of power?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

In 2006 the 115hp engine was the old 1.8td and the 1.6 came in 90 and 110.

The newer focus 1.6 is 115.

mullingar wrote: »
    In 2006 the 115hp engine was the old 1.8td and the 1.6 came in 90 and 110.

The newer focus 1.6 is 115.

The MK2 focus was out in 2006 with 115hp.

@OP, 'a' sensor certainly could cause various running issues. Did they tell you what sensor?

The MK2 focus was out in 2006 with 115hp.

The mk2 came out in mid 2005 and the 115 was the 1.8 8v engine.

1.6 was either 90 or 110. I have a 1.6 110.

They said it was near the timing belt so they might as well change that too when they are there.

I'll know more Monday.

mullingar wrote: »
    The mk2 came out in mid 2005 and the 115 was the 1.8 8v engine.

1.6 was either 90 or 110. I have a 1.6 110.

Silly argument, but the HXDA engine code 1.6 petrol has 115hp

Silly argument, but the HXDA engine code 1.6 petrol has 115hp

Ah, petrol, I wrongly assumed diesel. Op never said.

Latest news on my 1.6 Petrol. It has been repaired. Garage said it was a vcp unit . Basically the timing gear.

I dont know exactly what this does but tomorrow I'll know if its running better.

Fingers crossed the power will be back in the engine !

Advertisement