Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it disrespectful to walk on people's graves?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It doesn't matter, it's primitive superstition. Akin to those people who say they'd donate certain things, but they wouldn't donate their eyes. As if the use of ones eyes is something that will matter when you are dead.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, it's primitive superstition. Akin to those people who say they'd donate certain things, but they wouldn't donate their eyes. As if the use of ones eyes is something that will matter when you are dead.

Respect and good manners aren't physical absolutes, they're tactful, good sense, and show interpersonal skills. If it's a superstition, so what? It shows respect to the people who do care and it takes no terrible effort.

If you think you need a reason like "because the dead will rise up and kill you and be all angry and stuff", then there's something you're seriously overlooking. You shouldn't need a reason to be considerate when it's not going to cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Respect and good manners aren't physical absolutes, they're tactful, good sense, and show interpersonal skills. If it's a superstition, so what? It shows respect to the people who do care and it takes no terrible effort.
    It takes less effort to not care one way or the other. It isn't as if I go out of my way to walk on graves. Hell, it isn't as if I find myself near them all that much, so don't lose sleep over it.
    If you think you need a reason like "because the dead will rise up and kill you and be all angry and stuff", then there's something you're seriously overlooking. You shouldn't need a reason to be considerate when it's not going to cost you anything.
    I think one should treat others as they themselves would like to be treated. So, when I see a topic that is vacuous, I tend to treat it as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Gnobe wrote: »
    But in reality we are all dead, does it matter?
    Nah you're grand. You can even piss on them. Sure they're all dead and don't mind, do they?
    Especially if the grave is over 100 years old?
    Ah if it's a 100 years old grave you can even have a dump on one, who cares, why bother and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

For everyone that is alive there are 15 dead, that is 120 billion dead, so the chances are you walk on someone's grave everyday. Another question you could ask about that figure where are all the ghosts.

Did you ever wonder why the land is always high around church grave yards, now you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, it's primitive superstition. Akin to those people who say they'd donate certain things, but they wouldn't donate their eyes.

You will need them to look up at the assh*les who walk on your grave, you just won't have the heart to react.

My grandmother and uncle were cremated so when were burying his ashes, in a tiny graveyard that only has plots for ashes, tiny plots back to back with only narrow paths in between rows; entire family tried to cram round one small plot, we inevitably ended up standing on other graves... not trampling the flowers and messing them up or anything; freaked my brother right out when he realised. I don't see any disrespect in what we were doing that day, nor would I be annoyed if I happened by the graveyard while another family was having a burial and was standing on their grave.

But if you can walk around it, then it's just curtesy and respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

44leto wrote: »
    For everyone that is alive there are 15 dead, that is 120 billion dead

I thought that there are more people alive now then there was ever in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on the intent. It doesn't bother me that someone might walk on my grave (at some point in the long distant future), but I would not deliberately walk on someone's grave, its sort of 'their - or their relatives' - space'. If you are inside an old church there is every chance you are walking on bodies as important (or rich) people were often buried within the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

YFlyer wrote: »
    44leto wrote: »
    For everyone that is alive there are 15 dead, that is 120 billion dead

I thought that there are more people alive now then there was ever in the past.

But people go back to like 35000bc that just a guess from what I remember from JC history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

GarIT wrote: »
    So I'm a gobsheen am I? That's nice. I think you should get off your high horse of respect before you start calling names.

Stop presuming how other people will think. I buried someone very close to me just over a year ago but I still think its a pile of bones in a wooden box in the ground. I know that the dead person won't notice so it doesn't bother me in that respect. To quote another poster I don't "show respect to silly religious beliefs". Although I wouldn't walk across a grave not out of respect but just not to offend anyone or cause myself trouble. Maybe that is respect, but for the living, not a corpse.

As for posters who go and call names and make presumptions without reading into the situation "they should probably look up the terms 'morals' and 'respect' because they clearly have neither."

Well if you think it's okay to just trundle across people's graves then the answer to your question is a resounding 'yes'. In my book people who do not display respect in the first place have no right to expect to be shown any, so i'm quite happy to sit on my high horse.

I feel the exact same way, it is just a pile of bones in a wooden box (i'm a staunch atheist, so the religious meaning and connotations have zero weight with me). But you know what? That pile of bones was someone's mother/father/sister/brother/whatever, and the grave is special to those people, so it's not acceptable to walk across it for no reason.

I clearly hit a nerve with you, much like the thread title did with myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

If you have the utmost respect and consideration for who's buried there, you can dig the corpse up n defile it for all I care

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well if you think it's okay to just trundle across people's graves then the answer to your question is a resounding 'yes'. In my book people who do not display respect in the first place have no right to expect to be shown any, so i'm quite happy to sit on my high horse.

I feel the exact same way, it is just a pile of bones in a wooden box (i'm a staunch atheist, so the religious meaning and connotations have zero weight with me). But you know what? That pile of bones was someone's mother/father/sister/brother/whatever, and the grave is special to those people, so it's not acceptable to walk across it for no reason.

I clearly hit a nerve with you, much like the thread title did with myself.

+ 1

I totally agree, this is nothing to do with religious beliefs. It's someones family member(s) and it baffles me that some people can't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Do you think its disrespectful to walk on someone's grave??

If you do it to cause offense it is disrespectful, If nobody is around to get offended then once your not wrecking plants etc then no it is not disrespectful.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

It's not disrespectful if it's Charles Haughey's grave. You'd be doing the country a favour!

Is Charles Haughey in there on his own I think they have might stuck his bit Terry Keane (the one That looked like colonel gaddafi) in there with him to suck his little bit like in the old days, but walking on his grave might be a bit disrespectful to his kids although they probably don't all know that he is their dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is Charles Haughey in there on his own I think they have might stuck his bit Terry Keane (the one That looked like colonel gaddafi) in there with him to suck his little bit like in the old days, but walking on his grave might be a bit disrespectful to his kids although they probably don't all know that he is their dad.

In fairness we all know what Haughey was like but I don't think that his grave should be disrespected. No human being, no matter what they did in life should have their final resting place interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why do people call it a resting place? There is nobody resting in there they are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I can't see *walking* on a grave to be disrespectful, but if I'm in a graveyard, I try not to unless there isn't another path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I would never do it personally.....but I suppose it depends why you do.

If it's because you are tending to it or you have no choice then it's not disrespectful.

However you are doing because you just don't care how you treat the dead or are too lazy to use the path or just to be disrespectful then I would have a problem with it.

I find it disrespectful to the deceased who made a point of choosing that spot to be laid to rest because it meant something to them and to the family of the deceased whose only link to their loved is that little plot of land.

It may be a pile of old bones or a small pot of ashes to you but to some-one else that was their parent or spouse or child or close friend. I really can't understand how some people are struggling to understand this. Or is it just that they are so cold as to not care?

And I would most certainly never ever walk over a child or baby's grave for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SuzyDaFloozy

only if ur wearin Crap shoes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Personally I don't see the big deal. We're all dead anyway. We have our memories of these people so obsesseing over whether somebody walks on somebodies grave is a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i wanna be cremated when i die... so i couldn't give a hoot about graves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

I voted yes but only in the sense that if it offends someone, or you think it might, then it's disrespectful.

In itself, I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

i wanna be cremated when i die... so i couldn't give a hoot about graves

Noone is asking you to give a hoot. Just don't walk on other peoples graves because they probably would give a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think it is. My friend had sex in a funeral parlour once though - I thought that was a bit much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think it is. My friend had sex in a funeral parlour once though - I thought that was a bit much.
    Oh yeah..Your 'friend';)
    And i avoided all 'stiff' jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dudess wrote: »

Was it with a corpse ? That would be taking the piss a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh yeah..Your 'friend';)
    And i avoided all 'stiff' jokes.
    It was my friend honestly - my limit is a graveyard. :pac:

Advertisement