Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medal for Garda Reserve service

Options
  • 26-05-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

i wonder has the Minister any notiion of awarding reserves a service medal (as they do in the Civil defence and the Reserve Defence Forces) for people who volunteer their time freely.. Regular Gardai are paid for it, and i know we didn't join the Reserves for money or a medal, but i believe it would be a nice appreciatoin all the same!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I take it you mean a long service medal
    Do Gardai get a medal for long service, and if so after how many years ?
    If so, IMO the Gardai reserve should get a long service Gardai Reserve medal for the same number of years service to the Gardai reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

i wonder has the Minister any notiion of awarding reserves a service medal (as they do in the Civil defence and the Reserve Defence Forces) for people who volunteer their time freely.. Regular Gardai are paid for it, and i know we didn't join the Reserves for money or a medal, but i believe it would be a nice appreciatoin all the same!

Its hard enough to get them to recognise they have a reserve force let alone get a medal, when they start to recognise the reserve force you might have some hope until then forget it, as i have said in previous posts out of the last 8yrs this is the first year the GRA have not had anything to say about the reserve force, now that is something to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

bluetop wrote: »
    Its hard enough to get them to recognise they have a reserve force let alone get a medal, when they start to recognise the reserve force you might have some hope until then forget it, as i have said in previous posts out of the last 8yrs this is the first year the GRA have not had anything to say about the reserve force, now that is something to write home about.

The GRA or is it the AGSI want us to wear a totally different uniform, than them....so this is just as bad...

still i think we should be given a medal if we have done 7 years VOLUNTARY service , just aw the fCA/RDF get, i think the Civil Defence get one after 10 years, IIRC..

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

The GRA or is it the AGSI want us to wear a totally different uniform, than them....so this is just as bad...

still i think we should be given a medal if we have done 7 years VOLUNTARY service , just aw the fCA/RDF get, i think the Civil Defence get one after 10 years, IIRC..

Yep AGSI sure they live on another planet, i would settle for the recognition and the powers to be rolled out, nearly 8mts now since the training was done, i suppose knowing how slow AGS are at doing anything i suppose that could take another 20 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Well after one event!
    I wasn't looking for a medal!

But, I personally saved a mans life after having a full on heart attack...
    When I was out walking the dogs just after Two months doing the first aid/AED course in Templemore...
    I told my Sgt etc etc about it just in case...
    No big medal coming my way any time soon... But seeing the guy from time to time is good for me...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Surely going home at the end of the day knowing "that you made a difference" is enough recognition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Surely going home at the end of the day knowing "that you made a difference" is enough recognition.

Its not recognition if YOU are the only one who thinks it! Recognition is a public statement of appreciation for something (in this case VOLUNTARY service), and although it isn't necessary, it is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

A medal, what next?

Shady Tady wrote: »
    A medal, what next?

His own T.V. show, book deals, a spot on the Graham Norton show:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    His own T.V. show, book deals, a spot on the Graham Norton show:

Then he'll get hooked on cocaine and get busted and they'll take the medal back!

• Advertisement

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Then he'll get hooked on cocaine and get busted and they'll take the medal back!

It's all over the Precinth that Internal Affairs are on it already. Before he knows it the D.A. will have him up before a Grand Jury

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

What do you want? A medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhon boy

the special constabulary in England get one ... or you could buy your own on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

speaking for myself don't do it for any kind of recognition . Just a great way of putting some spare time to a god use

Advertisement