Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindle

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

thanks youve been a good help! she should get that. personally would never want a light myself...with my array of lamps :D

DL1006.jpg

The wife has that very lamp too on her side of the bed! LOL

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got this
    406px-Amazon_Kindle_3.JPG
    + this
    51mhk4oZKzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    That's my Kindle set up too! If you get the Mighty Bright (and I recommend it - batteries haven't gone yet) then you'll be completely copying me..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i bought a kindle for my wife about a year ago and she uses it all the time (daily) and loves it. i primarily bought it for her as she was always reading on the way to/from work and usually ended up with at least 2 big books in her bag, so the kindle worked out great for her.

she's on maternity leave now and keeping all sorts of odd hours with the baby and i quite often wake up to find her reading something or other with a little clip on led light i got for it, so it's still getting plenty of use.

i got her this case to go with it btw.

duragadget_kindle_leather_case.jpg

opinions so far? Calibre is a godsend.
    the kindle wipes the floor with the sony e-readers once you've used both for a day or so. i have a mate who had a sony reader and we swapped for a couple of days just to see what the grass was like on the other side, so to speak.

i hated the sony and he sold his on ebay and bought a kindle the next day, so 'nuff said on that i think. :)

also, amazon were awesome when he broke his kindle screen running for a bus when it was a couple of weeks old. he did tell them he didn't know how the screen broke, but they were great about it and sent him a replacement out immediately and gave him a month to send back the broken one.

don't waste your time with the non-3G model if you have the choice as 3G access is totally free worldwide, forever (on the older model at least), anywhere you can get a mobile signal on it and with the experimental (albeit limited) web browser, that means free gmail/hotmail access and basic web browsing (inc. boards.ie, news sites, etc.). it's not exactly a 21st century browsing experience, but worldwide and free on a device with a battery life of up to a month, is pretty impressive imho.

i've heard rumours that the newer model kindles coming out now don't have that available in the same way as the older ones, so it may be that amazon are able to charge for usage on the new models coming out, or it may not even be present any more, i can't say for certain.

the new kindles are shipping in the US right now, which is bang on time for the kindle fire, but a week or so early for the kindle touch. i just got an email from amazon a couple of hours ago to say my kindle fire has shipped today to my US forwarding address, so hopefully it will be there in a couple of days and fingers crossed the kindle touch is about to ship too, so i can get them both forwarded on to me here in sunny ireland by the end of next week!

neither one is for me btw, the kindle fire is for my wife for xmas, the touch is for my dad.

i might inherit the old kindle tho from my wife if i'm lucky, assuming she's happy using the fire for her late night reading, but i guess time will tell on that one altho i'm told it does have a "night reading" mode on it so fingers crossed.

either way, i'll be having a good play with both of them before they get wrapped up for xmas. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

+ this
    51mhk4oZKzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Awesome case!
    I'm still hooked on paper and hardback but a case like that would make me seriously consider a kindle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

and my gf thought i was crazy drooling over a case and looking at it on youtube :pac:

think i might have seen you mention it ixoy!

• Advertisement

If you really want to make everyone else jealous, get these:
    * http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle3.php
    * http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=81
    * http://www.oberondesign.com/Ereader_Sleeve_S.php

They are not cheap but I think most agree they are beautiful.

Example:

capturehhd.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't buy leather but if I did these would be the first! :D

This is nice

16394.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Hey Guys,

I really want the new kindle, not really interested in the keyboard one, I priced them today in currys and the old keyboard one was 179. Has anyone bought the kindle from amazon? How much did it cost in total? I know its $79 but am just wondering how much it costs overall?

add it to your basket and see...when i tired that it went up to near 150e :/
    I got the keyboard wifi one for 80£ but you need to ship to uk.

sounds like you should buy from an irish shop tbh.

Hey Guys,

I really want the new kindle, not really interested in the keyboard one, I priced them today in currys and the old keyboard one was 179. Has anyone bought the kindle from amazon? How much did it cost in total? I know its $79 but am just wondering how much it costs overall?
    new kindle from amazon.co.uk = £89 (€104 at todays rate, checked via www.xe.com), with free supersaver delivery to UK addresses.

go to www.deliverme.ie and register and they will send you an address in Northern Ireland to use as your UK address for amazon. They then contact you when it's delivered and charge you €22 to forward it via next day courier to your IE address, so that's a total of €126 delivered. :)

OR, if you don't mind waiting a few days extra, you can do something similar and order it (as a US customer) from amazon.com for $109 (€81) (or $79/€59 if you don't mind the odd sponsored advert, which i'm not even sure you'll get outside of the US) and use www.viaddress.com to forward it to your IE address for $38 (€29) for a delivered total of €110 (or €88 with the ads one). :)

OR, you could splash out on the new Kindle touch for $99 which will be released in the next couple of days in the US and have it in time for xmas before it's even released over here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

I proced it on amazon.com last night and shipping to ireland for the $79 works out about €121 in total, Hopefully there will be no more charges added later

the new kindle is like 109E in pc world guys! no need to order that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Quick questions to those who are well used to Kindle. If I were to download and place a bunch of DRM cracked books into a Kindle, can Amazon find out / police it somehow, or can they remove it and/or disable etc?

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Hey Guys,

Bought one last week for my dad its $79.00 with add $109.00 without

Your Shipment Details
    Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc.):
    Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - for international shipment
    $109.00
    Item Subtotal: $109.00
    Shipping and Handling: $20.98
    Import Fees Deposit: $27.30
    Shipment Total: $157.28 (EUR 118,79)
    Paid by Visa: $157.28 (EUR 118,79)

Also see someone bought it in pc world for €109.00 if its add free then its the best value only took 3 days to arrive from america though.

I would also add that this version only comes with 2GB memory so depending on your needs it may not be right for you.

ye i got the keyboard one for the 4gb and audio.

positron wrote: »
    Quick questions to those who are well used to Kindle. If I were to download and place a bunch of DRM cracked books into a Kindle, can Amazon find out / police it somehow, or can they remove it and/or disable etc?

Thanks a million!
    nope.

well, not so far anyway and it's been a year. :D

i've never even heard of any amazon snooping at all and who's to say that anything you didn't get direct from amazon isn't legit anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

positron wrote: »

Thanks a million!

You can download from other sources other than amazon most likely it won't be in a format thats recognised by the kindle so it will have to be converted.

Amazon have a tutorial on there website on how to add an ebook via a usb connection so it shouldn't be a problem.

I did read an article were a publisher didn't have rights to sell a book on amazon so amazon removed it from there website, refunded customers and remotely wiped the books from kindles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cintec wrote: »
    You can download from other sources other than amazon most likely it won't be in a format thats recognised by the kindle so it will have to be converted.

Amazon have a tutorial on there website on how to add an ebook via a usb connection so it shouldn't be a problem.

I did read an article were a publisher didn't have rights to sell a book on amazon so amazon removed it from there website, refunded customers and remotely wiped the books from kindles.

Big Brother is not watching you...honest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

cintec wrote: »
    problem solved: http://calibre-ebook.com/

will read just about any format going and convert to amazon readable format on the fly.

tbh, if you have a kindle and don't have this, you're crippling its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have decided to buy a Nook Simple Touch. A relative is going to the USA next week - it costs $99 in any Barnes & Noble bookstore.

You cannot use the Barnes & Noble ebookstore, unless you live in the USA (i.e. your credit card address must be in the States.

But it reads Epub & PDF, so no problem buying anywhere else.

The Nook Simple Touch is very highly rated in all the reviews.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    problem solved: http://calibre-ebook.com/

will read just about any format going and convert to amazon readable format on the fly.

tbh, if you have a kindle and don't have this, you're crippling its potential.

If you have ANY ebook reader and don't have Calibre, you are losing out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

If I get the Kindle Touch on eBay will it work with my existing Amazon.com account, since its not available here yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Brian017 wrote: »
    If I get the Kindle Touch on eBay will it work with my existing Amazon.com account, since its not available here yet?

Probably, but why get the touch over the kindle4 or kindle keyboard even?

I ask as I've been researching the kindle since I saw Tar.Aldarion's awesomo case (posted earlier in this thread) and can't see any advantage to the kindle touch.

Mactard wrote: »
    Probably, but why get the touch over the kindle4 or kindle keyboard even?

I ask as I've been researching the kindle since I saw Tar.Aldarion's awesomo case (posted earlier in this thread) and can't see any advantage to the kindle touch.
    the kindle touch is a touchscreen version of the kindle 4 for $20 more than the regular kindle 4. the advantage is that it's got a touchscreen, rather than having to use a d-pad and buttons.

the first obvious advantage of that is that if you ever decide to type anything into your kindle (searching for books on the kindle store etc.), you're not going to be there all day trying to do it.

you also don't have to keep scrolling through menu items until you find the one you want and then click on it. as soon as you can see it on-screen, you can select it on the touchscreen, job done.

the touch also has a headphone jack and speakers, which were present on the kindle 3, but missing from the kindle 4.

there's a pretty comprehensive review here on engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/kindle-touch-review/

personally, as a kindle 3 owner of a year and soon to be kindle touch (temporarily) and kindle fire owner in the next couple of weeks, for the couple of extra quid that's in it, i'd got for the touch any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I really like the buttons on my kindle w/keyboard.

I like being able to handle the screen without worrying about what i touch.

And I love the way the page buttons work, just a little nudge to turn pages, you dont have to put a finger on the screen to do it.

I bought a kindle fire and its fine as a browser/tablet but I'll keep my old e-ink kindle for books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I have Kindle 4 NT (basic) for little over a week now - it's my first Kindle of any type, but I preferred this over the Kindle Touch because when I really think about it, once I start reading a book, I want to finish it before going onto something else. The only exception is periodicals. Even with that, with the page buttons so handy, I really think the K4 NT is much better - there's something about flicking pages without having to as much as move your finger (it rests over the next page button, and tiny but well controllable change in pressure and you are in next page). I wouldn't think it would be the same with touch - now if Kindle Touch had hardware buttons for page fwd and back, that would have been the ultimate Kindle for me. May be they will do that for Kindle 5! Along with an 8 inch screen, narrow bezel, option to turn on/off touchscreen and color e-ink display (I am thinking of those lovely comics of course). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Can you get the Kindle 4 with 3g, or does it just come with wifi?

just wifi i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

new kindle from amazon.co.uk = £89 (€104 at todays rate, checked via www.xe.com), with free supersaver delivery to UK addresses.

go to www.deliverme.ie and register and they will send you an address in Northern Ireland to use as your UK address for amazon. They then contact you when it's delivered and charge you €22 to forward it via next day courier to your IE address, so that's a total of €126 delivered. :)

OR, if you don't mind waiting a few days extra, you can do something similar and order it (as a US customer) from amazon.com for $109 (€81) (or $79/€59 if you don't mind the odd sponsored advert, which i'm not even sure you'll get outside of the US) and use www.viaddress.com to forward it to your IE address for $38 (€29) for a delivered total of €110 (or €88 with the ads one). :)

OR, you could splash out on the new Kindle touch for $99 which will be released in the next couple of days in the US and have it in time for xmas before it's even released over here. :)

Has anyone any experience of doing this? Really tempted to get the touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Has anyone any experience of doing this? Really tempted to get the touch.

They have the new kindle (not touch) for about that in all tescos from what Ive seen - have to say though I've played with both and I prefer the kindle keyboard
    Regarding the touch - id say it won't be in the shops over here this side of Christmas - however it might be worth asking on the currys board here and also contacting tesco
    - before you order it in - another week and your into dodgy shipping times (close to Christmas)

Advertisement