Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storing wedding dress before wedding

• 20-05-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I picked up my dress in a sample sale and brought it home yesterday. My wedding isn't until next April and I'm not sure how to store the dress until then! I have it hanging up at the moment but my wardrobe isn't tall enough to allow it to hang fully. Would I be better storing it folded in the garment bag and taking it out every so often to prevent creasing? I've asked the bridal shop what they recommend but I've had no answer yet! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lay it flat if you can. In a bag under a bed maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Might sound strange but I have mine in the bag it came in (like a suit carrier but long enough that the dress can fully hang inside it), hanging in the attic. I was able to hang it from one o f the beams which meant it was hanging without touching the ground and getting crumpled etc. been up there 5 years and still in perfect condition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm nervous leaving it under a bed because I'm afraid my dog will get under there and think I've bought him something lovely to sleep on! I might try the attic, a few Google searches said not to in case of damp but I think ours is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I was told by the bridal shop not to store it in attic because of high temperatures in summer and low in winter. Could ruin the dress.plus the risk of damp..
    whatever about after the wedding I don't think I'd chance it before.
    have you a spare room that you could hang it on the back of the door? I had the same problem as you as in it wouldn't fit lengthwise in the wardrobe so I hung on a door in a spare room..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Considering it's a sample, I'd ask the dress shop for their recommendations and probably take it to a dry cleaners to be freshened, pressed and packed.

Alternatively if you know who'll be doing your alterations, ask them to mind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our wardrobes aren't flush with the ceilings, so they'd easily fit a wedding dress on top of them. Is there any place like that you could keep it? Or in a long narrow plastic box that can't be easily opened under a bed. You could vaccuum pack it. I wouldn't fold it as that could damage the material.

Thanks all! I'm still not sure what to do, I might be best to leave it in the spare room of my dad's house because I could hang or lay it flat there, just not ideal as it's three hours away and I need to match accessories to the dress! But really don't think my house has anywhere suitable to store it unfortunately

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have mine hanging in a wardrobe, but it's not tall enough either. It's been there for a year now though! I think I'll just get it pressed and cleaned before the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I bought my dress in a sample sale too, but they're holding it for me until I want it, but they also provide an alterations service too. Cld you ask your shop to do the same?

The temptation to try it on again would be too much for me to have it anywhere near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

My shop did the same also, held onto it until I was ready for alterations then pressed it for me as couldn't steam the material. Felt a lot happier knowing it was being correctly stored in the shop rather than up in my dusty attic!

• Advertisement

Is your wardrobe freestanding? Perhaps pull it out from the wall a bit and hang it behind it (from top of wardrobe)?

Unfortunately storing it in the bridal shop isn't an option! I might try to pull out a wardrobe and see could I hang it from the back. The temptation to put it on and wander about the house is huge though, I might be better giving it to someone else to look after!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Ask if you could store in it a friends/family members house; if they have a spare room or tall wardrobe, it would be able to hang up easier, and you won't be looking at it all the time! Do you have a press you could clear out? (I don't know if we're the only people with a ''coat press'' in the hallway!)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've had mine hanging up since Feb 14 and its still grand. I check it every so often but we have no issues with dampness or anything like that so we are lucky.

Would a hook sturdily screwed into the ceiling in a spare room be an option? You could always Polyfilla the hole when you are done.

Cheers all! I think I'll move it up to my dad's house altogether for most of the year, it's probably the best place for it. Going to keep it here for the next month or two while I'm sorting accessories so I might try the hook idea Neyite, would never have thought of it!

Advertisement