Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plus 500 ad spam

• 29-04-2015 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

I only use my phone to browse boards and whatever way the touch website is set up I seem to click into these awful soul destroying plus 500 ads in every forum I go into. How to solve this problem please? I consider it spam.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A couple of people have flagged that ad as killing the site too on phone and tablet in the Site Development forum. I think what may be happening to you is that you go to scroll but there's no immediate response, but when you go to click a link the page then decides to respond to your scrolling and the ad ends up getting clicked.

It's an awful bloody ad in terms of the affects it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

i too am having issues with this ad on the touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭mountain

skirtgirl wrote: »
    I only use my phone to browse boards and whatever way the touch website is set up I seem to click into these awful soul destroying plus 500 ads in every forum I go into. How to solve this problem please? I consider it spam.

I thought i had fat fingers!

Glad im not the only one with the same problem with that ad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Getting a lot of blank spaces on touch,where ads were in AH for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

+1 happening to me too

skirtgirl wrote: »

Happening to me too.

Still not impressed with the size of the new ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Also happening to me and mostly on that plus 500 ad - I think it's size is outside the borders as you scroll and therefore hitting it is infuriatingly unavoidable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Three huge ad images on this small thread. Bit over the top.

Its like they use the "touchend" event to register a click on an ad. So if you happen to end scrolling over an ad, lift your finger, its enough to open the ad.

Use the "click" or "tap" event at least if we're to be spammed with ads.

I suppose every ad interaction is a few pennies in the pocket so they might not be too keen on fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Three huge ad images on this small thread. Bit over the top.

Its like they use the "touchend" event to register a click on an ad. So if you happen to end scrolling over an ad, lift your finger, its enough to open the ad.

Use the "click" or "tap" event at least if we're to be spammed with ads.

I suppose every ad interaction is a few pennies in the pocket so they might not be too keen on fixing it.

I agree, I only use the touch site so I keep accidentally clicking on the ad while scrolling. And because I keep clicking it, it's now turning up on other sites which is extremely annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Haven't posted on boards in weeks but felt obliged to comment on this thread.

This ad is driving me crazy! So much so I've gotten so angry that I've just said 'to hell with boards!' and have moved on to another website.

Please get rid of this ad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,953 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You should post about them on the sticky for dodgy ads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855938&page=14

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think after 5 months and the old I'll get back to you excuse they won't be changed no matter when, where or how much they are highlighted, and the intention was to get accidental clicks.

Adblock mentioned in the other thread seems like the only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Spear wrote: »
    You should post about them on the sticky for dodgy ads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855938&page=14

you should just take the tripe off the page like the good mod you are

awaits ban or infraction as usually the course of action with comments they just don't like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

What?

What is it you're trying to say cause you sound like an angry child who's too pent up to be able to speak in an intelligible manner.

Have you any idea what a Mod on this site does?

What exactly does this sort of hostile nonsense solve?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I pressed the little play shaped button on the top of the ad (far right corner) and said I didn't want to see it again - seems to have worked obviously I'm getting another ad in its place but it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to touch - also I have done this with a few dodgy looking ads and rated them inappropriate. Don't know if that's the right thing to do but happy not to see that plus 500 ad anymore!

Advertisement