Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air valve on Riello burner

Options
  • 05-03-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have the usual problem for this forum, oil ran out and have an air lock. It's a Firebird boiler with a Riello RGB burner. I have bled systems before that have the usual long hex screw, but this has a different type of valve (see pic attached) where that hex screw normally is. The top can be pumped and seems to release a little bit of air through the small pipe at the side. The circular disc at the top can be unscrewed but I don't think that does anything in particular. The entire piece can also be unscrewed. Hoping someone is familiar with this type of item and could advise what is the best way to do this, should I unscrew it & press the reset button until I get some oil through?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I think you just push and hold untill oil comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

It's called a boiler bleed valve google it I'm not sure how it works myself

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I think you just push and hold untill oil comes out.

Thanks very much, holding it down has got a lot of oil through now. It fired up for about a minute but went off again so I think I have some more bleeding to be done.
    Robbie.G wrote: »
    It's called a boiler bleed valve google it I'm not sure how it works myself

Wasn't sure what they were called, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

It's a bleed valve "as seen on dragons den"
    Open the tap, like a tap, anty clockwise.
    Oil will eventual come out the small pipe on the side of it.
    Small side pipe should have been re positioned on the valve to face down. Valve had four options for it to be positioned that way by removing appropate screw and re fitting small pipe there, so that you can bleed into a tray.
    Anyway, open tap, place bowl / tray underneath to catch oil.
    Press red button once every second, on off, on off, on off, till you have pumped out a pint of oil, then close valve / tap.
    It's bled.
    Make sure to safely put oil back into oil tank.

Credit card payments accepted !

scudo2 wrote: »
    It's a bleed valve "as seen on dragons den"
    Open the tap, like a tap, anty clockwise.
    Oil will eventual come out the small pipe on the side of it.
    Small side pipe should have been re positioned on the valve to face down. Valve had four options for it to be positioned that way by removing appropate screw and re fitting small pipe there, so that you can bleed into a tray.
    Anyway, open tap, place bowl / tray underneath to catch oil.
    Press red button once every second, on off, on off, on off, till you have pumped out a pint of oil, then close valve / tap.
    It's bled.
    Make sure to safely put oil back into oil tank.

Credit card payments accepted !

ps. Can you post a picture of the bottom of the oil pump under the bleed valve as I'm not 100% sure oil pipe is connected properly. ( seperate problem ) just to be sure all's ok.
    thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

We're back up & running, had about 6 false alarms where it fired up but went off again after about a minute. It's been running for about 10 minutes now so I think I'm sorted! Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately it's a cash only job Scudo! ;):D

Now that it's working do you still think the oil pipe might not be connected properly?

Seamu$ wrote: »
    We're back up & running, had about 6 false alarms where it fired up but went off again after about a minute. It's been running for about 10 minutes now so I think I'm sorted! Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately it's a cash only job Scudo! ;):D

Now that it's working do you still think the oil pipe might not be connected properly?

Id have to see a picture, or we'll be texting forever.
    I could be wrong but a picture would be safer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

Seamu$ wrote: »

them cork boys are not allergic to cash in case you think they are ;)
    seamus

Id have to see a picture, or we'll be texting forever.
    I could be wrong but a picture would be safer. Thanks

Up to you ! I could be wrong but if I'm not then you could have a serious potential problem. Photo pz.

Up to you ! I could be wrong but if I'm not then you could have a serious potential problem. Photo pz.

+1 asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Defo on close up doesn't look quite right.

Defo on close up doesn't look quite right.

I could be wrong here.
    BUT oil line seems to be connected to the outlet port.
    It will still work ok.

But in my experience if its stupidly connected to the outlet/return connection by somebody that can't read arrow marks ( for stupid people ) !!!
    Then there is a very strong chance that original inlet still has the weak plastic plug that could pop out anytime !

Again, I could be wrong. As we haven't a photo, but it's something I've come across a few times, once was worst case seranio.

I could be wrong here.
    BUT oil line seems to be connected to the outlet port.
    It will still work ok.

But in my experience if its stupidly connected to the outlet/return connection by somebody that can't read arrow marks ( for stupid people ) !!!
    Then there is a very strong chance that original inlet still has the weak plastic plug that could pop out anytime !

Again, I could be wrong. As we haven't a photo, but it's something I've come across a few times, once was worst case seranio.

would agree scudo plastic plug would be the big worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Just my opinion,i would say the camera angle is playing tricks here.Its taken at a 30 degree angle approx.and a downward angle too To me its connected to the inlet port.Although i dont like the way the flexi hose is touching the motor.

agusta wrote: »
    Just my opinion,i would say the camera angle is playing tricks here.Its taken at a 30 degree angle approx.and a downward angle too To me its connected to the inlet port.Although i dont like the way the flexi hose is touching the motor.

Hi agusta.
    I don't know your maiden name ?

It was the size and shine of the nut that got me thinking.

On a seperate note.
    Have you come across the RDB boxes with a + on lockout button before ? As in OP's photo.
    Strange wiring setup, I had to totaly rewire a control panel on a heatpack when I replaced a box with a standard one before. I had no choice as only had a standard RDB in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Hi agusta.
    I don't know your maiden name ?

It was the size and shine of the nut that got me thinking.

On a seperate note.
    Have you come across the RDB boxes with a + on lockout button before ? As in OP's photo.
    Strange wiring setup, I had to totaly rewire a control panel on a heatpack when I replaced a box with a standard one before. I had no choice as only had a standard RDB in stock.
    Ya its looks like a fairly new riello hose.I was looking at my burner here from roughly the same angle as the picture was taken and i could see the same picture as seamus posted.I thought all the rdb boxes had a + on the lockout button.I have 3 rdb boxes here with a + on them.although its very hard to see the + unless your on your knees and the lock out light is on.I havent come across the type of rdb box you changed as yet thankfully

agusta wrote: »
    Ya its looks like a fairly new riello hose.I was looking at my burner here from roughly the same angle as the picture was taken and i could see the same picture as seamus posted.I thought all the rdb boxes had a + on the lockout button.I have 3 rdb boxes here with a + on them.although its very hard to see the + unless your on your knees and the lock out light is on
    Extra live wire on the box. Can't remember exactly,
    I've changed plenty of RDB standard boxes.
    Only 1 with + as in OP's photo.

Sorry Mods, off topic, I know, but chats go that way.
    Original OP questioned fixed.

could well be a trick of the lens but id rather not find out the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id say its just camera angle. Pipe isnt even near centre to the nut.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I think it's connected to correct side.

I have come across one working at the wrong side, had been like that for years. Pump was the fault when I called, but I think fault was caused by letting oil run out all the time.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Had an issue recently, the oil was very low in a 600 Gall tank, and a delivery of about 400 ltrs was put in. Several days later, the burner flamed out, and it turned out to be the filter was restricting the flow of oil. Changed the filter, disconnected and blew the line back to the tank, the colour of the oil that came out of the line was "interesting". black is the best description for it.

Fitted new filter, refilled line and purged pump, been fine since.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

noticed that all right angle is way off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Had an issue recently, the oil was very low in a 600 Gall tank, and a delivery of about 400 ltrs was put in. Several days later, the burner flamed out, and it turned out to be the filter was restricting the flow of oil. Changed the filter, disconnected and blew the line back to the tank, the colour of the oil that came out of the line was "interesting". black is the best description for it.

Fitted new filter, refilled line and purged pump, been fine since.

That nice :)
    297285.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    That nice :)
    297285.jpg

when did that mad woman start fixing oil boilers :P

Advertisement