Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this happen in Ireland??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There would be very little to stop someone from running such a reserve in this country. However, there would be the bare minimum anti-cruelty laws in force, so in order to keep such a large number of exotic animals alive (never mind in good condition), would cost a fairly hefty amount of cash.

While there's nothing legally preventing someone from doing the same thing here, it would be extremely impractical.

Absolutely ridiculous waste, it sounds like the law enforcement idiots relished the idea of a bit of open-range hunting of exotic animals, and didn't give much consideration to the possibility of capturing them.

Yes, there would be a public risk, but you can go out with a plan A - plan B mindset. Plan A is to tranquilise and capture it. If that fails, then you shoot it. Can't hurt to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Typical shoot first mentality of redneck american cops - probably inevitable that some would have been shot but was there a justification for the slaughter ? I think not....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

that is a disgrace killing all them animals

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I agree that killing them all is not the best option, however, tranquillising something in the dark means it can succumb to the drugs where it won't be found, wake up, and then run off never to be seen again.
    Also, many animals that possibly could have been captured would be euthanised anyway as zoos and rescue centres are already overrun.
    Being able to keep animals like this is simply ridiculous. I would like to see more oversight on licenses for exotics, and fewer being given out at all.
    Let's hope it doesn't happen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Bad for them all to die but i think they did the right thing, they used what they had available, their handguns and probably rifles came along after that. doubt they have a load of tranq guns in the police force? Id prefer all them animals die than one person be hurt by them.

The same thing would happen here i reckon in the same situation and rightly so if it darts were not available and guns were. Dont agree with being allowed keep them privatly though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

seamus wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous waste, it sounds like the law enforcement idiots relished the idea of a bit of open-range hunting of exotic animals, and didn't give much consideration to the possibility of capturing them.

QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought and then I saw something on the news about it last night one of the 'cops' looking at the pictures on his phone of the shot/dead animals. I'm sure it gave them all a hard on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

This could easily happen here. There was a spate of big cat sightings up the north and the west about five years ago. Probably escaped or let go from private collections.

I've seen trade lists with hyenas, loads of monkeys etc etc. No big cats though.
    Northern Ireland have the Dangerous Wild Animals Act which means you need to prove you can house the animal before you can get a license for it.

I think people would be absolutely gobsmacked if they knew what sort of species people are keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This could easily happen here. There was a spate of big cat sightings up the north and the west about five years ago. Probably escaped or let go from private collections.

I've seen trade lists with hyenas, loads of monkeys etc etc. No big cats though.
    Northern Ireland have the Dangerous Wild Animals Act which means you need to prove you can house the animal before you can get a license for it.

I think people would be absolutely gobsmacked if they knew what sort of species people are keeping.

Like everything else in this country it will take some disaster/tragedy before the authorities get the finger out on this one:rolleyes:

Another issue here is the trade in endangered species that threatens entire populations of everything from tortoises to big cats in the wild. I wonder how many, if any, checks are done on pet shops in this country to see where they source parrots, reptiles etc.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I doubt there is any checks done at all to be honest. A friend of mine has a Hermans Tortoise which he has the CITES paperwork for. He has tried twice to get the name changed on the paperwork to his name thus making it all legit but has been completely unsuccessful. It is all pretty far down on our governments agenda obviously.

The Marine Institute on the other hand seem to do quite a good job of regulating what aquatics come in to the country. I'm assuming this is because marine species are more likely to survive and reproduce in the wild than a lot of exotic mammals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I doubt there is any checks done at all to be honest. A friend of mine has a Hermans Tortoise which he has the CITES paperwork for. He has tried twice to get the name changed on the paperwork to his name thus making it all legit but has been completely unsuccessful. It is all pretty far down on our governments agenda obviously.

And the ineviteable consequence of such indifference is:

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/congo-gorilla2011.html#cr

• Advertisement
Advertisement