Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Thanks for that.
    Five minutes?
    Took me half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Took me a bit too, but glad I got a chance to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I have a quicker way, change the channel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

How about we include the Muslim call to prayer and other prompts to pray for all religions in existence? And sure, can't we just change the channel for them too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

And aren't there plenty of Educate Together schools that all the non-religious can go to? Sure what's the harm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

robindch wrote: »
    And aren't there plenty of Educate Together schools that all the non-religious can go to? Sure what's the harm?

Actually there are zero non-religious schools in Ireland. Even ET is multi-denominational rather than non-denominational although, to be fair, they do act more like non-denominational.

However, all of the places in ET schools are being taken by the religious and non-Catholics can't get into other schools because of their discriminatory practices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have an ideal solution. as well as broadcasting the angelus on RTE1, they should broadcast it on RTE2 simultaneously - but with the audio track phase inverted.
    that way, their *combined* output is one minute of silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hear Hear!
    Imagine being that pernickity that having the angelus on telly bugs you. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hear Hear!
    Imagine being that pernickity that having the angelus on telly bugs you. Sad really.

Imagine both paying state taxes and a license fee which are then used to pay for advertising of an iron age belief system during prime evening viewing time Every. Single. Day. Of. The. Year.
    Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hear Hear!

The sadder part is the desire for people to hear a clanging bell with a plethora of confused folk staring into the distance on their TV every single evening.

Makes loads of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Hear Hear!
    the outrage!!

license payers making use of a feedback survey to suggest changes they would like to see on the publicly funded television station.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's only a minute ffs, who watches rte at 6pm anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Doesn't take that long to fill the survey. There are 26 questions. You can skip through if you wanted and just leave the comment to get rid of the Angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its 1 minute out of your life,big deal.
    I like the minute to stop and pause during a busy day. Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!
    Why not just change the channel??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Aiel wrote: »
    I like the minute to stop and pause during a busy day. Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!

I take it you don't mind RTE being interrupted five more times a day for the Islamic call to prayer, then? After all, you can just change the channel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!
    Grand, if the RCC is allowed to broadcast its call to prayer on national television, then RTE should either (a) allow all other religious beliefs and non-beliefs to broadcast something of their choice too; or (b) stop allowing the RCC to broadcast its call to prayer.

What it can't do is provide privileged access to one group while denying access to everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Sam Kade wrote: »
    It's only a minute ffs, who watches rte at 6pm anyway?

nobody...because they know well to avoid the dreadful racket taking place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I like the minute
    to stop and pause during a busy day. Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast. Live and let Live!!
    This is the problem, and the argument put forward by supporters of the angelus which seems practical and fair; except it's not. You can enjoy the angelus and still see how it makes sense for it to be scrapped, similar to how one can be religious and still support separation of church and state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Your wish for it to not be broadcast is as valid as my wish that it should be broadcast.

No it's not, and this is the point. RTE is a state broadcaster, in a (supposedly) secular state, promoting one particular religion by having space for a catholic prayer twice a day. This is the problem. It is not a catholic station and yet is promoting catholicism, even if it is only for a couple of minutes a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is a lot more 'religious programming'* than the two minutes a day. Masses/services, Would You Believe, that Gay Byrne yoke, etc. Joe Duffy where anyone who says they don't want to send their child to a catholic school / do catholic sacraments is portrayed as some sort of sociopath.

* programmes in the schedule which are religious, not programming minds with religion - or is it?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

nobody...because they know well to avoid the dreadful racket taking place

So what's all the fuss about then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What do you think about replacing it with the Muslim call to prayer? Would you be so understanding and accepting then?

You can still stop and pause for that one min

robindch wrote: »
    Grand, if the RCC is allowed to broadcast its call to prayer on national television, then RTE should either (a) allow all other religious beliefs and non-beliefs to broadcast something of their choice too; or (b) stop allowing the RCC to broadcast its call to prayer.

What it can't do is provide privileged access to one group while denying access to everybody else.

If you as an atheist have a suggestion of something that sums you up then why not let RTE know what it is.

Do you have anything other than catty remarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

If you as an atheist have a suggestion of something that sums you up then why not let RTE know what it is.

Link to petition to scrap Angelus is in the first post on this thread.

Cabaal wrote: »
    What do you think about replacing it with the Muslim call to prayer? Would you be so understanding and accepting then?

You can still stop and pause for that one min

I would have no problem with the muslim call to prayer.What I do have a problem with is when people go out of their way to feel offended.

Do you have anything other than catty remarks?

What do you mean?

Your crappy one-liners, obviously.

There is a lot more 'religious programming'* than the two minutes a day. Masses/services, Would You Believe, that Gay Byrne yoke, etc. Joe Duffy where anyone who says they don't want to send their child to a catholic school / do catholic sacraments is portrayed as some sort of sociopath.

* programmes in the schedule which are religious, not programming minds with religion - or is it?

But you are living in a country that is 96% Christian. Are you suggesting the 1% that are non believers should dictate to the rest of the country?

• Advertisement

Your crappy one-liners, obviously.

Like the angelus on TV, you could choose not to read them but then again I get the feeling that you prefer to feel offended by them.

Advertisement