Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alive! Newspaper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Pews of the World (now discontinued)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Observant
    The Sunday Sheeple
    Dependent on Sunday
    The Star of Bethlehem

a rival to Genuflect!, Halo! Magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR AD HOMINEMS ELSEWHERE, SIR!

Dominos is the most delicious of the pizzas.

Obviously, you've never eaten from Uncle Pete's in Cork sir or madam. If you had you'd puke your Dominos pizzas right back up.

efb wrote: »
    Pews of the World (now discontinued)

Ah, now. They renamed it the Sunday Son and brought it back out on the quiet a few months later (after sacking all their Sunday staff, and forcing their weekday workers to work the extra day graits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guardian Angel

'GOODBYE!' Magazine (incorporating 'Did Ye Hear Who's Dead?')

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 more than S.A.D.

The Irish Tabernacle

(a tabernacle is a kind of press, right?)

Ah, now. They renamed it the Sunday Son and brought it back out on the quiet a few months later (after sacking all their Sunday staff, and forcing their weekday workers to work the extra day graits).

Work on a Sunday???

efb wrote: »
    Work on a Sunday???

They're not Charedim. They don't keep to the Law.

It's a schande vor dem Goyim, I know, but what are you going to do? Kids these days, they've no respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

krudler wrote: »
    Tabernacle Weekly?
    Priest's Own?
    "Genuflect!"

No. Actual catholic newspapers such As The Catholic Herald.

It's important, I'm sure you'll all agree to read outside of one's comfort zone. To broaden one's horizons.

• Advertisement

No. Actual catholic newspapers such As The Catholic Herald.

It's important, I'm sure you'll all agree to read outside of one's comfort zone. To broaden one's horizons.

I read Viz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, I think I'd rather not read deflective whataboutery about clerical abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR AD HOMINEMS ELSEWHERE, SIR!

Dominos is the most delicious of the pizzas.

I could really go for a dominus vobiscum....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I regarded delivery of Alive! as my community service. I was taking it and protecting some poor vulnerable soul from its contents. It gave me a laugh before contributing to the household heat. Haven't had a copy in ages though, and I could do with it now that the cold weather is back. How can I restart delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe you can sign up online for a copy?

Or better still, 1000 :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Came across the latest offering of this "newspaper" recently. It is alternately creepy and hilarious. The major theme running through the whole rag is that catholicism and catholics are being persecuted, and that the real enemy for them is secularism. (We're obviously getting to them).

Some of the salient points for anyone who can't bring themselves to read it..

- According to the editor "it's great to be a Catholic". Why? you may ask. Well, "Catholics belong to the one true Church", and "they have the certain hope of eternal life and happiness in heaven."

- Apparently, contraception is one of the main reasons for the growth of "the gay agenda". Because of the Pill, people now engage in DSS - deliberately sterile sex - and "once DSS is accepted between a man and a woman, how can it be rejected between two people of the same sex?......or between a brother and a sister?"

- Moanin' Mullen has a column this month. It is, predictably, about Christians being persecuted. To quote his Ronanness, "the basic facts are that most of the oppressed people in our world are Christian". He really said that, "most" are Christian.

- Apparently, Ireland has a state religion, and the religion is Secularism. There is no real attempt to support the idea that secularism is a "religion", it is simply stated. "Fundamentally," Alive tells us, "secularism is a religion of despair." Also, we learn that "Secularism, in fact, is a Christian heresy. ....it works, only because of the remaining traces of Catholicism it still contains." ????????????

This is another theme, of course. The Modern World is in despair, we are all on The Wrong Path. Naturally The Church has the answer.

It is like reading a report from a parallel universe. No mention of sex abuse, mother and baby homes, Magdalen launderies, or the fact that the church still controls 95% of primary schools. Horrifying and hilarious and kind of fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

robindch wrote: »
    Mod:OK, your post's been moved from AH, so their rules apply.

Here in A+A, though, you'll want to up your style before you post here again.

A revealing quotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

The publications of various religions make good pet bedding. /end.

That certainly does remind me of that uber-Catholic troll with the mis-spelt version of a Roman writer's name.

That certainly does remind me of that uber-Catholic troll with the mis-spelt version of a Roman writer's name.

Sorry. You'll need to be more specific...? :D

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Sorry. You'll need to be more specific...? :D

I'm 90% sure catallus has been banned from here. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to name and shame him here.

I'm 90% sure catallus has been banned from here. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to name and shame him here.

S'OK. Even AH doesn't take his messing seriously. And just to be on the safe side, 'AH' in this instance may in fact refer to a slight abbreviation of the renowned 80s Scandinavian synthpop trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

fisgon wrote: »

- According to the editor "it's great to be a Catholic". Why? you may ask. Well, "Catholics belong to the one true Church", and "they have the certain hope of eternal life and happiness in heaven."

A certain hope eh? :confused:

It's the best kind of hope I guess.

Roman traitor's name to be precise. I'm really proud of that little [sic], he's really done his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Was in my local Post Office today and saw a stack of these on a counter.

Anyone know if there are guidelines about what can and cannot be distributed or promoted in state post offices? I am certainly going to write to the PO head office to inquire.

BTW, I grabbed about twenty of them and took them with me. They are now nestling snugly in my recycling bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fisgon wrote: »

- Apparently, contraception is one of the main reasons for the growth of "the gay agenda". Because of the Pill, people now engage in DSS - deliberately sterile sex - and "once DSS is accepted between a man and a woman, how can it be rejected between two people of the same sex?......or between a brother and a sister?"

It's the way they have cold, hard inescapable logic on their side.

People decide to have sex -> decide to use contraception -> decide "jaysus, this is good, but not as good as gayness" and abandon relationship -> eventually decide to shag siblings, because contraception.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    People decide to have sex -> decide to use contraception -> decide "jaysus, this is good, but not as good as gayness" and abandon relationship -> eventually decide to shag siblings, because contraception.
    Have you considered a career in the promotion of religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I could have put this in any number of threads, but this should cover all. Got a chuckle out of it.

Warning: Doctor Who spoiler alert

330760.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well in fairness they're applying a fictional story from TV to their logic based on a fictional book written just over 1000 years ago. Two made up stories don't add up to truth to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I might have seen some copies in knock

Advertisement