Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IMDB New Look - whatcha think?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I really wish imdb would get rid of their forums, its troll central on there, ruins the site, which is a fantastic resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

krudler wrote: »
    I really wish imdb would get rid of their forums, its troll central on there, ruins the site, which is a fantastic resource.

Yeah this foruim is much better.

SMug-thumb-324x257-153830.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

basquille wrote: »
    If anyone wants to see a sample page for how it shows a film now.. I've uploaded a copy of the Batman Begins page to my webserver.

See here

I just checked the site too, it is a horrible new layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

In fairness to the forums I do ask questions on them that get proper answers amongst all the dirge posts, so they do provide a valuable service. It's a good central place if you want to ask more detailed questions about specific movies.

I'd be wasting my time asking them here for instance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ill close this thread, the new IMDB site is old news.

Any reason to keep the thread open, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for the PM Basquille. Thread re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bonerm wrote: »
    In fairness to the forums I do ask questions on them that get proper answers amongst all the dirge posts, so they do provide a valuable service. It's a good central place if you want to ask more detailed questions about specific movies.

I'd be wasting my time asking them here for instance.

How so? plenty of genuine film fans post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

They'll post but rarely is it worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They've ditched the new look thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Really? I'm still getting the new version, they should just run it as a beta for now and give people the choice of which version they want to use.

I like the new one but will take a bit of getting used to.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Really? I'm still getting the new version, they should just run it as a beta for now and give people the choice of which version they want to use.

I like the new one but will take a bit of getting used to.
    Hmmm.. I'm getting the new version now too! :confused:

Odd, I went to the site on my iPad this morning and it was the old layout. Maybe needed to clear the cache on my iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Old version back too for me, phew.

Felt like I was looking at the shortlived version through binoculars and I'm using a large enough resolution. If people have bad eyesight they can lower their resolution.

IMDb have their own standalone app too for iPhones / iPads so there was no excuse for it.

If they want to improve something, they should have a look at their "recommendations" section - Amazon's is far more comprehensive with genuinely useful suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Still the new version for me.

And I like the new look, esp the quick links immediately to the right hand side on each films' page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Well you don't have to visit them... I quite enjoy some of them... I don't see how getting rid of them would improve IMDB

Though they are shaight structurally though. Need stuff like ability to sticky as you see a lot of the same questions repeated. And if there is a long conversation, each post indents until eventually every post is in the right-hand corner only a couple of letters wide. (If they were going to update the look of IMDB this is the first place they should have tackled)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

hate hate hate the new lay out. i thought i'd messed up with the screen settings at first. please say it's only a trial and it'll be back to normal asap. it was perfectly easy to use in its previous form. now its like its uber magnified ! Not happy !

https://secure.imdb.com/register-imdb/siteprefs

Just use this - select the first option and click ok. Brings it back to the old style.

Thanks for that Renn..

.. it doesn't affect the horrific front-page but individual movies / filmographys (etc) are back to normal.

Shame I'm rarely signed in on IMDb! :(

Yeah it's a bit of a pain but I'm thinking they'll revert back soon enough. I haven't used the site much at all since the change and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. Horrible design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Thanks Renn, that's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

I really do hope they revert back to the old design soon, good grief its awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I dont like at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thats jaysus awful. Thanks Ren for the heads up.

Looks geared towards mobiles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know why websites are so insistent on changing what works. It's the same with metacritics at the moment - like the 'new' IMDB, I'm more reluctant to visit them because I know it's going to take me longer to get to what I want.

IMDB is a database by design. It doesn't need to be slick! Basic and effective ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

The internet has caused me to get upset by change and insanely impatient! I felt like I was scrolling for an hour to get to my beloved trivia page.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

There is one simple change they could make that would be a huge help. Auto-focus in the search box. I'm so used to opening google and typing away I expect the same from sites especially like imdb where 9 times out of 10 I'm there to search. Scratch that probably 10 out of 10.

Advertisement