Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Nonsense.ie?

• 17-06-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

IT's insurance time of the year once again. Previously, I've just paid for a named driver policy on one of my parents' cars but this year, I'm going to take out my own insurance policy.

Currently, the car is insured with Allianz but the quote they gave me seems pretty steep (nearly 800 euro with the extras) and I'm sure I can get a better deal than that. To that end, I got a quote from no-nonsense and it came in at just under 500 euro (with the useful things like breakdown assistance and the like). That's a big gap and I'm tempted to go with them but I thought I'd see what the experiences of others might tell.

Put simply, is no-nonsense any good or are they a company to be avoided?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

they're FBD, ok to be fair.......the no nonscense brand they run in a stripped down, no frills policy issuer ......just double check all the cover you've been quoted for again.

In the event of a claim, they may pay out pre-maturely and it could damage your NCB (if you were at fault or even not @ fault), they have bad form in this respect, but then again, the same can be said for many insurers out there.......I guess you pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Is the vehicles registered in your name OP or belong to one of your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think they are a bunch of tossers. I couldnt get cover on a S40 diesel as it was deemed an effing sports car.
    Clowns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bear1 wrote: »
    I think they are a bunch of tossers. I couldnt get cover on a S40 diesel as it was deemed an effing sports car.
    Clowns

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

If you do go with no nonsense. Look into top driver. Its an app you download and once you do 800km you can get a discount of up to 15% I've downloaded it and got 5 out of 5 for the journeys so far and I wouldn't say I'm the beat driver ever. You can get up to another 15% off if you install some device into your car. I'm hoping you can just get the 15% off with the app and not worry about the other 15% as I don't want anything installed on my car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    If you do go with no nonsense. Look into top driver. Its an app you download and once you do 800km you can get a discount of up to 15% I've downloaded it and got 5 out of 5 for the journeys so far and I wouldn't say I'm the beat driver ever. You can get up to another 15% off if you install some device into your car. I'm hoping you can just get the 15% off with the app and not worry about the other 15% as I don't want anything installed on my car

What does the app do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Clowns
    I think you'll find that their problem was with the proposer rather than the car. ;)

Out of curiosity:

I'm with AXA currently and for a Volvo S40 diesel with a named driver I'm paying 1100e fully comp.
    I put in my details again and get a quote of 860e fully comp. Can I call them up and say basically wtf?

I think you'll find that their problem was with the proposer rather than the car.

Jeez you go to prison for drink driving and all of a sudden you're a danger on the road pff :D

Out of curiosity:

I'm with AXA currently and for a Volvo S40 diesel with a named driver I'm paying 1100e fully comp.
    I put in my details again and get a quote of 860e fully comp. Can I call them up and say basically wtf?
    Call them and tell them that a different company offered you the same cover for €750. Be very nice, say that you'd really like to stay with them, but that you just can't afford the extra. If they don't get under the €860 and you can't get cheaper cover elsewhere then just take the online quote.

• Advertisement

Does it matter that my insurance with them ends in October? Obviously thew new rate would be for after my current one expires

EDIT: btw it was AXA themselves offering me a lower quote...

Does it matter that my insurance with them ends in October? Obviously thew new rate would be for after my current one expires
    Did you not have to give your renewal date for the online quote? Usually ins cos will only quote a month before renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

djimi wrote: »
    What does the app do?

It tracks your driving speed/acceleration. They make it out to be all sophisticated and after you do 80km they give you tips how to improve and rate your driving based on pace, calmness, smoothness and anticipation.

Seems quite easy to do well.

Did you not have to give your renewal date for the online quote? Usually ins cos will only quote a month before renewal

I just typed in the 1st of July just to get a flavour of what I may be paying after october

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

EDIT: btw it was AXA themselves offering me a lower quote...

Did you use the same NCB that you used at the start of your current year, or were you looking as if your current year was about to end and counting another year of NCB?

Did you use the same NCB that you used at the start of your current year, or were you looking as if your current year was about to end and counting another year of NCB?

Yes I used the same NCB I had at the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Thanks for the replies everyone, they were helpful.

To answer a question above, the vehicle is registered in my father's name, would that have any bearing on the insurance?

RichardAnd wrote: »
    To answer a question above, the vehicle is registered in my father's name, would that have any bearing on the insurance?
    Many ins cos will want the car to be registered in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

I find them very cheap for the basic fire and theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

Clowns

They were cheapest for me on a 3 litre with 3 years NCB, so it must be you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

fbd gave me a better quote than nononsense

They were cheapest for me on a 3 litre with 3 years NCB, so it must be you...

Unusual, clean driving record with a clean license. Every other ins gave me a quote...
    Besides, I would imagine they would just tell me straight up rather than tell me its the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

They're the same as fbd. It seems unless you drive a underpowered paddy spec they don't want your business.
    Last time I got a quote from them got condescending nonesense about my car being a "sports car" despite being with fbd from start with no claims and points. Got insurance for nearly half through a broker.

Advertisement