Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Applied Maths * predictions / discussion / aftermath (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭japester

Very good advice for applied maths exam is to make sure you write down the equations of motion/force in the various questions correctly e.g. in collisions, get the PCM and NEL right (in the log book also), in the kinematics get the equations of motion right (in the log book too) as they are worth a good chunk of the marks - the manipulation of equations to get the final results, while it may take a lot of time & effort, is generally not worth a lot of the marks overall and people invariable get bogged down, even though they may have just made a small arithmetical slip or blunder in a formula. Take some time to pick out your best question and then attempt this first. Definitely move on your next best question after 25 minutes have elapsed, irrespective of how far you have got with it. The 2.5 hours goes very fast and 6 questions is a fair amount of work to do. Q10 (a) may well be the best question to start with if you can integrate, as it is varies little from year to year, also Q10(b) usually is very predictable involving variable forces, acceleration, velocity, displacement etc. I have a feeling that a study of hydrostatics could pay dividends if people took the time to look at it, as there is not a massive amount of material to cover. Hope this info helps someone out there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Anybody else well and truely fúcked for this?! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

Anybody else well and truely fúcked for this?! :O

That's an understatement to say the least :(
    But it's the last one and there's a night of drinking ahead so I'm not letting it bother me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pegmin

Its difficult to stay focused for this when the finish is so close...(O.o)

Hoping a nice Q7 will come up!=)

yannfann wrote: »
    That's an understatement to say the least :(
    But it's the last one and there's a night of drinking ahead so I'm not letting it bother me :D

I have seriously neglected it and I need a B2... Won't get that obviously! :(

But yes, Friday Night...... Cannot wait! :D

• Advertisement

I have seriously neglected it and I need a B2... Won't get that obviously! :(

But yes, Friday Night...... Cannot wait! :D

Most of the marks go for setting up the questions though, so once you get the equations written out you should be close enough to a b2 :) and then some attempt marks from trying to work them out youll be grand!
    I'm so tempted to go out thursday night too because all my friends are finished then :/ Buuuuuut past experiences tell me maths isn't too easy hungover xD

Most of the marks go for setting up the questions though, so once you get the equations written out you should be close enough to a b2 :) and then some attempt marks from trying to work them out youll be grand!
    I'm so tempted to go out thursday night too because all my friends are finished then :/ Buuuuuut past experiences tell me maths isn't too easy hungover xD

Haha, bad idea me thinks..! Especially when it's a morning exam..! The old 'Ah sure I'll only go out for one, I'll be home by 12'' never works! :P

It sucks, all my friends have finished today, or earlier! :(

Haha, bad idea me thinks..! Especially when it's a morning exam..! The old 'Ah sure I'll only go out for one, I'll be home by 12'' never works! :P

It sucks, all my friends have finished today, or earlier! :(

Sure why not just stay out all night and stumble into the exam in the morning :D Perfect solution methinks :L Hmmm I'm lucky though, I dont need applied maths for points! :)

Sure why not just stay out all night and stumble into the exam in the morning :D Perfect solution methinks :L Hmmm I'm lucky though, I dont need applied maths for points! :)

I do..! :( I dropped History in school (did App Maths out side of school) because it was such a tediously boring subject (and the teacher was dreadful!). I don't regret dropping History, I regret not doing something else at the start!

I do pass Irish, so Applied Maths is one of my 6 honours..! I never covered collisions in the class I went to (I stopped going after Easter) so I get stuck in the b parts..! :(

Haha.. Spoz I get stuck in the whole paper really..! :L

I do..! :( I dropped History in school (did App Maths out side of school) because it was such a tediously boring subject (and the teacher was dreadful!). I don't regret dropping History, I regret not doing something else at the start!

I do pass Irish, so Applied Maths is one of my 6 honours..! I never covered collisions in the class I went to (I stopped going after Easter) so I get stuck in the b parts..! :(

Haha.. Spoz I get stuck in the whole paper really..! :L

I may as well have dropped history and done pass Irish for all the good they are to me points-wise :/ Made a total mess of both the papers! Expecting d's in each :/ but I'm grand with the other 5 i've done so far so all I want is to pass Applied maths now :)
    http://thephysicsteacher.ie/appliedmathshome.html
    I found this useful for getting a grasp on collisions. If you havent seen it before give it a glance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

I found this useful for getting a grasp on collisions. If you havent seen it before give it a glance!
    This dude, for the sections he has actually covered, is a wonder. I was barely able to do a nice q10a before, and now i breeze through most q10s. He's a massive help.

For proofs/theorems - our teacher just told us learn what was in the book and write that out, DID NOT teach them to us, and the book was more of an explaination so that we could understand what was going on, not a concise proof.

If anyone has these down, or a link where i could find them, that'd be fantastic, cos i really don't know if what i write for them is correct.

I may as well have dropped history and done pass Irish for all the good they are to me points-wise :/ Made a total mess of both the papers! Expecting d's in each :/ but I'm grand with the other 5 i've done so far so all I want is to pass Applied maths now :)

Yeah I have them notes but didn't think they were that great..!

Yeah I've been so happy so far with everything, except Pass Irish, so I need to do well in this or else I'll be counting Irish..!

This dude, for the sections he has actually covered, is a wonder. I was barely able to do a nice q10a before, and now i breeze through most q10s. He's a massive help.

For proofs/theorems - our teacher just told us learn what was in the book and write that out, DID NOT teach them to us, and the book was more of an explaination so that we could understand what was going on, not a concise proof.

If anyone has these down, or a link where i could find them, that'd be fantastic, cos i really don't know if what i write for them is correct.
    Proofs/theorems? eh whaaat ? I've never heard of such a thing in Applied maths :s
    Yeah I have them notes but didn't think they were that great..!

Yeah I've been so happy so far with everything, except Pass Irish, so I need to do well in this or else I'll be counting Irish..!
    Well collisions part b is till only 1/12 of the exam! So you could still easily get the b2!

Proofs/theorems? eh whaaat ? I've never heard of such a thing in Applied maths :s
    There's five or six of them, in statics only. About Lamini (pl lamina?) and forces.

There's five or six of them, in statics only. About Lamini (pl lamina?) and forces.

Oh I avoid statics like the plague :S Worst of the 8 I know!
    I'll just do 1,2,3,4,5,10 and run out of the exam screaming in delight ^^

Dude statics are EEAASY...(usually xD)

I bet you say the same about projectiles but they NEVER work out for me, so i havn't done them in about 8 months..

Dude statics are EEAASY...(usually xD)

I bet you say the same about projectiles but they NEVER work out for me, so i havn't done them in about 8 months..

I'm fine with all questions that aren't statics :P and now these proofs are putting me further off them! :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lufc1993

ive covered 9 topics all apart from hydro stuff... but have no idea which ones to do nd dont want to run out of time tryin to do them all any advice on which ones to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Are people predicting this paper to be easy or hard? Last years paper was a cinch in comparison to other years.. let's hope it's just getting easier cause I am hopeless at questions from earlier years! If it's anything like the first maths paper this year, I am going to die. I won't be able to cope with anything anymore and my heart will just stop beating.

only the standard "read all before hand and pick those you've seen before". Read all of them though as there is usually a twist in the fine print of the question, or at the very end.

On the other hand, do questions 7 and 10. Apparently very few do 7 so there's never much of a challenge put into it (says my teacher.... seems reliable enough from past papers), and as another poster said above, 10 is often mostly doable. (That said, setting up the equations to part b can be a giant pain sometimes...).

Do 2 and/or 3 if you are good at them. Personally i am good at 2 but not 3, so i'll defo be doing two unless its impossibly different from previous years.

1...really depends. Sometimes can be lovely, sometimes like maths they reckon everyone will start with it so they throw in something to catch most people out. Read it thoroughly. I'll probably have to rely on this regardles..:/

• Advertisement

aranciata wrote: »
    Are people predicting this paper to be easy or hard? Last years paper was a cinch in comparison to other years.. let's hope it's just getting easier cause I am hopeless at questions from earlier years! If it's anything like the first maths paper this year, I am going to die. I won't be able to cope with anything anymore and my heart will just stop beating.
    WEeeellll apparently, there was a new chief exam setter (is that the word?) for applied maths installed last year, and he made it too easy. So if he wants to keep his job its gonna be like the pres and a right cúnt(i.e. v difficult)

WEeeellll apparently, there was a new chief exam setter (is that the word?) for applied maths installed last year, and he made it too easy. So if he wants to keep his job its gonna be like the pres and a right cúnt(i.e. v difficult)

Dear God. I don't care if the marking scheme will be lethal, I just want a paper I don't come out of upset/crying/devastated/traumatised..

Dear God. I don't care if the marking scheme will be lethal, I just want a paper I don't come out of upset/crying/devastated/traumatised..

I'm coming out of that paper happy, regardless of the result, it means the LC is finally over. Well so long as I pass :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HOPEd

Anyóne got any tips how to get an A1 in applied maths?? I really need it badly ...

Doing Q10 in 2008. For the first part you have to find P.

In the question they worked out F=MA (where A is in V), The Vs cancelled leaving P = 3200.

What I did was, we are told the engine exerts a constant power P and it is traveling on a straight level track. From this I said A=0, worked out that to get a value of V and put it in to F=MA.

I got the right answer (and I know it's a longer method) but the marking scheme doesn't have my method (I checked the alternative solutions as well)...

Would I still get marks for that?

Doing Q10 in 2008. For the first part you have to find P.

In the question they worked out F=MA (where A is in V), The Vs cancelled leaving P = 3200.

What I did was, we are told the engine exerts a constant power P and it is traveling on a straight level track. From this I said A=0, worked out that to get a value of V and put it in to F=MA.

I got the right answer (and I know it's a longer method) but the marking scheme doesn't have my method (I checked the alternative solutions as well)...

Would I still get marks for that?

Yeah you'll get the marks i'd say. My teacher has his own methods that he taught us himself, some are easier and some are a little longer but they always work.. and they're all i know!

So screwed for this exam.

Yeah you'll get the marks i'd say. My teacher has his own methods that he taught us himself, some are easier and some are a little longer but they always work.. and they're all i know!

So screwed for this exam.

Join the club..! :P But This time tomorrow.... We'll be finished forever! :D:D

Join the club..! :P But This time tomorrow.... We'll be finished forever! :D:D

Eh, not me I think! More like 2 months of torture & anxiety, then another 9 months of the LC! FML.

Eh, not me I think! More like 2 months of torture & anxiety, then another 9 months of the LC! FML.

I think everybody is saying that..! It's 7 weeks and 6 days until results..! :P

• Advertisement

Those are gonna be 7 long weeks!
    I can take small comfort in that this week is finally ending, it's just been horrible..

Advertisement