Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car buffing, Reconditioning Paint Work

• 01-02-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where (near Dublin) i could get my car professionally buffed? Few minor scratches and marks and paint if looking a bit dull. Needs to be lightly cut into and polished.

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

go to www.permashine.ie
    well worth it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

theres a new place near the richmond road oposite the esso garage and there doinf full valet pretty cheap, i think its about 60quid to have the car detailed from top to bottom, that might be a trade price though, not sure if he does it for people comming in off the street, in which case just tell him you were on to him and he quoted ya 60quid, their the type you can haggle with.,

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

roughan wrote: »
    go to www.permashine.ie
    well worth it

That's a film over the paint - hardly going to remove scratches on the paint work. I'd be skeptical of the effect of having that on the paint - long term.

OP - a full correction to remove defects/scratches will take 8-12 hours to do properly, so don't be pulled in by any of the 60euro for full job merchants. You are only going to have to pay to have their buffer trails removed afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

does anyone know somewhere to take swirls out of the paintwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

quarryman wrote: »
    does anyone know somewhere to take swirls out of the paintwork?

err did you check the link above ur post? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Seperate wrote: »
    That's a film over the paint - hardly going to remove scratches on the paint work. I'd be skeptical of the effect of having that on the paint - long term.

OP - a full correction to remove defects/scratches will take 8-12 hours to do properly, so don't be pulled in by any of the 60euro for full job merchants. You are only going to have to pay to have their buffer trails removed afterwards!

If you read the website it eliminates swirl marks
    i have had it done and highly reccommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

just buy yourself a paint buffer for around 30 or 40 in halfords, and a bottle of T-cut. it works a charm. I had a car and the paint looked so faded it was disgusting. gave it a T-cut and the paint work was restored. The results were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

sc4rf4ce wrote: »
    just buy yourself a paint buffer for around 30 or 40 in halfords, and a bottle of T-cut. it works a charm. I had a car and the paint looked so faded it was disgusting. gave it a T-cut and the paint work was restored. The results were amazing.

Absolutely 100% do not follow that advise. You will be left with buffer trails and swirls imbedded into paintwork. The 'buffers' in halfords do more damage then good!

Google Port Cable 7424 or Ultimate Detailing Machine if you want to buy your own machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ah. I saw a fancy flash site loading and forgot about it.

so it repairs swirls eh? The price list link seems to do nothing for me. Anyone know how much it costs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

thats a blatant attempt at spamming and getting free advertisment if every ive seen one., I work in crash repairs and have to polish cars a lot. and No, I dont leave any swirls in the paint or damage it at all and just because the above reccomentation i gave costs 60quid doesnt mean it will be a sub standard job., in my experience with them they have been pretty good.,;)
    unless you are going to offer the OP advice on doing it for less/free then theres no reason why you would come on saying "not" how to do it.,;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

quarryman wrote: »
    ah. I saw a fancy flash site loading and forgot about it.

so it repairs swirls eh? The price list link seems to do nothing for me. Anyone know how much it costs?

You can rent my porter cable 7424 and 110V transformer from me if you want it for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

Absolutely 100% do not follow that advise. You will be left with buffer trails and swirls imbedded into paintwork. The 'buffers' in halfords do more damage then good!

Google Port Cable 7424 or Ultimate Detailing Machine if you want to buy your own machine!

well of course youre entitled to your opinion separate. But based on my experience with the T-cut and buffer I would reccomend that option as I was left with no trails or swirls of any kind. As long as you keep plenty of water on the paint work whilst applying the t-cut it will not burn the paint work or create any swirls or marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Lads, if you think you are going to remove swirl marks by hand you are in cloud cuckoo land. If you think T-Cut and a cheap polisher is going to do it, think again. Even with the right polisher and polishes it could take you many months of practice to even acquire the skills to remove them.

Permashine covers up swirls, not removes them. They will return at some stage down the line. Not worth paying E300 or 400 for that.

T-cut is so old fashioned and outdated it is a joke. It may cut paint but it will not remove swirls properly. Even the gloss it creates is very average compared with all modern polishes and compounds.

And if anyone thinks a E60 valet is a detail, well that is laughable. And if any bodyshop over here can polish paint without leaving holograms and buffer trails (under halogen lighting) or are arsed enough to spend the required time, I would be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Scarey talk on this thread!

How do folks propose to re-seal the paint and give it back its protection after cutting it with T-Cut? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Use a finishing polish and then a sealant and a wax if you really must.

smartcarcare.ie, detailer.ie and micksgarage.ie are the only three shops in Ireland (albeit online) who sell top quality products to the general public. Halfords are alright for basic stuff, but not for polishes and waxes. And motor factors sell more of the same, apart from the odd professional stuff which is best avoided by the inexperienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Lauder wrote: »
    Does anyone know where (near Dublin) i could get my car professionally buffed? Few minor scratches and marks and paint if looking a bit dull. Needs to be lightly cut into and polished.

Cheers,

Detailer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Mayshine wrote: »
    You can rent my porter cable 7424 and 110V transformer from me if you want it for the weekend

Hmmm ... sounds interesting.. how much do you charge for a w/e?
    Do you supply pads and compounds as well?
    TIA

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm, Ive a couple of light scratches, and also a piece (1" x 1") on the boot where the badge came off and left it dodgy looking. Would a good polish (professionaly) fix them? Ive no swirl marks. Always hand done.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Detailer.ie

+1

I've seen his work, its fantastic !

Advertisement