Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Whats the mental state of a Pilot when performing a go-around/touch and go?
    Its something they train for and plan for each time they make an approach.
    A mate of mine refers to a landing as a "failed go around"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

A good question but very badly put! You would be best asking what is the thought process involved in a missed approach.

During every briefing for landing the published missed approach profile will be discussed ( engine fail procedure also) and relevant threats highlighted.

It can be quite simple. If the weather for instance goes out of limits or if the approach becomes de-stabilised as in the video above, then it is an automatic go around - it's the law according to our SOP's.

It can also occur if for example clearance to land is given and another aircraft enters the active runway. The safest option is to carry out a go around and argue about the whys and why nots later.

Another example would be a bounce on landing which will de-stabilise the approach. This can be a snap decision by the Captain. But again it is an automatic thought process. The procedures are practiced in the sim numerous times every six months. Or you can get them on the line as my two examples above which happened in an 8 day period:)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Mental state? Same as when landing, taking off, in the cruise etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is it honestly worth the cost and effort of getting a commercial pilots licence nowadays? On top of them costs you'd have to pay for college to do another course anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Is it honestly worth the cost and effort of getting a commercial pilots licence nowadays? On top of them costs you'd have to pay for collage to do another course anyway.

I love a nice collage. Very pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is it honestly worth the cost and effort of getting a commercial pilots licence nowadays?
    If you luck out and end up in the right place, the answer is a resounding HELL YES.....

And even eatmyshorts gets to earn enough to increase the size of his art collection :)

smurfjed wrote: »

And even eatmyshorts gets to earn enough to increase the size of his art collection :)

I'm no Sister Wendy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Some real basics here so apologies in advance, I should have picked up more by now :o

Are there any specific reasons to request full length of the runway aside from maximum flexibility or having an aircraft that requires it?

Why would you request a VOR approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

fr336 wrote: »
    Some real basics here so apologies in advance, I should have picked up more by now :o

Are there any specific reasons to request full length of the runway aside from maximum flexibility or having an aircraft that requires it?

The only times I've requested a VOR approach is for practice or if it's a choice between a VOR and a NDB.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

fr336 wrote: »

Three most useless things in aviation: runway behind you, airspace above you and fuel in the bowser.

Full length for performance, more weight off the runway, better reduced thrust for takeoff, increased stopping distance available...

You can request a VOR approach for training, or if you can't do an RNAV approach, or even if you just want to do one for the hell of it!

I imagine if its 34 in Dublin you are referring to, not all of the aircraft or operators are equipped or certified for the RNAV approach. The aircraft could also be carrying a snag that prohibits it from performing the RNAV approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

MoeJay wrote: »
    Three most useless things in aviation: runway behind you, airspace above you and fuel in the bowser.

Full length for performance, more weight off the runway, better reduced thrust for takeoff, increased stopping distance available...

You can request a VOR approach for training, or if you can't do an RNAV approach, or even if you just want to do one for the hell of it!

I imagine if its 34 in Dublin you are referring to, not all of the aircraft or operators are equipped or certified for the RNAV approach. The aircraft could also be carrying a snag that prohibits it from performing the RNAV approach.

Thanks so much :)

FR336, do you know the difference between a VOR and a ILS approach or do you want us to explain?
    Are there any specific reasons to request full length of the runway
    Another reason would be lack of performance data for the intersection departure point.

FR336, do you know the difference between a VOR and a ILS approach or do you want us to explain?

I don't know about FR336, but I don't, what's a VOR approach? (I know what ILS is)

An ILS uses two radio beams to provide lateral and vertical navigation down to a runway end, they are extremely accurate and depending on the class of ILS, ie, 1 /2 /3 A,B,C, they can allow an aircraft to land with very little visibility. Due to the requirements to maintain the equipment, ILS's are expensive installations and there are strict rules regarding their use.

An VOR approach is based only on lateral guidance, the crew has to manually control the vertical descent profile. The lateral beam can be taken from a VOR, so this cuts down on the costs associated with maintaining the system. Apart from the cost benefits, a VOR approach allows the variable gradients, for Kathmandu airport the approach gradients are 5.3 degrees followed by 3 degrees, this couldnt be done with a ILS.

The downside is that due to the lack or accuracy, a VOR approach has higher weather limits, for Dublin RWY 28, the ILS allows a decision height of 200 feet and a RVR of 550 meters, for the VOR approach you would need 448 feet and 1400 meters, so for those foggy days, the VOR isnt going to be of much help!

With the relatively recent introduction of RNAV, crews can use the RNAV system to assist them with the VOR approach, but only if overlays are permitted by the local authorities, and only to limits that are slightly above those for the actual VOR approach itself.

Now what on earth is a NDB :):):) Last time i flew one of those was in Waterford where i really discovered the impact of coastal refraction!

Waterford where i really discovered the impact of coastal refraction!

Prestwick!!

LOL...... when is the last time that you flew a NDB approach for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Coastal refraction?

This man explains it a lot better than i can :)

http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/navigation/shoreline-effect/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Excellent, cheers!

Good Luck to anyone flying 8th and 9th.....
    In regards of the French ATC Strike on the 8th and 9th April, please find the latest information from the last call conference with Eurocontrol :

- Attached to this mail you will find the released NOTAM (F0606 and A1329)
    - DSNA confirm the strike for tomorrow and Paris ACC will be impacted. They expect a large impact on the 8th April but a minimum service should be done on the 9th.

Two major factors will determine your flight, the presence of an ATC agent at the tower who will be the only one to accept a landing and a departure, and the second is the ACC regulations.

The situation can improve or not at every ATC shift change. Tomorrow the first change will be at 05:15 UTC, around this time we will be able to determine if landing and take-off are allowed for the next 4h. Please note that even if an agent is working at the ATC, you will have to handle with your CTOT which could have a high delay according to the strike impact in Paris ACC or the other FIR (Marseille ACC is supposed to be also well impacted).

At 09:30 UTC, the DSNA will make a call conference in order to determine the impact for the 9th April. Eurocontrol will also have a call conference but the timing is not known yet.

We remain at your disposal for any information but just keep in mind that the situation can improve or not at any time according to the ATC Staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm a complete newbie to this world of aviation. I listen to the liveatc while looking at FR24 which I find fascinating. My question is, when ATC give wind direction and speed on approach, what does the angle reference from? Due north or the heading of the runway?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm a complete newbie to this world of aviation. I listen to the liveatc while looking at FR24 which I find fascinating. My question is, when ATC give wind direction and speed on approach, what does the angle reference from? Due north or the heading of the runway?

It's referenced to Magnetic North.

The wind direction is reported by ATC from a direction with reference to Magnetic north. The angle is then worked out by the pilots to ascertain what the headwind and crosswind component is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks, and is it clockwise? e.g. wind angle 270degrees for Runway 28 at DUB would be head-on (or thereabouts)?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Yep, clockwise like a compass rose.

Try this http://www.aeroplanner.com/calculators/avcalcdrift.cfm you can work out headwind and crosswinds.

I've always wondered this, have anyone of ye had a scheduled passenger flight with a really really really bad Load Factor? Below 50%?

I've always wondered this, have anyone of ye had a scheduled passenger flight with a really really really bad Load Factor? Below 50%?

59 pax on a 360 seat aircraft a few weeks ago.

After the Christmas season can be quiet. 9 pax outbound but a full load coming back. Swings and roundabouts sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Malaga to Dublin one Christmas eve with the grand total of 1 passenger....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been one of 4 on a 72 seat ATR, last evening (return to base basically) BLL-CPH commuter flight. Whether 4 pax cover the cost differences between selling the flight or just deadheading is probably questionable, particularly as I think I paid about €20.

edit: no, that was actually CPH-MAN that cost 20, it was €43 fare and €33.48 taxes/charges so they probably got €170 total or so off the 4 of us.

Advertisement