Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Walking Dead Episode Discussion - SPOILERS ABOUND!

• 08-11-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Alrighty - so we don't spoil anything for anyone on the other thread that is not up to date on current Walking Dead episodes, feel free to post about specific parts of The Walking Dead for discussion here.

NOTE - ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!

This is for seasons 1 and 2 discussions only. Keep Season 3 chat to the Season 3 thread PLEASE!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581290

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

So - how come Rick didn't have nasty crap all over him when he wakes up? Did he have a catheter in or something? Not trying to be gross - just something I noticed.

I also wonder how long it had been since the outbreak - how long had he been laying there w/ no food or water.

And I LOVE this show - not baggin' on it. Just things I notice while watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

weh hey !!

right, the clothes i was talking about were the combat type stuff they were wearing when they first encountered the sheriff tonight, they were well padded out with knee and body pads, i was thinking, nice. base ball bats too lol

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    So - how come Rick didn't have nasty crap all over him when he wakes up? Did he have a catheter in or something? Not trying to be gross - just something I noticed.

I also wonder how it had been since the outbreak - how long had he been laying there w/ no food or water.

And I LOVE this show - not baggin' on it. Just things I notice while watching.

ya they never tell him how long its been since the out break, it cant have been too long though. i was trying to guess by the withered flowers by his bed side. when flowers completely wither do they crumble up and completely fall apart ? if so how long does that take ..hmm, might go googling

ShadowGal wrote: »
    weh hey !!

right, the clothes i was talking about were the combat type stuff they were wearing when they first encountered the sheriff tonight, they were well padded out with knee and body pads, i was thinking, nice. base ball bats too lol

Ohhh... THOSE clothes. :)

Yeah that was pretty nifty gear. It gave them protection where they needed it. The bats sure worked well. Not great long term but sure nice to have about.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

I only found out at the last minute reading a newspaper review.

Ok my 2 cents ,have only watched the first episode unless some of you are following the states show times.
    Hospital scenario - ok not original but then again trying to get a opening of a movie or in this case the series up and running is not easy to pull off.
    Slow to start off with which was great! Its best to get a feel of whats happening besides zombie attacks from the start.
    They dont just show the horror of the outbreak , theres a deeper showing with characters survival making tough decisions
    The legless woman in the park was an amazing bit of footage.
    The end was just epic , that all i can say is epic.

Right at the end with the radio message in the tank left you reeling for nxt weeks story.:D

Zombie fanatic:P

• Advertisement

We're a bit a head of things as we're talking about episode 2 a bit. Mix of US and other viewers...

Just found this on zombieresearch.net:

"AMC’s groundbreaking zombie drama, The Walking Dead, continued to fly high in it second week. New characters, plot twists, and conflicts drove the action, but it’s what we learned about the undead horde itself that was most revealing.

Here’s a basic breakdown of The Walking Dead zombies:
    • They don’t just walk, instead speeding up when excited by food
    • They eat anything living within reach, not just humans
    • They hunt primarily by smell, also using sight and hearing
    • They can climb fences, and overcome complex obstacles
    • They use tools and weapons, and seem able to learn
    • They don’t moan, instead using vocalization as an alert
    George A. Romero invented the modern zombie in 1968, and AMC’s take falls nicely in line with much of the master’s original vision.
    In the era of sprinting zombies, sparkling vampires, and wizards with their own theme park rides, it’s refreshing to see that zombie traditions are being honored on the small screen.
    If you haven’t checked it out already, The Walking Dead is a must-watch program for any true zombie enthusiast."

Good stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

walking dead absolutly rocks and iv seen on the net its been picked up for a second (and longer) season as well thank god finally a decent american horror show to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Looks a good show so far. At least the buggers dont run like in 28 days later. Now THAT freaked me out. And both have similar openings. What i didnt like was the way the zombies took the horse but not the sheriff. What was that about? And i keep expecting his wife to go off looking for Michael from prison break:D:D:D:D

The horse just has more meat on it than a human! :) That bit freaked me out and they did a helluva job on making that look real. Man...

On the similarities of the beginning w/ 28 Days Later. I did some reading on that and it sounds like they are genuniely unconnected. 28 Days came out roughly 2 months before the first issue of the The Walking Dead hit stores. The Walking Dead stories, etc had already been written by that time - the books just weren't in stores. So it looks like true coincidence that they both picked similar ways to start a kick ass zombie story...

GOOD NEWS - A SECOND SEASON HAS ALREADY BEEN PICKED UP!!!!
    Per Robert Kirkman:
    http://twitter.com/RobertKirkman/status/1770681343676416

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but wasn't Resident Evil out before that and that started with Alice waking up in a medical room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

Skerries wrote: »
    but wasn't Resident Evil out before that and that started with Alice waking up in a medical room?

No she woke up in the bedroom of a large house that had been constructed underground by the umbrella corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm not sure where I stand on that episode, I'll have to wait and see weather I approve of these tool using zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

not going to spoil anything or have hidden spoilers that might tempt people to take a look.. but fcuk me.. was episode2 TENSE or what?! man i'm lovin' it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i haven't read the comics but is main dude a Z?
    it's the only way that i can see that he can wake up months after a major apocalypse and still be alive without food or water and he seems to be having a problem with his hand shaking
    could he be some kind of hybrid because of the way he died?

No he seems to be a regular joe. Unsure how he stayed alive so long laying in bed...

The tool using zombies - What I noticed was a Z w/ a rock pounding on a door. That's all I've noticed for actual tool using. Don't have a big issue just yet but if they start using guns... :)

The tool using zombies - What I noticed was a Z w/ a rock pounding on a door. That's all I've noticed for actual tool using. Don't have a big issue just yet but if they start using guns... :)
    There was the rock zombie, others tried to open doors, the fence climbing zombie was a step to far.

Yeah I agree w/ that. And the escape ladder climbing zombie - was not a fan of that either.

Again - don't get me wrong - I really dig the show. Just nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

How long has the z outbreak being going on? Did they ever say? For the whole hospital scenario to work it mustve been less than a week? Didn't take long for his tramp of a missus to move on or for the group to get so organised. I've read the first 2 comics online and there are slight diffrences so far but still love the show. As for the intelligient climbing and tool using zeds, im still undecided.

Yeah I agree w/ that. And the escape ladder climbing zombie - was not a fan of that either.

Again - don't get me wrong - I really dig the show. Just nitpicking.
    I could see how a zombie might end up with a stone in his hand and coincidence could have lead him to be the first one at the door. But knowing American TV it's probably going to escalate as they go for more scares.

That's my main problem with that episode they where going for typical Hollywood scares rather than stick with the basics of people caught in a zombie horde.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Alrighty - so we don't spoil anything for anyone on the other thread that is not up to date on current Walking Dead episodes, feel free to post about specific parts of The Walking Dead for discussion here.

NOTE - ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!

Don't know if this has been said cos I didn't read the thread. But be aware that we are a week behind the US. If you ruin it for me, I'll find you :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Just finished ep.2 and I haven't read the comics. :)

Is that yellowed eyed zombie going to be some kind of Zombie Randall Flagg do we think?
    There were a few shots of him all evil eyed and starey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well they seem to be implying that not only do zombies have some intelligence, using rocks and stuff, but also I think they are implying that something of the original persons personality remains. The fist sign of intelligence is the squatters zombie wife knowing that you need to turn the door handle to open the door. Zombies normal answer to doors is to just kinda mosh up against it until it falls down (usually carefully timed with breaching the windows, but I'll put that down to dramatic effect).

I would also ascribe her hanging around her family as a sign of the original personality. However a much more meaningful scene is the first time the audience sees the zombies; when that little girl zombie picked up the teddy bear what exactly was that about? A regular zombie (you know, the garden variety one you bump into every day) would have no use for stuffed animals, let alone even notice it, but these zombies not only notice things but actually *what* things beyond food, things that their former selves would have wanted.

All that being said I did enjoy the first two episodes, just pointing out weird things that I noticed. Can't remember any of these sort of things happening in the comics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Knasher wrote: »
    Well they seem to be implying that not only do zombies have some intelligence, using rocks and stuff, but also I think they are implying that something of the original persons personality remains. The fist sign of intelligence is the squatters zombie wife knowing that you need to turn the door handle to open the door. Zombies normal answer to doors is to just kinda mosh up against it until it falls down (usually carefully timed with breaching the windows, but I'll put that down to dramatic effect).
    In fairness, she didn't look like a zombie at all :pac:

Knasher wrote: »
    Well they seem to be implying that not only do zombies have some intelligence, using rocks and stuff, but also I think they are implying that something of the original persons personality remains.
    I also don't understand where all the zombies go, one minute their everywhere, next thing you know the zombies are all gone leaving a convenient escape route.

It happened at the house in the first episode when he fired the gun attracting the zombies to the house but then the zombies are gone in the morning. Same thing happened in the tank. I was expecting some MacGyver like thinking for him to try and escape from the tank instead all the zombies magically disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

adser53 wrote: »
    How long has the z outbreak being going on? Did they ever say? For the whole hospital scenario to work it mustve been less than a week? Didn't take long for his tramp of a missus to move on or for the group to get so organised.

Does it matter?

Hopefully they wont explain anything relating to what how or why, there really is no need. Regarding the main dude 1st thing i noticed was he put on his uniform as its some sort of armour and he can be the deputy in making whats going some sort of task a copper has to deal with.

In the 1st one when he goes into the park he seems either know her or is just doing his job "im sorry this happened to you". His hand shaking reminds me of Saving Private Ryan and showing hes not perfect.

My nitpick is the amount of fecking bullets they fired at the start and come episode 2 hes head shotting everything on the run :pac:

brilliant tv show

ScumLord wrote: »
    I also don't understand where all the zombies go, one minute their everywhere, next thing you know the zombies are all gone leaving a convenient escape route.

It happened at the house in the first episode when he fired the gun attracting the zombies to the house but then the zombies are gone in the morning. Same thing happened in the tank. I was expecting some MacGyver like thinking for him to try and escape from the tank instead all the zombies magically disappear.

Yeah they must be pretty aggressive to chase and then give up that fast. But I'm not sure where they go exactly... Zombies w/ ADD? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

adser53 wrote: »
    How long has the z outbreak being going on? Did they ever say? For the whole hospital scenario to work it mustve been less than a week?

Right, The dude is in Hospital. He's been on a drip as we see it still attached to him. It looked about 2L in volume. They say humans need around 1.5L ish of water a day. S benefit of the doubt we say he had 2 days in the drip.
    Now I have been googling and it seams that most websites say:

"How long can you go without water? Assuming you're in reasonable shape and in ideal conditions -- that is, not in the heat or cold and not exerting, a human can probably live for about 3 to 5 days without any water. Healthier humans can live another day or so longer."
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/death-dying/live-without-food-and-water2.htm

Other sites say between 5-10 days. So if we're being generous we could say 2 weeks since the "outbreak".

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

Right, The dude is in Hospital. He's been on a drip as we see it still attached to him. It looked about 2L in volume. They say humans need around 1.5L ish of water a day. S benefit of the doubt we say he had 2 days in the drip.
    Now I have been googling and it seams that most websites say:

"How long can you go without water? Assuming you're in reasonable shape and in ideal conditions -- that is, not in the heat or cold and not exerting, a human can probably live for about 3 to 5 days without any water. Healthier humans can live another day or so longer."
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/death-dying/live-without-food-and-water2.htm

Other sites say between 5-10 days. So if we're being generous we could say 2 weeks since the "outbreak".

You’re not taking into account that he was probably still being looked after during the initial outbreak. Also when he tried to leave his room there was a trolley up against his door. Did some one put it there to protect him from shamblers?

i think it was longer then 5 days myself, they're was way too much organization in and around the hospital for it to have happened only 5 days ago.

you'd have to go through days of initial madness and chaos, im guessing a few weeks..although..as i wrote this i had another thought, he didnt really get too far from the hospital in his car. the survivors dont seem to be too far out of the city either, hmm, tricky guessing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I like the cinematography, the story is a bit weak and has been done more than once, you can almost tell the movies they "borrowed" ideas from.

Advertisement