Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Hogzy wrote: »
    But before ye go critiscising im a student so im allowed to do things like thta:D

Its part of our culture like stealing toilet paper or buying dunnes brand lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

During the summer when i was in Guatemala i went on this volcano hike to Volcan Pacaya and at the base there are these kids with barely shoes on their feet selling sticks for you to climb with. They were 5 Quetzales each which is about .35 cents. This American couple were buying 2 and the kid only had 2 left. However one of them was about an inch or two smaller than the others. The American girl told the kid that she would only give him 3 Quetzales because it was shorter. She was gonna save about .15 cents!!! I normally wouldn't interfer but i went over and gave the kid about a fiver in front of them and said to the kid una gringa de mierda. (fu<king gringo). They always get a kick outta it when another foreigners recognizes gringo acts by gringos. But what a cheap cvnt. Some people are so money driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dunnes brand lager.

What?:eek: Never knew such a product existed! Id say its muck tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Here's a good un.... Golf outing,everyone brings a prize and the winner gets first pick and so on.No one knows who contributed what.All put on a table together

Close to Xmas ,so the second prizewinner chose a nice bottle of Jamison .

Aparently when he went to have a snifter after the Xmas dinner he got....cold fcuking tea!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

My sister regifts presents. That's grand, but I just got my birthday present from her, and she gave me the perfume gift set I gave her for Christmas, but she put the products into a pennys bag, minus the bottle of perfume, so I have a travel mirror with the name of the perfume, and a scented body lotion. Thanks sis. She still has her confirmation money, I'm not even sure what her wallet looks like as she "forgets" to bring it when shopping.

A guy I used to work with could make a pack of gum last a fortnight, he'd eat one piece on monday, put it into a tupperware container, pour a little water on it the next day, bite quarter of another piece off for flavour each day. Why???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I have loads of stories but can't remember many right now.

I know of this old woman from Limerick who I am distantly related to. The nosiest person I have ever met, but that is besides the point.

She took my grandmother out for a drive years ago, in order to give her an excuse to visit relations of my grandmother's that she didn't know but wanted to drag up dirt on them I suspect...

It was summer-time and they pulled up in a village for petrol. The stingy aul wan wanted an ice-cream cone but... said to my nan, "Will you get an ice-cream cone and we'll share it." Now... not that my nan was stingy as such, but she was no fool when it came to money.

She couldn't believe how f**ckin stingy that was...

What?:eek: Never knew such a product existed! Id say its muck tho!

Well its St Bernard lager and yes its awful stuff that tastes like iron filings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Rusty iron filings actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Im a cheapskate, In Mahon Point cinema in cork i never pay the disgracfully high prices for popcorn and a drink €9 so i go to Tesco (in the same building) and buy a big bad of Manhattan popcorn and a bottle of coke for €3

But before ye go critiscising im a student so im allowed to do things like thta:D
    Ah Hogzy, doing that is not being stingy at all. Cinemas have been ripping people off for decades now.
    I never buy anything in the cinema now, as a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Im a cheapskate, In Mahon Point cinema in cork i never pay the disgracfully high prices for popcorn and a drink €9 so i go to Tesco (in the same building) and buy a big bad of Manhattan popcorn and a bottle of coke for €3

There's a difference between being miserable and being ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I got a zinger!

My stingiest mate did this back in 6th year. My friend had forgotten his copy for french class so he asked my mate for a spare page. My mate ripped a page out and gave it to my friend. At the end of class a half an hour later no notes had been taken, the page was still blank and he actually asked for the page back :confused:! This guy used to stock up on beer cans on holidays as well and meet up with us outside the bar and drink his cans with us. We're not mates anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

You're only stingy in the cinema if you buy a small popcorn and expect it to do your 4 kids...but if you're that stingy you probably won't pay for 4 others to go to the cinema :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

There was five of us doing rounds one night, it got around to one of my mates round, and just as people were finishing their pints he went up and got himself one and then went for a smoke. Stinge bag!

Also saw a women in mcdonalds asking for more chips in her bag of chips, the guy was so confused he didn't know what to do, the bag was full as it could be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

A (very close) family member was going to give me a present for Christmas but she "lost" it so gave me the receipt instead.

Rusty iron filings actually.

Wow Bantam imagine the ****e you would make after drinking rusty iron filings?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

One guy i knew from college would regularly come out clubbing with us. He hated paying in anywhere but knew that we would always force him. To counteract this he'd purposely dress down and wear dirty runners going on a night out so as the bouncers on the door would refuse him and then we'd all go to some grundgy dump.

Would also never pay for a drink, one time he was guilted into it paying for his round. We had ordered 4 heineken or something like that. He went down to the bar and asked for 4 bavaria in heineken glasses.

Another time he invited us over to his house which was a 3 story mansion in a very well to do part of Dublin. IT was december but he refused to put the heat on, even after we all put our jackets back on.

Another chap I knew in College took the bulb out of the fridge to save on electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There are many but this one is up there with stingyness .

Some years ago we had a big family reunion in a Dublin hotel with some relatives arrving for the weekend (at their own expense) from various parts of Europe including my sister from France. ( names wont be mentioned to spare the shame ;) ) Anyhow, my sisters flight was delayed which ment she arrived late at the function and missed the main meal .The meal had being arranged by a relative who suggested we all chip in 30 odd euros to help with costs , no problem and the evening went accordingly well .We all returned home after the great weekend and a few weeks later while talking to sister on phone she remarked how annoyed she was to arrive at the function to miss the meal ,if only cos she was starving from the long day travelling and delay and hadent eaten much on the day .Then she stunned me by saying

'' ah well , at least i sent the cheque to

'' for the meal '' .

What ? I said , you sent a cheque for the meal ??? how come ??? .

Well sister replied ''
    ---- sent me a request for payment for the meal ''

After travelling all the way at her own expense this tosser had the gall to ask for payment for a meal .........A meal she never ate :eek:

Under the same circumstances I would have told him were to stick his request but were talking about a guy who has the reputation for meaness .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

http://xkcd.com/526/
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    Using a standard Guinnes pint glass, a 4cm high head would be roughly 113ml. Considering the pint is 568ml, thats roughly 20% of the pint as head.

In other words he's dead right to send it back, and you must possess **** bartending skills.

And no way is 4cm head the standard...:rolleyes:
    let the games begin!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Worst thing I've seen is people picking cigarette butt's up off the street and getting that last drag out of them.

Yeuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

one teacher i work with is legendary on staff for stingyness. whenever we have a christmas/end of year party she never puts her name down for it but inevitably turns up towards the end, usually around the time dessert is to be served and so gets a free dessert and a few glasses of wine if there's a few bottles on the table and then stays on for the entertainment if it's a party night set up. We were so fed up of this last year that we put up a notice for the end of year meal with the time an hour earlier than we had booked, so naturally she turned up expecting us to be finished main course and got a bit of a shock when we were just about to sit down and give our orders when she arrived. She had no choice but to pay for the full meal. :pac:

she regularly comes back to school after 4 to use the internet instead of using it at home, even though she might only need it for 2 minutes.
    There was also one time when she landed in with a roast which she put into an oven in the home economics room to cook for dinner rather than cook it at home.

the woman is not short of a bob or two either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Another chap I knew in College took the bulb out of the fridge to save on electricity.

Thats a new one:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Really bad story but I once saw a women pick the sh1te out of a nappy and put it back on the baby again

The sh1te or the nappy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

one teacher i work with is legendary on staff for stingyness. whenever we have a christmas/end of year party she never puts her name down for it but inevitably turns up towards the end, usually around the time dessert is to be served and so gets a free dessert and a few glasses of wine if there's a few bottles on the table and then stays on for the entertainment if it's a party night set up. We were so fed up of this last year that we put up a notice for the end of year meal with the time an hour earlier than we had booked, so naturally she turned up expecting us to be finished main course and got a bit of a shock when we were just about to sit down and give our orders when she arrived. She had no choice but to pay for the full meal. :pac:

she regularly comes back to school after 4 to use the internet instead of using it at home, even though she might only need it for 2 minutes.
    There was also one time when she landed in with a roast which she put into an oven in the home economics room to cook for dinner rather than cook it at home.

the woman is not short of a bob or two either.

What does she think she is? A student?! :P :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

At a friends wedding a few years ago, the mega wealthy relative (there's always at least one) gave her a can opener as a gift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

Among many, many things, when my wife was young, the mother was so stingy, the daughter (and her sisters) had to spend her babysitting money in order to buy food to feed herself weekly.
    The mother would NEVER buy toys for the kids, only give them what was donated or shared.
    The mother was and still is so stingy that (after I had words with her) for the wifes birthday she actually went and bought a €9.99 doll for her birthday. A cheap plastic doll.
    She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

Where is her husband? For many years he was in the army and was away a lot. When he came home - he saw how things were and stayed away from there too (and who could blame him!).

When the wife moved out of home and moved in with me, the mother turned up at our door a week later and asked the daughter if she would still be handing up part of her weekly wage to the mother!
    I won't repeat the words of expression I used to the mother in law, I'll leave that to your imagination.
    She tried begging for money too after that - I had just two words for her each time.

You want to meet a stingy person, I'll introduce you to one of the scummiest best (or worst - depending on perspectives).

The day she dies, I'll spit on her grave and sing "Hallelujah".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Biggins wrote: »
    My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

Among many, many things, when my wife was young, the mother was so stingy, the daughter (and her sisters) had to spend her babysitting money in order to buy food to feed herself weekly.
    The mother would NEVER buy toys for the kids, only give them what was donated or shared.
    The mother was and still is so stingy that (after I had words with her) for the wifes birthday she actually went and bought a €9.99 doll for her birthday. A cheap plastic doll.
    She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

Where is her husband? For many years he was in the army and was away a lot. When he came home - he saw how things were and stayed away from there too (and who could blame him!).

When the wife moved out of home and moved in with me, the mother turned up at our door a week later and asked the daughter if she would still be handing up part of her weekly wage to the mother!
    I won't repeat the words of expression I used to the mother in law, I'll leave that to your imagination.
    She tried begging for money too after that - I had just two words for her each time.

You want to meet a stingy person, I'll introduce you to one of the scummiest best (or worst - depending on perspectives).

The day she dies, I'll spit on her grave and sing "Hallelujah".

Makes you wonder, what exactly do these people do with all the money they save? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.

thats not stingy. thats just ingenious!

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Makes you wonder, what exactly do these people do with all the money they save? :confused:

Nothing, they just seem to get a perverse pleasure out of having lots of money for which they have no use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement