Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Cork Friday 31st Oct

Options
  • 28-10-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Regularly travel on the 9pm train to Cork on a Friday evening. I have never had any problems booking etc. Went to book today for this Friday and I see it is sold out? No idea why? Maybe there is something on in Cork or something?

Anyway my question is do they release all seats via web or could I turn up Friday and book a seat? I have never seen this before.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No it's unlikely to be sold out - it's probably down to issues with whatever train is supposed to operate it. Keep an eye on the website as it could be a temporary issue.

You can certainly book on the day at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

lxflyer wrote: »
    No it's unlikely to be sold out - it's probably down to issues with whatever train is supposed to operate it. Keep an eye on the website as it could be a temporary issue.

You can certainly book on the day at the station.

Thanks!

One other question. How much am I likely to pay booking on the day at the station? Dublin to Cork or even Dublin to Thurles which will be cheaper would work as I can get a lift from Thurles.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Showing sold out which is different that the not available

Its down as an 5 car ICR

Not many seats left on the 20:00 either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Funny how trains in the 1970s, 1980s and 1980s comprising of Laminates, MkIIs or MkIIIs were never sold out....:rolleyes:

The 21:00 is bookable again - it may have been a change of train type.

Showing sold out which is different that the not available

Its down as an 5 car ICR

Not many seats left on the 20:00 either

They use that symbol sometimes when there is a set swap involved.

There is no 20:00 service.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Funny how trains in the 1970s, 1980s and 1980s comprising of Laminates, MkIIs or MkIIIs were never sold out....:rolleyes:

In fairness, there wasn't the current frequency or choice of services either. In the 1980s-1990s, I remember having to stand in the vestibule for many a journey - or even having to share the toilet cubicle. :eek:

Again this train is showing as not bookable for Friday 19th December. I have emailed Irish Rail again but it is very strange.

rs8wte.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Last Friday before Christmas, seems like a good bet it's very very busy.

devnull wrote: »
    Last Friday before Christmas, seems like a good bet it's very very busy.

But the 6 or 7pm trains still have loads of space, unlikely. I use this line a lot and I have seen the 6pm and/or 7pm sold out but never the 9pm.

As before, it sounds like a problem with the set/booking engine.

Drop them an email or give them a buzz.

Thanks guys, it's booking again now.

Advertisement