Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I would highly recommend something like this.
    http://www.clove.co.uk/microusb-to-magnetic-connector-adapter
    Loads of similar things on ebay/amazon.
    I have a dock for my z1 compact and its great not having to open up usb flaps when charging phone.

Also phone is a tad cheaper on clove 464e inc p&p to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

According to GSM Arena, the Z2 has a 3200 mAH battery and the newer Z3 only has 3100 mAH. I'm guessing this is because of the reduced thickness of the phone but do you think it will still have the outstanding battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

sebcity wrote: »
    According to GSM Arena, the Z2 has a 3200 mAH battery and the newer Z3 only has 3100 mAH. I'm guessing this is because of the reduced thickness of the phone but do you think it will still have the outstanding battery life?

I'd imagine it will still have a great battery life, the lower amount is minimal so shouldn't hit it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone know of any Irish suppliers selling this for around the same price? Do Sony set the prices? I can claim the VAT back which is why I'm asking, easier than having to request an EX VAT purchase from UK etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'd imagine it will still have a great battery life, the lower amount is minimal so shouldn't hit it too much.

Just read a few reviews there, the battery life is still great.
    I think I'll invest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Was looking for a new phone but dislike the bigger phones like the M8. The Z3 compact seems to be it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

MiCr0 wrote: »

Thats great news - was thinking of buying it outright and getting a 30 day sim plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hope they drop the price of the z1 compact! would love the z3 compact but would be happy with a cheaper z1 compact.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The Z3 Compact has a significantly lower battery than the normal z3. It's a little closer to the HTC One. I wonder what the difference really is

Battery is amazing according to this review

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3_compact-review-1135.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

I currently have the z1 compact, if the battery is improved on the z3 compact it would be amazing, I currently on heavy usage get at least a day and a half from mine, normal use and I'd get two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

One tiny little annoyance about the Z3. Sony said on the Xperia Facetube page they won't be bundling the noise cancelling headphones with it. Only a minor thing, but would've been nice to get them.

Its probably to keep the cost of handset down, im sure some might do a bundle, or you could get one on ebay

Can anyone advise me why I shouldnt get this handset?

I currently have a HTC One and my main usage is:

Internet and Email (about 75% usage)
    Texts, very little calls
    Decent amount of photos (10%)
    Dont really play games on it.
    Just usual apps like maps, Google Now.

I need something with a half decent camera, and a very good battery (I normally get around 8 hours of battery out of the One).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

antodeco wrote:
    Can anyone advise me why I shouldnt get this handset?

If your not happy with the battery of the One and you want a best in class camera you should get a Z3/C.

beno619 wrote: »
    If your not happy with the battery of the One and you want a best in class camera you should get a Z3/C.

If the camera and battery were better on the One, I'd have no reason to change! Guess I'll give the missus the One and keep the Z3 for myself! I'll have to have a look at the Z3 and Z3 compact side by side to decide which one!

I know Cyagenmod 11 (excuse me if I've got the name wrong) is on the Z1c and allows OTA updates to be updated as they are rolled out by the coders, would anyone have any idea how long it might take for the same thing to be on the Z3c? I always prefer having stock android instead of each manufacturers own spin on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Interesting.

Didn't expect the Z3 to be out for another couple of months.

Z3 is roughly the same size as the M8 looking at the dimensions. It'll be either that or the new Nexus..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Are Vodafone doing the Z3? I currently have the S4 but have been looking at the Z2 and it looks amazing. Can only imagine how good the Z3 will be

The vodafone plans aren't really worth it, I remember looking into it just recently, and it was a much better choice to buy the handset and go on Vodafones cheaper non contract plan. Weigh it up against your own usage of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

cormie wrote: »
    The vodafone plans aren't really worth it, I remember looking into it just recently, and it was a much better choice to buy the handset and go on Vodafones cheaper non contract plan. Weigh it up against your own usage of course.

How much is the Z3 though?

Above it can get got for about €440 or so I think? I think I remember weighing up the cost of a vodafone "phone" plan against a sim only plan and it was working out €480 or so more expensive over the course of 24 month contract, so I would have been much better off just buying a phone and going on a sim only plan as I think it was more minutes, texts, data and no contract, plus, come January 2016, there should be the EU network collaboration so that should see more deals coming I guess so it would be good to be out of contract for then!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Someone pointed out that the z3 is cheaper on clove uk site.
    I wouldn't mind getting one there, but I don't know much about clove, never ordered from them before.

Are they reliable? Anybody got any reviews about them?

Sony are saying middle of next week now, which ties in with what CPW are saying too.

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Someone pointed out that the z3 is cheaper on clove uk site.
    I wouldn't mind getting one there, but I don't know much about clove, never ordered from them before.

Are they reliable? Anybody got any reviews about them?

Just on this. Is there customs charged if I order from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Daith wrote: »
    Just on this. Is there customs charged if I order from here?
    Get a Parcel Motel account, send it to the Northern Ireland address and Nightline will bring it down the border for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Theres no customs buying from the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bush wrote: »
    Theres no customs buying from the uk

Caution on that, if coming from the Channel Islands or The Isle of Man then there might be. (Got caught out once when getting a DVD from play.com)

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. Torn between just buying this and waiting for the next Nexus phone. I don't think I'll be disappointed with the compact judging by reviews though.

Advertisement