Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options
  • 03-09-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭

So Sony at the IFA this year have announced the often leaked Z3 and Z3 Compacts.

I personally think they look gorgeous, though I don't see a huge change physically from the Z2 except for the the much slimmer size and tiny bezel!

Z3 Compact just looks bloody amazing though!

And it looks like they have decided to release an Android Wear Smartwatch too, which I think is the best action for them. The SmartWatch 2 is grand, but lack of proper Google services is a bit of a letdown. Aesthetically its not astounding to me, but still bloody good looking. 2 days battery seems very good too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So Sony at the IFA this year have announced the often leaked Z3 and Z3 Compacts.

I personally think they look gorgeous, though I don't see a huge change physically from the Z2 except for the the much slimmer size and tiny bezel!

Z3 Compact just looks bloody amazing though!

And it looks like they have decided to release an Android Wear Smartwatch too, which I think is the best action for them. The SmartWatch 2 is grand, but lack of proper Google services is a bit of a letdown. Aesthetically its not astounding to me, but still bloody good looking. 2 days battery seems very good too!

Did they mention a release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Did they mention a release date?

October I think for everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Not much excitement around it though

iPhone 5 user out of contract. Was about to get the iphone 6 but the PS4 play sounds amazing! Could be what sways me

Much better specs that what's rumoured for iphone. Battery life and expandable storage for a start!

Would anyone leave iOS for this? I've a MBP and iPad too

No idea what android is like these days, would love to know how others found the Z2

Not much excitement around it though

iPhone 5 user out of contract. Was about to get the iphone 6 but the PS4 play sounds amazing! Could be what sways me

Much better specs that what's rumoured for iphone. Battery life and expandable storage for a start!

Would anyone leave iOS for this? I've a MBP and iPad too

No idea what android is like these days, would love to know how others found the Z2

I picked up a Z2 maybe 2 or 3 months ago and absolutely love it. Battery life is immense, never less than two days out of it, quite often get 3 days.
    Camera is just beautiful on it, I'm not a photographer by any means, but I'm yet to take a bad picture on my Z2.

Android has come leaps and bounds in the last few years, and IMO is now better than iOS in all ways. No more stability issues on high end devices, Chrome runs smooth as hell and additions like Chromecast adds a lot more too.

iOS8 is literally only adding features already available on Android. I'd advise holding out for both the iPhone 6 and Z3 to be on the market and then compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

:eek:

i read somewhere the Z3 compact tablet might be priced at 499 euros !!!!!

are they mad?

http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-News-Tablets-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Tablet-Compact-10845157.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Spipov wrote: »
    :eek:

i read somewhere the Z3 compact tablet might be priced at 499 euros !!!!!

are they mad?

http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-News-Tablets-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Tablet-Compact-10845157.html

I'd say it's more likely to be priced in line with the retina ipad mini @ €399.
    I'll definitely be picking one up, I was tempted by the shield but I'm glad I waited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

The pricing has turned me right off this phone, ah well.. back to searching for a Oneplus One invite while I nurse my broken Note 3 :rolleyes:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sonys_z3_family_gets_official_prices_in_europe_preorders_start-news-9542.php
    The flagship Xperia Z3 smartphone goes for €649 in Germany, €679 in France, and €699 in Italy and Spain. In the UK, it's £549.
    The smaller Xperia Z3 Compact costs €499 in Germany, France, Italy, and Spain, and £429 in the UK.
    The Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact starts at €379 in Germany, France, and Spain (for the 16GB Wi-Fi model), and €399 in Italy. The same entry level SKU is priced at £329 in the UK.
    The tablet can also be had with 32GB of internal storage, in which case you'll need to pay €429 in Germany, France, and Spain, €449 in Italy, and £379 in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

That pricing is wrong the z1 compact price on release was 440/450 it's not going to go up 50/60e.
    It's too early for prices at this stage,will be another month before you see real info on pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

billbond4 wrote: »

at that price im getting a tab s 8.

seriously.

• Advertisement

Spipov wrote: »
    at that price im getting a tab s 8.

seriously.

Were you expecting it to be cheaper than a tab s?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Madness on the pricing
    Id expect them all to drop sharply enough like all other Xperia devices

German preorder prices.

Xperia Z3 €649.00
    Xperia Z3 Compact €499.00
    Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact Wi-Fi (16GB) €379.00 [Style Cover SCR28 for €0.01]
    Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact Wi-Fi (32GB) €429.00 [Style Cover SCR28 for €0.01]
    Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact LTE (16GB) €479.00 [Style Cover SCR28 for €0.01]

German preorder prices.

Xperia Z3 €649.00

Yeah i would say prices will drop a bit by Christmas

€379 for the base model tablet seems fair enough, that undercuts the standard price of both the tab s and mini retina.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm due an upgrade and was waiting to see what the iPhone 6 brought to the marketplace. I'm a little underwhelmed! So, I think I'll get myself a Z3. Can anyone explain the difference.between the Z3 and Z3 compact? It's it just size and battery? I can't see any other difference. I currently have a HTC One. Would these be a nice move, our is there any other phone I should be looking at?

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm due an upgrade and was waiting to see what the iPhone 6 brought to the marketplace. I'm a little underwhelmed! So, I think I'll get myself a Z3. Can anyone explain the difference.between the Z3 and Z3 compact? It's it just size and battery? I can't see any other difference. I currently have a HTC One. Would these be a nice move, our is there any other phone I should be looking at?

Only really difference does seem to be size and battery, like the Z1 and Z1 Compact. Z3 looks great though.

The M8 is a good one too, but not a huge upgrade from the M7.

That's one of the reasons why I'm steering away form the M8. HTC One is great, but the camera and battery let me down big time. I get around 7am - 9pm out of the phone. The Z3 battery is massively appealing, as is the dust proof and water proof element to it. 20MP camera is another clincher for me.

That's one of the reasons why I'm steering away form the M8. HTC One is great, but the camera and battery let me down big time. I get around 7am - 9pm out of the phone. The Z3 battery is massively appealing, as is the dust proof and water proof element to it. 20MP camera is another clincher for me.

My Z2 tends to last me well over 24 hours on a charge, I've gotten near 40 when I'm off work and use it a bit less, just Facebook and browsing.

About 80% of my usage would be browsing/Facebook/checking emails. The remainder would mainly be text and a few calls. I would use the hotspot, camera, YouTube and a few small other things as well. The keyboard on the One drives me mad as well! Any ideas when the Z3 are out? I'll have to compare the compact side by side with the full Z3.

• Advertisement

Can anyone explain the difference.between the Z3 and Z3 compact? It's it just size and battery?

Size, Battery and as far as I know the processor in the Z3 mini is different, Sony are using the same processor in the Z3 Mini/Compact as the Z2 has, which is pretty decent too.

I was looking to get one of the Z3's but my contract is not up until April ( Which is when Id expect the Z4 to be launched ) :D So ill probably just wait for that, or if I get bored of my M8 in the meantime, sell that and get a Z3.

Btw has anyone actually properly got their Xperia Z phones wet? My brother had one on holidays last year and he tried to take a pic a few inches under water and the phone drowned to death :( ( I think he has a Z1)

Size, Battery and as far as I know the processor in the Z3 mini is different, Sony are using the same processor in the Z3 Mini/Compact as the Z2 has, which is pretty decent too.

I was looking to get one of the Z3's but my contract is not up until April ( Which is when Id expect the Z4 to be launched ) :D So ill probably just wait for that, or if I get bored of my M8 in the meantime, sell that and get a Z3.

Btw has anyone actually properly got their Xperia Z phones wet? My brother had one on holidays last year and he tried to take a pic a few inches under water and the phone drowned to death :( ( I think he has a Z1)

I have to admit I work for a phone network, so I have a few phones, both Android and iOS.

I've shown off the Z2 to customers in the various stores I'd visit by asking one of staff to get a big bowl of water and dropping the phone in it with a video playing, never had a problem.

It sounds like your brother may not have had the seals down fully on the phone sadly. Bit of a pain that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

German preorder prices.

Xperia Z3 €649.00

What is this website? Fancy the z3 compact but its 530 or so on amazon.

That was taken from xperiablog.net http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/09/05/xperia-z3-series-hits-pre-order-in-europe-arrives-late-september/
    Sony are saying it will be available in Ireland from the 22 September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Just ordered it off handtec. 470 delivered

http://www.handtec.co.uk/sony-xperia-z3-16gb-compact-white.html

Think I'll get this on my upgrade now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Perhaps it was sea water? It's not sea water proof!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Perhaps it was sea water? It's not sea water proof!

Ha, yeah it was sea water.

• Advertisement

Clove are doing preorder for 437e Inc vat for the z3 compact

Advertisement